Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Bogey on November 22, 2011, 08:26:25 AM
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm goin' to, Esterházy fields

LOL love your signature Bogey  8)

Leo K.

I tried buying the Hakkenin recording on Classics Online but my download never showed up, and costumer service is so slow  :'( yikes I hope they respond some time, 10 bucks is worth two Happy Meals!

Anyways, at least I have Brautigan's account to tide me over until I can hear the clavichord version :)

Leon

Quote from: Leo K on November 22, 2011, 02:03:56 PM
I tried buying the Hakkenin recording on Classics Online but my download never showed up, and costumer service is so slow  :'( yikes I hope they respond some time, 10 bucks is worth two Happy Meals!

Anyways, at least I have Brautigan's account to tide me over until I can hear the clavichord version :)

I started to listen to it on Naxos Music Library but did not find it very good.  Too much music for that instrument, imo.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on November 22, 2011, 04:11:35 PM
I started to listen to it on Naxos Music Library but did not find it very good.  Too much music for that instrument, imo.

Not having heard it yet, I can't comment, but I will say that this is what I fear. Reviewers say otherwise, but as I said to Antoine, that earthquake should be a real handful on the clavier!! :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Purchases Today (transplanted  :D )

Just received these 2 in today's post. Listening to the symphonies now;

I had seen reviews of these here and there, enough to pique my curiosity. The Arion Baroque, led here by harpsichordist Gary Cooper, are indeed a 'real size' ensemble, in this case employing 17 musicians, which is very likely to be the precise number in the Esterhazy band at the time these works were composed (1768-71). Despite Mr. Hogwood's protestations, Cooper plays a harpsichord continuo. The justification for using a 3rd viola comes from Haydn's famous written instructions for the performance of the cantata "Applausus" from 1767, in which he urges the use of an extra viola to support the inner (instrumental) voices which frequently need it more than the upper and lower ones. In addition, since trumpets and timpani were only added on at the time of publication and didn't exist in the original autograph score of #41, they aren't used here in it either. The result is rather stunning actually. Whereas in every version (many!) that I've heard, one must struggle to pick out the amazing C maj Alto horns from the trumpets, here they stand out in a stark beauty that must be heard to be appreciated. I must admit, I am absolutely delighted so far (though still only in #44, another winner!). This is very HIP, unless you already really like PI and all it can do, you may be brought up short when you first hear it, esp. #41. :)

The baryton trio disk (well, I needed another one :D ) promises, by all I've read, to also be a winner. The barytonist, Balestracci, is reputed to be an actual virtuoso on the instrument. How rare is that?  We'll see shortly. The liner notes were highly interesting with a brief discussion of actually playing the instrument. I can't remember any baryton disk that went that direction before. Hope it lives up to my expectations, I'll let you know tomorrow. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
  Arion Baroque Orchestra \ Gary Cooper - Hob 01_044 Symphony in e 3rd mvmt - Adagio

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 22, 2011, 04:17:11 PM
Not having heard it yet, I can't comment, but I will say that this is what I fear. Reviewers say otherwise, but as I said to Antoine, that earthquake should be a real handful on the clavier!! :)

8)

I heard samples of it, and it sounds great, but I'll need to hear the complete recording to comment too  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on November 22, 2011, 05:55:04 PM
I heard samples of it, and it sounds great, but I'll need to hear the complete recording to comment too  8)

I can visualize the poor lad crippling up in the terremoto section. :D  Well, soon enough I'll/we'll know.

8)

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 22, 2011, 05:53:28 PM

I have them on this, which I like a lot:

[asin]B0007XSVR4[/asin]

I would like to have them playing some Haydn.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on November 22, 2011, 06:04:46 PM
I have them on this, which I like a lot:

[asin]B0007XSVR4[/asin]

I would like to have them playing some Haydn.

Strongly recommended, Arnold. I am now listening to the beautiful extended Adagio opening movement of #49 in f and it is truly special.   0:)

[asin]B001OBT3LG[/asin]

8)

----------------
Now playing:
   Arion Baroque Orchestra \ Gary Cooper - Hob 01_049 Symphony in f 1st mvmt - Adagio

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 22, 2011, 04:17:11 PM

8)

I usually enjoy the clavier, pianoforte, and especially the harpsichord when they are the seasoning in the stew.  When they become the meat I am usually not pleased. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 23, 2011, 04:43:07 AM
I usually enjoy the clavier, pianoforte, and especially the harpsichord when they are the seasoning in the stew.  When they become the meat I am usually not pleased.

It's an acquired taste for most people, I think. I was fortunate enough to be born with it though thousands aren't. Still there are limitations on everything. We can only wait and see, in my case since I don't stream online music. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Just landed from Amazon.it (although the package is marked Amazon.uk):

Original releases in jewel cases.  :)

Now playing Vol. 1, CD2: String Quartet in E flat major Op. 1 No. "0" Hob. II:6.  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on November 23, 2011, 04:43:07 AM

My taste exactly.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 05:26:38 AM
I was fortunate enough to be born with it though thousands aren't.

Sadly, I am one who was born without the harpsichord gene. A pity that.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 23, 2011, 05:50:08 AM
My taste exactly.

Sadly, I am one who was born without the harpsichord gene. A pity that.

Sarge

When I was an early teenager, which is to say, back in the mid-1960's, my aunt and uncle purchased an actual, real harpsichord. Looking back now, I see how rare that must have been, but at the time I just thought it was absolutely cool! I piddled with keyboards somewhat back then (we had an electronic, 2 manual organ at home) and I was totally enraptured by the sounds that came out of that thing. Possibly this is where my enjoyment arose. Anyway, I can fairly say that I have always liked the harpsichord. :)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 23, 2011, 05:38:12 AM

Now playing Vol. 1, CD2: String Quartet in E flat major Op. 1 No. "0" Hob. II:6.  :)

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on November 23, 2011, 05:11:56 AM
Interesting cover there, Sarge.  Report on the Haydn thread when you have a review so I do not miss it.

Taken from the listening thread:

Excellent performance of the Haydn as one would expect from Brüggen (hard to imagine a more powerful earthquake)--but, unfortunately, marred by the inclusion of short, dissonant intermezzi between movements composed by Ron Ford; music inexplicably commissioned by Brüggen to fill in for spoken words. It's about as far from HIP as can be imagined. The intermezzi are not tracked separately and can't be avoided. I'm deeply puzzled by this messing about with the work. Brüggen's reasoning makes no sense. The booklet quotes him as saying, "The intermezzi are meant to be a worthy musical substitute for no music."  Huh?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Opus106

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 05:55:27 AM
When I was an early teenager, which is to say, back in the mid-1960's, my aunt and uncle purchased an actual, real harpsichord. Looking back now, I see how rare that must have been, but at the time I just thought it was absolutely cool! I piddled with keyboards somewhat back then (we had an electronic, 2 manual organ at home) and I was totally enraptured by the sounds that came out of that thing. Possibly this is where my enjoyment arose. Anyway, I can fairly say that I have always liked the harpsichord. :)

8)

We form that rare strain which is resistant to Beechamisms. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 23, 2011, 05:38:12 AM

Interested in a summary report, Antoine. The good, the bad and the ugly!  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on November 23, 2011, 06:12:10 AM
We form that rare strain which is resistant to Beechamisms. ;D

Although we can safely laugh at him. :D  Tin roofs be damned!

8)