Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 19, 2009, 11:13:21 AM
They are string trios: "Divertimenti per il Pariton. Viola e Basso" were called by Haydn. They were composed for baryton, viola and cello, with three exceptions: trios numbers 89, 90 & 91, where the viola is replaced by the violin. :)

Really? Is that a  25cd set?   ???

Egad, who would know the baryton if it wasn't of Haydn ?  :o

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 03, 2009, 05:39:33 AM
OK I have obtained original instrument keyboard concerto set with these:

I will join AM and others singing the praises of Schornsheim's marvelous work here, I was a bit concerned with sneaking an organ in there for a few concertos........but worked out nicely and added to the variety. She has a lively yet naturally balanced style that is very enjoyable and almost futile exercise to critique.

I think I am all set now with Haydn keyboard concertos, now if only Schornsheim and Brautigam will get busy on a Mozart piano concerto set .......must feed the beast

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 19, 2009, 03:04:33 PM
Really? Is that a  25cd set?   ???

Egad, who would know the baryton if it wasn't of Haydn ?  :o

No, only 21... ::)  :D

It has all the trios, and also the duos, quintet, octets, sonatas (with cello), and a lot of fragmentary pieces for 2 barytons, for example. It is also available as part of the Big Box, although sans Disk 18. I listened to some of it this afternoon. The acoustic in the Esterhazy music room where it was recorded is very fine indeed. Probably the first time those tones were heard there in 230 years!

8)

----------------
Listening to:
The Music Party / Alan Hacker - Hob 02 26 Notturno in F for Wind & Strings 3rd mvmt - Adagio
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 19, 2009, 03:04:39 PM
She has a lively yet naturally balanced style that is very enjoyable and almost futile exercise to critique.

Excellent news, DA. And I agree with you, she is totally at home in these Haydn concertos.  :)   

SonicMan46

Guys - glad that you agree!  :D  The Schornsheim recording is in the mail to me as I type from MDT! :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2009, 03:12:43 PM
Probably the first time those tones were heard there in 230 years!

A subtle observation indeed. It recalled to me a Borges' anecdote: He once recited the Lord's Prayer in Old English, in a crumbling Saxon chapel near Dr. Johnson's Lichfield, "to give God a little surprise".  :) 

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2009, 03:12:43 PM
No, only 21... ::)  :D

It has all the trios, and also the duos, quintet, octets, sonatas (with cello), and a lot of fragmentary pieces for 2 barytons, for example. It is also available as part of the Big Box, although sans Disk 18. I listened to some of it this afternoon. The acoustic in the Esterhazy music room where it was recorded is very fine indeed. Probably the first time those tones were heard there in 230 years!

8)
----------------
Listening to:
The Music Party / Alan Hacker - Hob 02 26 Notturno in F for Wind & Strings 3rd mvmt - Adagio

Would that there was a 'digest' of sorts, a "Baryton Festival of Hits" - like 4-6 discs max... ::)

Can one really learn and appreciate 20 hours+ of baryton music? :-X

And what does Alan Hacker do with the Nocturnes, Gurn? :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 19, 2009, 05:19:24 PM

Would that there was a 'digest' of sorts, a "Baryton Festival of Hits" - like 4-6 discs max... ::)

Can one really learn and appreciate 20 hours+ of baryton music? :-X

And what does Alan Hacker do with the Nocturnes, Gurn? :D

:D
Yes, well I wouldn't want a steady diet of baryton trios, no matter that they are very good quality music and well played too. Once they have had a good listening to, a 'digest' might be just the thing.

