Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Stop! Stop! My credit card is beginning to curl at the edges with the heat!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Elgarian on November 25, 2011, 08:34:41 AM
Stop! Stop! My credit card is beginning to curl at the edges with the heat!

Blame Bogey, not me. I am merely his meat-puppet. :)  But it's true though, there are a lot of great versions out there. Even having most of them didn't make it any easier when I was choosing The One to put in my list. Sometimes choices simply can't be made.  :(

8)

----------------
Now playing:
  Bart van Oort - Hob 09_03 12 Menuets for Keyboard #01 in D & a (w/Trio)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

There is an angel to weep at the elbow of every operator who is standing by . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on November 25, 2011, 08:55:01 AM
There is an angel to weep at the elbow of every operator who is standing by . . . .

That's funny, I don't care who you are!    0:)  ;D  0:)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
  Cappella Coloniensis; A. Spering; VokalEnsemble Köln - Hob 24a_04 Cantata in A "Qual dubbio ormai" pt 2 - Aria "se ogni giorno"

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: The new erato on November 25, 2011, 07:38:58 AM
Each time I see this thread I always misread it as Harry's House and expect to see something like this:

Based on the angle of the house, it is easy to guess which side of his home Harry stores his cds on. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Here is a crazy stab at making an index page while it is early times yet. Whoever has a brilliant idea on how to make it follow us, short of going back and bumping it regularly, needs to jump in and say so. I will point out to you that is there are other items you want to bookmark on this page (from this thread) go ahead and quote this post. I can go back and edit out the quotes later on and it will resume its appearance as a regular post that can be quoted still.

Part 13 - 1764
  Part 12 - 1763
  Part 11 - 1762
  Part 10 - 1761
  Part   9 - 1760
  Part   8 - 1759
  Part   7 - 1758
  Part   6 - 1757
  Part   5 - 1756
  Part   4 - 1754-55
  Part   3 - 1753
  Part   2 - 1751 - 52 Well, there IS nothing from those years, sorry. :D
  Part   1 - 1749-50

Discussion of sonates da chiesa

Discussion of divertimentos

Let's try this then. Everyone needs to help me keep it up!

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 25, 2011, 12:12:34 PM
Here is a crazy stab at making an index page while it is early times yet. Whoever has a brilliant idea on how to make it follow us, short of going back and bumping it regularly, needs to jump in and say so. I will point out to you that is there are other items you want to bookmark on this page (from this thread) go ahead and quote this post. I can go back and edit out the quotes later on and it will resume its appearance as a regular post that can be quoted still.

Part 13 - 1764
  Part 12 - 1763
  Part 11 - 1762
  Part 10 - 1761
  Part   9 - 1760
  Part   8 - 1759
  Part   7 - 1758
  Part   6 - 1757
  Part   5 - 1756
  Part   4 - 1754-55
  Part   3 - 1753
  Part   2 - 1751 - 52 Well, there IS nothing from those years, sorry. :D
  Part   1 - 1749-50

Discussion of sonates da chiesa

Discussion of divertimentos

Let's try this then. Everyone needs to help me keep it up!

8)

You could put it in your signature or something like that. Then it will always be easy to find. Is that what you meant by 'follow us'?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 25, 2011, 12:18:39 PM
You could put it in your signature or something like that. Then it will always be easy to find. Is that what you meant by 'follow us'?

Yeah, like that. I'm not sure how many characters fit in a sig, I have been stopped from that before by too many. Those links, when they re in text form are very long. They appear short after posting, but the code is many time longer. However, that's precisely the idea I have in mind, just that this one won't work. Something will though. Thanks for having a shot at it. :)

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 25, 2011, 12:54:37 PM
Yeah, like that. I'm not sure how many characters fit in a sig, I have been stopped from that before by too many. Those links, when they re in text form are very long. They appear short after posting, but the code is many time longer. However, that's precisely the idea I have in mind, just that this one won't work. Something will though. Thanks for having a shot at it. :)

8)
You started the thread - maybe edit the first post so at least it is in one spot? You could also start another thread that is like the index. Then you could link that thread in the signature. Not ideal though it would work.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 25, 2011, 01:01:56 PM
You started the thread - maybe edit the first post so at least it is in one spot? You could also start another thread that is like the index. Then you could link that thread in the signature. Not ideal though it would work.

Oh, I like that 2nd one. That will take some thought to see how to make it stay put without pinning it. I don't want to piss off the Brianists... :D

8)

Bogey

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 25, 2011, 01:01:56 PM

Ah....that sounds like a winner as well.  Just a seperate Haydn thread with your chapters.  The chapters will remain here, but read like a book in a seperate thread.  Either way, thanks for the effort here! :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 25, 2011, 08:00:52 AM
I recalled these excellent just-one-Haydn:

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 25, 2011, 08:05:05 AM
Tell me more about the Rincontro disk, Antoine. I have been looking at that for a while. :)

When I said "excellent", I was really thinking about the other two discs. These transcriptions are well played, but little else.

Gurn Blanston

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 25, 2011, 01:09:02 PM
When I said "excellent", I was really thinking about the other two discs. These transcriptions are well played, but little else.

Ah, so they are like transposed string trio versions of the baryton trios, is it so?

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 25, 2011, 01:06:37 PM
Ah....that sounds like a winner as well.  Just a seperate Haydn thread with your chapters.  The chapters will remain here, but read like a book in a seperate thread.  Either way, thanks for the effort here! :)

Bogey and Neal,
Please look in my sidebar and see if you could get there easily enough. Works for me, but I know what I did... :D

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 25, 2011, 01:13:40 PM
Ah, so they are like transposed string trio versions of the baryton trios, is it so?

Yes, that's right.

BTW, that index is a fabulous work. Thank you very much!!!

chasmaniac

Hooray! The globey thingy works!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 25, 2011, 01:17:16 PM
Yes, that's right.

BTW, that index is a fabulous work. Thank you very much!!!

Ah, thanks on both counts. :) 

I read somewhere, a few years back now so I don't remember the source, that all of the known baryton trios from the early 19trh century on were only known in this way. So people believed that Haydn had composed well over 100 string trios. They were arranged for Violin, Viola & Cello, just like a 'modern' string trio. :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 25, 2011, 01:21:27 PM
Hooray! The globey thingy works!

Well, as long as people think to look there for the link, I think that will be cool! Thanks to Neal for starting me off that way. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
  Academy of Ancient Music; Hogwood - Hob 01_060 Symphony in C 3rd mvmt - Menuetto - Trio

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 25, 2011, 01:25:23 PM

Well, as long as people think to look there for the link, I think that will be cool! Thanks to Neal for starting me off that way. :)
Glad to help! :) (globey thingy worked for me too)