Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukhawk

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 06, 2019, 04:37:33 AM
My intro to Haydn came when I was quite young, on an LP with 94/100, although I'm damned if I can recall the performers, despite searching for images of the cover.  :'(

Well - my intro to Haydn came when I was quite young (I may have related this tale before) - as a toddler, my father used to dandle me on his knee whilst humming the tune of the Surprise symphony - then opening his knees to dump me onto the floor at the surprising moment.  Needless to add, this routine rapidly became quite tedious even to little me, lacking as I did the sophistication of the 18thC concert-goer  ::) - but dad was quite good at improvising freely on which precise note the surprise would happen!

Mandryka

Quote from: Daverz on August 05, 2019, 06:46:12 PM
Quartetto Italiano on a Quintessence Lp.

Do they make the joke sound like . . . funny?

Found it, and they do not.

https://www.youtube.com/v/o2BYiVnYfGQ&list=OLAK5uy_nfi08AqSct1XPHnjR8MkTLO1-OtQh6_x0&index=9
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Quote from: aukhawk on August 06, 2019, 09:37:22 AM
Well - my intro to Haydn came when I was quite young (I may have related this tale before) - as a toddler, my father used to dandle me on his knee whilst humming the tune of the Surprise symphony - then opening his knees to dump me onto the floor at the surprising moment.  Needless to add, this routine rapidly became quite tedious even to little me, lacking as I did the sophistication of the 18thC concert-goer  ::) - but dad was quite good at improvising freely on which precise note the surprise would happen!

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Your dad had a Haydnesque sense of humour, it seems.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Gurn Blanston

:D ;D :D Love that. So he did a Minkowski on you, before that was a thing! ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on August 06, 2019, 07:06:43 AM
Thinking further....the Kodaly Op 76 may have been my second Haydn quartet purchase.  I got this set  just about the same time, and can't remember which came first.

That looks a good one. I have gotten where I like the disks of mixed quartets instead of the complete opera. The Schuppanzigh's have 3 of them, and the Amsterdam have 2, plus a couple of others. And they aren't necessarily a cherry-picking of just the "best" one of each opus, either. Somehow that's more entertaining for me. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 06, 2019, 10:55:51 AM
That looks a good one. I have gotten where I like the disks of mixed quartets instead of the complete opera. The Schuppanzigh's have 3 of them, and the Amsterdam have 2, plus a couple of others. And they aren't necessarily a cherry-picking of just the "best" one of each opus, either. Somehow that's more entertaining for me. :)

8)

Nice to mix things up.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

JBS

UK release date mid September, US release date early October

[Does Michael have his own thread?]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on August 26, 2019, 07:17:44 PM
UK release date mid September, US release date early October

[Does Michael have his own thread?]

Sweet! And about time, I might add. If Joseph had never existed, Michael would have been considered a top composer of the time, right after Mozart. :)

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 27, 2019, 04:16:44 AM
Sweet! And about time, I might add. If Joseph had never existed, Michael would have been considered a top composer of the time, right after Mozart. :)

8)
Wow. Did they commission someone to record the symphonies? The only one I know of that did pretty much all (or most) of them is on CPO. Naxos have a few discs too I think, though not sure how many. I am curious!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 27, 2019, 04:16:44 AM

8)

It was to a lesser degree CPE Bach case too: both of them were heroes among gods. :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Jo498

It's mostly already existing recordings from other labels. The symphonies seem to be mainly taken from the ones Farberman recorded for VOX. I don't know if there were 7 discs of these VOX recordings, I have about three and they are quite good.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/michael-haydn-collection/hnum/9262178
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

I love the late Haydn symphonies: the Paris, London, and "Oxford"/in-between symphonies are all great. I really like the recordings of Colin Davis, Frans Brüggen, and a new favorite is George Szell with the Cleveland Orchestra. But beyond this and a few string quartets, I am mostly clueless about Haydn.

I'm interested in his so called Sturm und Drang symphonies. Is there any recording out there as an alternate to the famous Pinnock box set of these? I'm not sure I trust Pinnock's interpretive ability with Haydn, though his Bach is good. Perhaps I'll give it a shot, or maybe I should hold out for a complete set such as the Ádám Fischer...?

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 06, 2019, 04:55:11 AM
I love the late Haydn symphonies: the Paris, London, and "Oxford"/in-between symphonies are all great. I really like the recordings of Colin Davis, Frans Brüggen, and a new favorite is George Szell with the Cleveland Orchestra. But beyond this and a few string quartets, I am mostly clueless about Haydn.

I'm interested in his so called Sturm und Drang symphonies. Is there any recording out there as an alternate to the famous Pinnock box set of these? I'm not sure I trust Pinnock's interpretive ability with Haydn, though his Bach is good. Perhaps I'll give it a shot, or maybe I should hold out for a complete set such as the Ádám Fischer...?

Is the Bruno Weil reissue mini-set Sturm und Drang?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

Weil has a bunch of the most famous "Sturm und Drang", like the "Farewell" but not all of them, I think. It is not a clearly delineated group anyway but usually around 20 symphonies from the late 1760s and early 1770s are collected under that moniker.

FWIW, I think Pinnock is very good and highly recommendable as a set. But I have only heard a few of Weil's and it's been a long time ago. Not sure if Bruggen's is still available as boxed set. He is more varied, occasionally mannered and maybe not as clearly a first recommendation as the more straightforward Pinnock.
Derek Solomons' abandoned Haydn project encompassed most of these pieces as well but they were never all on CD and have mostly been oop for a long time, if you find his #39, #45, #48, #49, #59, get them. They are very lean and intense, almost monomanic with a small string section and prominent horns and winds.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 06, 2019, 04:55:11 AM

They're all in the big Hogwood box. Originally these were separate 3-CD volumes, and so a couple of those volumes covered the Sturm and Drang period.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I just checked the different boxes: Pinnock has 19 symphonies, Weil's Sony box has 12 from that period (+82-90), missing a few important ones like 48 and 49. Hogwood has a slightly different distribution on the discs (and not always so well-filled), so one would have to get his volume 5 and 8 (incl. #50) as well, I guess.

I am generally not a huge Pinnock fan but these Haydn symphonies are really very good. (I prefer them to Hogwood, although I cannot compare the exact same pieces as I have three different volumes from the latters series.) There is now also a larger box that includes also 6-8, and 2 discs with concertos and 3 with sacred music.
- Blaise Pascal