This is my first run through the Hacker, and only on #27 (starts at 25), but I really do like what I've heard so far. However they have managed it, they make the flutes/oboes sound a lot more like lira than L'Archibudelli do. Odd thing that... :-\

8)

----------------
Listening to:
The Music Party / Alan Hacker - Hob 02 27 Notturno in C for Wind & Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on December 19, 2009, 03:40:01 PM
Guys - glad that you agree!  :D  The Schornsheim recording is in the mail to me as I type from MDT! :)

I think also that you will enjoy it, Dave. :)

Was it really cheaper to go to Britain for it? I got it at cduniverse for $12... :-\

8)

----------------
Listening to:
The Music Party / Alan Hacker - Hob 02 27 Notturno in C for Wind & Strings 3rd mvmt - Finale: Molto vivace

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2009, 05:34:19 PM
I think also that you will enjoy it, Dave. :)

Was it really cheaper to go to Britain for it? I got it at cduniverse for $12... :-\

Hi Gurn - no, a little more expensive for the Schornsheim from 'across the pond', but that order included a number of offerings, including the complete Brautigam Haydn Piano Sonata box, so 'in toto' just not that much difference; and the S&H is pretty cheap once a larger package is put together, so not sure that I could have done much better in the USA.

Dave  :)

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2009, 05:27:44 PM

This is my first run through the Hacker [Nocturnes], and only on #27 (starts at 25), but I really do like what I've heard so far. However they have managed it, they make the flutes/oboes sound a lot more like lira than L'Archibudelli do. Odd thing that...
----------------
Listening to:
The Music Party / Alan Hacker - Hob 02 27 Notturno in C for Wind & Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

Why? They're also playing on period intruments, and nobody really knows what the lira organizzata really sounded like. What I do recall is how utterly - totally, immensely - convincing this PI group brought Haydn's music to life. It just - bloomed, flowered. You know, when your buns decontract and you slouch an inch or two into the armchair, sporting a Goofy-like grin... :D

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on December 19, 2009, 06:13:43 PM
a little more expensive for the Schornsheim from 'across the pond', but that order included a number of offerings, including the complete Brautigam Haydn Piano Sonata box, so 'in toto' just not that much difference; and the S&H is pretty cheap once a larger package is put together, so not sure that I could have done much better in the USA.

Thats the spirit.............to be totally HIP you must have the Brautigam Haydn/Mozart sonata sets  ;)

Good thing you didn't buy any of those expensive individual releases from BIS, I am patiently waiting for Brautigam to finish his Beethoven sonata set so BIS can issue a budget complete boxset

SonicMan46

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 20, 2009, 04:59:38 AM
Thats the spirit.............to be totally HIP you must have the Brautigam Haydn/Mozart sonata sets  ;)

Good thing you didn't buy any of those expensive individual releases from BIS, I am patiently waiting for Brautigam to finish his Beethoven sonata set so BIS can issue a budget complete boxset

DA - yes, would love to see the Beethoven set offered as a box!  My two 'complete' LvB PS sets are both w/ modern instruments - I've not done much reading on Brautigam's recording of these Beethoven works, esp. regarding whether he'll be using different fortepianos along the way? 

The reason I raise this issue relates to my recent acquisition of Beethoven's complete cello works on the Dorian label (left posts yesterday in the listening & old musical instrument threads) - the keyboardist, Lambert Orkis decided to use three different fortepianos for the period recordings explaining that they seem to fit the compositions better relative to their dates of origin?

But once the Brautigam Haydn arrives, will be added to my Mozart box w/ him!  Dave  :D

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on December 20, 2009, 06:03:17 AM
DA - yes, would love to see the Beethoven set offered as a box!  My two 'complete' LvB PS sets are both w/ modern instruments - I've not done much reading on Brautigam's recording of these Beethoven works, esp. regarding whether he'll be using different fortepianos along the way?

Brautigam is indeed moving up the keyboard ladder using more improved keyboards as he gets later in the Beethoven sonata series, according to Brautigam's website the completed BIS Beethoven set will total 17 Cds so we are only on volume 7 now...................long wait  ::)

snyprrr

These two LHQ albums are quickly becoming some of my favorite listening. Once again, I feel for David Hurwitz that he must get so burnt out on music that he would hate what's going on here, mm mm. The prestos in particular, are pretty astonishing in their address.

I thought I was getting a Handel on Op.17 until I started listening to Op.9. It's going to take a while to sort it all out, but the A Major (No.6) popped out as just a blazer.

Both of these sets, as played here, have such a broad brush, with such an Old Instrument sound that you start thinking that this is High High Baroque (which, I guess, you could call it? Post Modern Baroque?)

