Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 71 dB on July 01, 2020, 01:22:42 PM
As much as I seem to like Op. 20 I'm not planning to get other performances. I hear absolutely nothing wrong with Kodály. I paid 8.39 euros total delivered for these discs and I enjoy them very much. This might be my best CD purchase of the year! It would be idiotic to doubt the enjoyment by "dreaming" about other releases of these works. Happiness is knowing when you are winning and know to stop reaching higher with a higher cost. If I spent say 30 euros for Op. 20 to have a better performance/recording, I would render these Naxos discs "worthless" (8.39 euros wasted) and I would have spent ~5 times more for a little better. Not cost-effective at all. I am winning now.

Yup.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jo498

Although #2 and #4 are my favorite pieces in op.20, I didn't really like the Quartetto Esterházy disc. It is "old time HIP" not for the faint of heart and overall too rough and pioneering for me.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SurprisedByBeauty

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on July 01, 2020, 11:58:37 PM
Although #2 and #4 are my favorite pieces in op.20, I didn't really like the Quartetto Esterházy disc. It is "old time HIP" not for the faint of heart and overall too rough and pioneering for me.

Gotta figure, it's on Seon produced by Wolf Erichson (RIP). Guess that's why it works for me: I'm old-time HIP too, but on top of that, I am a great fan of Schroeder, and he plays beautifully on this disk. Anyway, I'm not recommending it to anyone, not even 71dB who can't think in any other terms, I'm just saying it's MY favorite string quartet disk. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 02, 2020, 02:45:02 AM
Always on the lookout for good versions of these particular Haydn symphonies.

#morninglistening to #Haydn #symphonies 6-8 w/ #OrfeoOrchestra under #GyörgyVashegyi on #ACCENTrecords /
@Note_1

: http://a-fwd.to/4664xTp

Good... but not great?

Jens, is that the same orchestra that Michi Gaigg also conducts? Or a different Orfeo (Baroque?) Orchestra? If it is, they are very fine players indeed!  I have many versions of those works, wouldn't hurt my feelings to have another...  :D

8)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 02, 2020, 08:26:18 AM
Jens, is that the same orchestra that Michi Gaigg also conducts? Or a different Orfeo (Baroque?) Orchestra? If it is, they are very fine players indeed!  I have many versions of those works, wouldn't hurt my feelings to have another...  :D

8)

Different band! These are a Hungarian band.
Recorded at Esterhaza... to which I once biked on a lovely little bicycle vacation.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 02, 2020, 10:39:06 AM
Different band! These are a Hungarian band.
Recorded at Esterhaza... to which I once biked on a lovely little bicycle vacation.

Ah, I see. Well, that was not a totally inappropriate venue, and certainly one which I would love to be able to say I had biked to! :)

8)

aukhawk

I'm enjoying listening to some of the Op.20 Quartets played by the Doric Quartet.

Well - 'enjoying' - well yes I am because, after all, it is Haydn.  ;D

But these are not 'cosy' or 'salon' Haydn - these are Performances sounding to my ear as from a much later date.  Played largely without vibrato, but with great attack and verve and presence.
Anyway, I'll just mention that this set of all six of Op.20 is currently available at a rather good price from Presto - £8 for 96/24 downloads - great value - only for a couple more days.
I'm very happy to add these to my collection but they wouldn't be my top choice (Chiaroscuros).

JBS

Just listened to a piece completely unknown to me- Hob XXIVa:11 - Die Erwählung eines Kapellmeisters, in a performance conducted by Gennady Rozhdostvensky.

The booklet says it's probably not by Haydn. I'm just wondering if anything recent has come to light about its authorship. The music would probably fit rather well into a Mozart opera.

Here's a Youtube version, without the recitatives.

https://youtu.be/eHEXpn-8lwE

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

71 dB

I borrowed this disc from a friend:

[asin]B00005JJ40[/asin]

While this is an enjoyable disc, there was some kind of "lack of warmth" to it imo. I need to listen to it more...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vers la flamme

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 06:45:56 AM

[asin]B00005JJ40[/asin]

While this is an enjoyable disc, there was some kind of "lack of warmth" to it imo. I need to listen to it more...

I like that album artwork. Don't know anything about the music. Most of the Haydn symphonies I know are in the 80+ range.

71 dB

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 01, 2020, 07:52:28 PM
I like that album artwork. Don't know anything about the music. Most of the Haydn symphonies I know are in the 80+ range.

Cover Photo: Haydn's birthplace at Rahran by G. Gander. These Symphonies are from early 1770's and are to my liking.

Jo498

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 06:45:56 AM

[asin]B00005JJ40[/asin]

I compared #47 from this to Pinnock on Archiv. This Naxos disc appears to have "better" wider/fuller sound, but for my taste it's reverberation is too wet compared to the direct sound making the music a bit "tame." Pinnock uses faster tempi which together with less reverberant (more raw) sound makes it more energetic and exciting in comparison. Looks like the 6 CD Archiv box is what I want. The Naxos is not bad. It's just too "smooth" Haydn for my taste.

71 dB

Brian

Doric Quartet Op 33 is coming soon!

André

Quote from: Brian on August 15, 2020, 06:05:03 PM
Doric Quartet Op 33 is coming soon!

Heard 2 tracks from a Chandos sampler record. The scherzo from op 33 no 5 zips along much faster than what I normally hear. Also, no lurching luftpause before the last note of the theme. I wonder why. What does the score say?

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

^  I see tears welling in Gurn's eyes!   :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on September 19, 2020, 09:07:08 AM
^  I see tears welling in Gurn's eyes!   :P

"It was the best of times; it was the best of times...".  :D

8)