Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: George on March 26, 2020, 07:23:45 PM
Yowza!

That set is now $800 on amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Symphonies-35-Christopher-Hogwood/dp/B01BHFPU3S/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bruggen+haydn+symphonies&qid=1585279364&sr=8-8

Looks like that is a mix of Hogwood and Brüggen in the London symphonies.  I am surprised that set is already OOP. 

The incomplete Hogwood set is cheaper than that:

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]

The all Brüggen set was here (not currently available):

https://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Sturm-Drang-London-Symphonies/dp/B00O1A8YCG

Amazon.de does list some  used copies:

https://www.amazon.de/Sturm-J-Haydn/dp/B00O1A8YCG

Jo498

Brüggen is very good and my main "HIP" set for the London works (I have the bigger box with Sturm&Drang, Paris etc.) but I would not pay premium or spend too much energy to hunt them down. Kuijken would be another option for "Paris" onwards, Pinnock (Archiv) has a very good (more straightforward than Brüggen) of the Sturm and Drang, although some of my favorite Sturm und Drang are probably from the incomplete (mostly unfindable and not even all on CD) early 1980s recordings by Derek Solomons (CBS).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

I like Goodman and Fey a lot more than Minkowski. They're my favourite HIP performances, Goodman being my favourite tout court. For the Paris symphonies, my vote goes to Harnoncourt. I find his London symphonies disappointing, though. The difference is striking. With the Concentus Musicus the orchestral conception is stunning. With the RCOA it's just another big band version.

I first heard the middle (sturm und drang) symphonies with Marriner and the ASMIF and am still partial to them. The balance btw zest and warmth, elegance and drama is just perfect IMO.

vers la flamme

Quote from: André on March 27, 2020, 05:00:39 AM
I like Goodman and Fey a lot more than Minkowski. They're my favourite HIP performances, Goodman being my favourite tout court. For the Paris symphonies, my vote goes to Harnoncourt. I find his London symphonies disappointing, though. The difference is striking. With the Concentus Musicus the orchestral conception is stunning. With the RCOA it's just another big band version.

I first heard the middle (sturm und drang) symphonies with Marriner and the ASMIF and am still partial to them. The balance btw zest and warmth, elegance and drama is just perfect IMO.

Really, that's too bad. I loved the Harnoncourt/RCO London Symphonies that I've heard. I would say they are at least partly HIP, not "just another big band version". For instance listen to Colin Davis with the same orchestra then listen to the Harnoncourt. The difference is striking. Harnoncourt is definitely applying HIP principles to a modern instruments orchestra. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I'd say you owe those recordings another shot.

j winter

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 27, 2020, 05:40:46 AM
Really, that's too bad. I loved the Harnoncourt/RCO London Symphonies that I've heard. I would say they are at least partly HIP, not "just another big band version". For instance listen to Colin Davis with the same orchestra then listen to the Harnoncourt. The difference is striking. Harnoncourt is definitely applying HIP principles to a modern instruments orchestra. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I'd say you owe those recordings another shot.

For HIP-ish sets of the Londons I'm very happy with both Norrington (warmly recommended by Sarge) and Fey -- though neither of them are strictly HIP -- they both use a blended orchestra, some modern instruments, some period (particularly the brass).  Personally I think it sounds great...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

vers la flamme

Quote from: j winter on March 27, 2020, 06:12:15 AM
For HIP-ish sets of the Londons I'm very happy with both Norrington (warmly recommended by Sarge) and Fey -- though neither of them are strictly HIP -- they both use a blended orchestra, some modern instruments, some period (particularly the brass).  Personally I think it sounds great...

Odd that Hänssler would compete against themselves with two semi-HIP Haydn London Symphonies sets. But what do I know about the music business?  ;)

Anyway I have heard great things about the Fey. I'm not much a fan of Norrington I'm afraid, but I'm mostly only familiar with his London Classical Players recordings.

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 27, 2020, 05:40:46 AM

I have both sets (Davis and Harnoncourt). I commented on the Davis a few months ago. To me they miss some of the wit and humour of the music, and come out as too serious. Szell (93-98) proves that razor sharp wit is in the music's fabric, a dimension lost on Harnoncourt. I find him stern, commanding, meticulous - but witty? No.

BTW I take the term HIP to mean 'historically informed performance', not necessarily 'with period instruments only'. I think that there are a few mixed ensembles out there.