Anyhow, all thumbs are up right now :o! This is THE BEST STUFF EVER (yes, better than Snapple)! I just have nothing to say about this topic anymore.

On to Op.20!

snyprrr

In my fevered zeal to finish Haydn off by year's end I have mapped out the final territory to be conquered: Op.20, the first set I listened to back in March when I started this journey. That set was the Mosaiques, from the library, and, apart from the first mvmt. of No.5, I had no real quibbles, except for, perhaps, Herman's concerns with the QM in general (it's back there).

I had determined to do Op.20 HIP since the set still had that old style flavor (the famous slow mvmt. of No.2). In Op.33, I really love the Lindsays' nimble, light, playful, modern way, but in Op.20 I want a more "noble" or,... I think you know what I mean. I'm not satisfied with the Lindsays that I have now (2/5/6), though, they nail so much here (there are moments of that famous Cropper intonation that make you look, and, also, their style is a bit intimate and conversational for the Grand Op.20).

As a aside, I wanted to leave out the Hagen and Pellegrini right now until either the Auryn or  London Haydn come out with an Op.20. That! should be something.

So, that leaves Mosaiques, Festetics, Buchberger, and Salomon, with the Esterhazy chiming in with Nos. 2 & 4, and the New Amsterdam (Channel Classics) with No.3. Since I'm looking for an alternative to the Mosaiques' No.5, they're out.

The Festetics' Op.20 is the only set of theirs that I can't find in the cheepcheep re-issues on Amazon. They are $84. They're out (unless you wanna rip me one!). I had originally reserved Op.20 for the Festetics (since EVERYONE ;D around here is... nevermind :-*), honest! I was.

I know the Buchberger could never be my go-tos here. I just know it. Maybe later.

I bought the Esterhazy.

That leaves the Salomon. I have their English Orpheus album, which is great, but others don't like them much. Still, I know of no one who has one of their Haydn recordings (anyone?). If they apply what I've heard to Haydn, there shouldn't be any problems, however, both of their cds are in the $20-25 range on Amazon (for used; new is $40-50). I was heartbroken. Not because they were sooo expensive, but because I knew that if I was desperate enough, I would buy them (but, consider that the Hagen set is $40 on Amazon).

So, what did I do? I got the Esterhazy (2 SQs on one cd???,...yea, and I paid extra for the original cover, haha), but then I could bring myself to plunk down for the Salomon, so I...

so I got the Dekany on Vox. I believe they did the Complete SQs on LP, but Op.20 was the only set transferred to cd. There's a blog somewhere where there's an exchange about the Dekany vs. Tatrai, with the two posters having the opposite view (that one has humanity whilst the other is a stern schoolmaster). Considering price, and rarity, and seeking dark horse triumph, I got the Dekany. We'll see.

Then I got the Ulbrich on ETERNA/Berlin Classics, doing 4-6 (I've seen their whole set on LP). I guess this is some lost German group from the '70s, a la Suske, that had an Op.20 out there. Since I'm looking for a No.5, and lacking suitable HIPness, I bit. I have great expecations for this one (unless expectations breed resentments, haha).

I'm going to at least get the Mosaiques back from the library (their 2/3/4 single disc is $30, whilst their 1-6 is less than $20), and, I'm sure I might very well get them back in the family, but I really had my heart set on another HIP to compare with the library copy.

If anyone wants to part with their Salomon, I'm all ears. Otherwise, within a month or two, I'm sure I won't be able to resist (join us,...join us,...). If anyone want to part with a Festetics, I'm all ears.

When will this be over? :'( :'( :'(

Leo K.

I have half of the Salomon Op.20...it is wonderful and I slightly prefer over the MQ (which I do love through and through)...

The other disk of the Salomon Op.20 I need has proven to be quite expensive though  :'(

snyprrr

Quote from: Leo K on December 22, 2009, 09:48:18 AM
I have half of the Salomon Op.20...it is wonderful and I slightly prefer over the MQ (which I do love through and through)...

The other disk of the Salomon Op.20 I need has proven to be quite expensive though  :'(

I'll raise you  :'( :'( :'( and a  :o!

snyprrr

And you used the word "need", haha! :-*

Leo K.