Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Could also be a formatting error, doubling the row above + auto-correct/format or sth. I am pretty sure that there is no divertimento neither in d minor nor from 1803.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

The piece on IMSLP listed as Hob III:D3  is actually in D major, though the list of Haydn compositions there says D minor and 1803. So basically the Wikipedia article is now picking up and perpetuating the mistake that is on IMSLP.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

And I think it's actually by Albrechtsberger.

So I've changed the Wikipedia page. IMSLP can sort themselves out.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

In 1803, Haydn finally permitted the publication of what we now call Opus 103, which is in d minor. He had held off on Op. 77 #3 for all this time in the hope he could finish it, but no. No one to my knowledge has ever called it a divertimento. To me, this is an example of people being overly anxious to publish things without doing any research.

By 1803 he was not writing anything but arrangements of Scottish Songs for Thompson.  :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jo498

By the very format Hob.III:D3 shows that it is an uncertain piece, the third string quartet/Divertimento in D major attributed to Haydn. So there are at least two more that were at some stage attributed to him, suppose. As you say, it is now attributed to Albrechtsberger and from around 1763, not 1803...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Sorry to have caused all this trouble

OR

Pleased to have caused all this pleasure

Take your pick.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

jwinter

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 02, 2019, 04:18:43 PM
I see quite a few copies on Amazon. Is it back in circulation at least in Europe? Worth 80 bucks or so?

Well, I took the plunge, and after listening to 2 CDs from this (one with 73-75, one with 93-95), I am extremely pleased... My first impression is that performance-wise I agree with how PW characterized the samples he encountered, they're fun and quite lively performances, particularly compared to the Dorati set.  It's a real shame this wasn't widely known back in the day.

The sound is very good IMO for having been remastered from LPs -- there's no surface noise that I can detect (though I haven't listened through headphones), and while the dynamic range isn't quite as wide as one could wish, it's a fine, late 60's stereo recording.  Think of some of the classic 60's repertoire (Bernstein, Szell, etc.) as it sounded on CD in the 90's before the most recent high-tech remasterings -- to my ears it seems equivalent to that, minus the tape hiss.  It's not something you'll praise specifically for it's clarity or sound quality, but it's certainly quite pleasant to hear.  I think the sound is better than the Musicweb review of the MP3 DVD version quoted above seems to indicate, which makes me suspect that Scribendum indeed did their own remastering (I haven't heard the MP3s so can't compare).

If the rest of the set is as consistent as the 2 CDs I've heard so far (a sizeable "if"), I think this will easily become my personal top option for exploring Haydn's lesser known symphonies.  I already prefer the general approach here to Dorati, who seems rather slow and unrhythmic compared to this.  I need to re-listen to more of Adam Fischer to make a fair comparison, but so far this set just seems more to my personal taste.

Are there better non-HIP performances of the London & Paris symphonies out there?  Of course; I'm not saying it's better than Szell or Jochum or Bernstein.   But for a complete set, I'm very pleased to have this.

P.S. -- Sarge, if Szell's bassoon fart is a perfect 10, I'd rate this around an 8 -- very nicely done, though I wish he'd left a fraction of a second's pause to heighten the effect... :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

André

Is it a box with paper sleeves, or individual plastic cases (hopefully the former) ?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jwinter on July 12, 2019, 07:35:54 AM
P.S. -- Sarge, if Szell's bassoon fart is a perfect 10, I'd rate this around an 8 -- very nicely done...

I appreciate a good fart joke  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jwinter

Quote from: André on July 12, 2019, 07:43:20 AM
Is it a box with paper sleeves, or individual plastic cases (hopefully the former) ?

Paper sleeves.  No booklet.  Compact box, much smaller than the Brilliant Fischer, about the same as the older Dorati boxset. 

Each sleeve art has the same layout with a spot for a portrait of Haydn -- I will give them props for finding different pictures of Haydn for each individual disc.

jwinter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 12, 2019, 08:17:01 AM
I appreciate a good fart joke  8)

Sarge

Doesn't everyone?  :) 
Too many George Carlin albums in my misspent youth...

André

Quote from: jwinter on July 12, 2019, 09:13:54 AM
Paper sleeves.  No booklet.  Compact box, much smaller than the Brilliant Fischer, about the same as the older Dorati boxset. 

Each sleeve art has the same layout with a spot for a portrait of Haydn -- I will give them props for finding different pictures of Haydn for each individual disc.

Thanks!

60-90 seconds clips can be sampled on HaydnHouse's website:

http://www.haydnhouse.com/Maerzendorfer%20Haydn.htm

Would you say they are representative of what the discs offer ?

jwinter

Quote from: André on July 12, 2019, 01:12:39 PM
Thanks!

60-90 seconds clips can be sampled on HaydnHouse's website:

http://www.haydnhouse.com/Maerzendorfer%20Haydn.htm

Would you say they are representative of what the discs offer ?

I've sampled some of the clips... I think the CDs sound a little better, though I can't do an absolute A-B comparison since my computer isn't hooked up to my main stereo.  It's not a big difference though -- I would say that if you are happy with the samples you can buy with confidence -- the sound definitely is not worse.

aukhawk

Woo-hoo!  A cheer to mark 600 pages of this epic thread, devoted to Papa Haydn.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: aukhawk on July 14, 2019, 09:57:44 AM
Woo-hoo!  A cheer to mark 600 pages of this epic thread, devoted to Papa Haydn.

Woo-hoo indeed! I am particularly delighted, Haydn has earned the acclaim, we bring tribute!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Life has been taking me on a merry ride of late, and I fear the Further Adventures of J. Haydn had been put on hold for a bit. Now, however, a new installment, and at a fortuitous time in world history; the end of the 18th century!  Was there ever a defined period which saw such major changes in the status quo? In any case, this 6th Anniversary essay addresses that just a bit, along with the enormity of Haydn's creation, The Creation.

Fin de Siècle, it's not just for the 19th century any more!

Hope you enjoy it, thanks!

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 14, 2019, 06:56:10 PM
Woo-hoo indeed! I am particularly delighted, Haydn has earned the acclaim, we bring tribute!  :)

8)

Right on!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 14, 2019, 07:02:03 PM
Life has been taking me on a merry ride of late, and I fear the Further Adventures of J. Haydn had been put on hold for a bit. Now, however, a new installment, and at a fortuitous time in world history; the end of the 18th century!  Was there ever a defined period which saw such major changes in the status quo? In any case, this 6th Anniversary essay addresses that just a bit, along with the enormity of Haydn's creation, The Creation.

Fin de Siècle, it's not just for the 19th century any more!

Hope you enjoy it, thanks!

8)

Indeed, enjoyed!
Although growing up it was Haydn=Symphonies.  I can't be certain exactly when I first heard of The Creation, but it was well into adulthood. Whereas the Farewell and Surprise symphonies were known to me in childhood.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on July 14, 2019, 07:32:59 PM
Indeed, enjoyed!
Although growing up it was Haydn=Symphonies.  I can't be certain exactly when I first heard of The Creation, but it was well into adulthood. Whereas the Farewell and Surprise symphonies were known to me in childhood.

Delighted! In fact, the same is true for me. I have recounted how "Military" & "Surprise" were my first classical album. When I listened to classical music afterwards, it was instrumental. I didn't really get into vocal/choral music until 10-12 years ago, but then, The Creation was one of my first choices, and have always been very fond of it.  :)

8)

Madiel

The beginning of The Creation alone is worth the price of admission. Honestly, I don't remember much else, "and there was light" is enough.