Jo498

I mostly find Szell more stern than witty as well. While I think Harnoncourt's Concentus recordings are overall better (and I also find e.g. most the Concertgebouw Mozart and the CoE Beethoven more interesting than his Haydn London symphonies), they are nevertheless quite distinctive. E.g. less string heavy balance, some odd tempi (a few slow finales, e.g. in 101, generally fast to very fast menuets and an uncommonly slow slow movement in #99).
As for Fey's, I used to be fascinated by his approach but I am now at least with one foot in the camp of those who find that some of his exaggerations don't really bear repeated listening. E.g the manic tempo contrasts between menuet and trio in #104. I have about half of his London set (93-97, 104) but I will probably get rid of a few of them. To my recollection, earlier/middle symphonies fare better with Fey (while the general approach remains the same, maybe it is mostly less competition)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Iota

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 24, 2020, 11:02:39 AM
.. re The Seasons: Jacobs & McCreesh are all you should need. The only other one I could even think to recommend, which is pretty darn good, is Harnoncourt:

I find that Jacobs recording a very lovely thing indeed. And by association am now very keen to track down the McCreesh.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 24, 2020, 12:36:48 PM
I won't be writing the essay on 'The Seasons' until later this year, but I have the research  materials gathered up

Will this be appearing on your blog?  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Iota on March 30, 2020, 11:59:45 AM
I find that Jacobs recording a very lovely thing indeed. And by association am now very keen to track down the McCreesh.

Will this be appearing on your blog?  :)

Yes, indeed. I have finally reached 1800. Perhaps not as major an accomplishment for me as it was for Haydn, but still. It took him 68 years, it only took me 7...  :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Iota

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 30, 2020, 01:35:02 PM
Yes, indeed.

Thanks, will keep an eye out for it.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 30, 2020, 01:35:02 PMI have finally reached 1800. Perhaps not as major an accomplishment for me as it was for Haydn, but still. It took him 68 years, it only took me 7...   :D

:D

Around here we just wait for 1700 and then know it's only an hour to go.  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Iota on March 31, 2020, 07:44:02 AM
Thanks, will keep an eye out for it.

Around here we just wait for 1700 and then know it's only an hour to go.  8)

Cheers,
8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vers la flamme

Happy birthday, Haydn. I will have to give some of his music a listen (if I find time between the Bach binge—the two masters share a birthday).

Gurn Blanston

288 years old today!

8)

Mandryka

A very jolly and elegant op 20/2 from Ebene -- of its kind, it's good. It's just that its kind may not be so good . . .

https://www.youtube.com/v/M_DrCbi9b78
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

You guys didn't mention this set, not much anyway. These guys are good, and benefit by the sound of the gut strings and their wonderful phrasing. That's OK, I found them anyway, although just last week!

Neither jolly nor elegant, it's what I like in a Haydn quartet. Well, it IS jolly where needed, and elegant likewise, just not for its own sake. Ibragimova is a really first rate fiddler!

8)

aukhawk

And with more to come  :)

Haydn Op76 1-3, Chiaroscuro Quartet

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: aukhawk on April 06, 2020, 01:58:55 AM
And with more to come  :)

Haydn Op76 1-3, Chiaroscuro Quartet

Yes, seeing that in Brian's post last week was what spurred me to check them out, where I discovered their HIPness. Looking forward to a new Op 76: I am still not 100% satisfied with what I have, although the Kuijken Quartet are on top. I talked with Catherine Manson last week and she told me the LHQ have completed their recording of Op 76, but immediately afterwards, the studio was shut down for the quarantine, so she doesn't know when it will be through post-production and release. So that is another on the way. Maybe by year's end??

8)

JBS

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 06, 2020, 07:50:20 AM
Yes, seeing that in Brian's post last week was what spurred me to check them out, where I discovered their HIPness. Looking forward to a new Op 76: I am still not 100% satisfied with what I have, although the Kuijken Quartet are on top. I talked with Catherine Manson last week and she told me the LHQ have completed their recording of Op 76, but immediately afterwards, the studio was shut down for the quarantine, so she doesn't know when it will be through post-production and release. So that is another on the way. Maybe by year's end??

8)

Call up Downing Street and explain to them that Haydn's music is an essential service.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on April 06, 2020, 08:29:15 AM
Call up Downing Street and explain to them that Haydn's music is an essential service.

:D  Man, it's Boris... :-\

8)