Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 27, 2011, 07:26:54 AM
It's crazy because I bought this set two years ago at a local store... here in Chile!

IIRC, I paid $40 aprox., so I guess it wasn't a bargain.

Apparently in the opera world, paying $40 for a 2 disk set is routine. I only thought I had seen expensive CD's before I started looking at opera!   ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

(* chortle *)

Separately . . . I saw the Haydn opera box at Newbury Comics.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 27, 2011, 07:42:32 AM
(* chortle *)

Separately . . . I saw the Haydn opera box at Newbury Comics.

That's where I bought my 2 boxes (I have the 2 orange ones). At that time, and not infrequently, they had the best prices plus I know they are a fast shipper. I buy a lot from them online. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 27, 2011, 07:30:11 AM
Apparently in the opera world, paying $40 for a 2 disk set is routine. I only thought I had seen expensive CD's before I started looking at opera!   ::)

8)

Yes, that's true. As I have commented before, I don't almost have experience in opera, just excepting some Baroque operas (a quite different animal, indeed) and particularly the operas of the Vivaldi Edition on Naïve.

Btw, I discovered some time ago another Haydn opera played on period instruments (Hungaroton), but I haven't seen any copy available:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 27, 2011, 07:49:43 AM
Yes, that's true. As I have commented before, I don't almost have experience in opera, just excepting some Baroque operas (a quite different animal, indeed) and particularly the operas of the Vivaldi Edition on Naïve.

Btw, I discovered some time another Haydn opera played on period instruments (Hungaroton), but I haven't seen any copy available:

That looks very interesting. I would like to have it, although this one here;

is the world premiere and a nice disk too. Nicer still because I own it.... :D  One could actually, if one was a hunter of course, compile an entire set of operas without using Dorati at all. Except for Le Pescatrici, but then, Dorati doesn't do that one either. The Lithuanian Opera disk I showed is the only ever recording of it. I have suggested to Herr Huss that he make that his next project, but I don't know how he took that. It would be very cool!

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Vienna Haydn Sinfonietta \ Huss - Hob 10_12 Divertimento Octet #7 in G for Baryton, Winds & Strings 1st mvmt - Moderato

SonicMan46

Quote from: Arnold on December 26, 2011, 04:01:14 PM
Dave, for anyone who is interested in period instruments and especially one who is a fan of Haydn, The Virtual Haydn box cannot help but be an worthwhile addition to your collection.  I don't often make recommendations but feel so strongly about this set that I can easily recommend it with no reservations.  And you cannot beat the price.

Arnold - thanks for the re-confirmation - set is ordered from Arkiv Music and is on its way!  Dave :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 27, 2011, 07:57:22 AM
That looks very interesting. I would like to have it, although this one here;

is the world premiere and a nice disk too. Nicer still because I own it.... :D  One could actually, if one was a hunter of course, compile an entire set of operas without using Dorati at all. Except for Le Pescatrici, but then, Dorati doesn't do that one either. The Lithuanian Opera disk I showed is the only ever recording of it. I have suggested to Herr Huss that he make that his next project, but I don't know how he took that. It would be very cool!

It's curious. This intermezzo in musica is always presented as La Canterina, but your disc is titled La Cantarina.

Right now, I found these copies of the Hungaroton disc:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000030BM/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1325005040&sr=8-4&condition=used

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 27, 2011, 08:07:33 AM
It's curious. This intermezzo in musica is always presented as La Canterina, but your disc is titled La Cantarina.

Right now, I found these copies of the Hungaroton disc:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000030BM/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1325005040&sr=8-4&condition=used

:)

Hmm, they aren't giving it away, are they? Well, no surprise. Maybe we need to move to Hungary. :D

Yes, when I posted that disk originally, I noted that phenomenon. I couldn't know which was correct, my book or my disk. If I was spelling it just from instinct, I would use the 'a', although I am not a native Italian speaker... :-\

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 27, 2011, 08:02:59 AM
Arnold - thanks for the re-confirmation - set is ordered from Arkiv Music and is on its way!  Dave :)

Me too!

Begin the Beghin!

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 27, 2011, 07:46:37 AM
That's where I bought my 2 boxes (I have the 2 orange ones). At that time, and not infrequently, they had the best prices plus I know they are a fast shipper. I buy a lot from them online. :)

8)

Gosh . . . there's more than one opera box? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on December 27, 2011, 09:38:44 AM
Gosh . . . there's more than one opera box? . . .

The same box in an earlier incarnation as 2 volumes.

Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Ah, so the one on top is complete?

'at's the one I saw at Newbury Comics . . . wonder if it's still there? . . .

Thanks, Nav!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on December 27, 2011, 09:48:51 AM
Ah, so the one on top is complete?

'at's the one I saw at Newbury Comics . . . wonder if it's still there? . . .

Thanks, Nav!

You're welcome, Karl. I shall leave the question of 'completeness' (a tricky thing that) to Gurn; but the contents of the two earlier volumes are available in the single Decca box, if that is all what you meant by "complete".
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

In my innocence, Nav, that was all I meant : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

So, "eight mature operas" is what I read. I suppose I need only wait for Gurn's further instalments! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 27, 2011, 07:30:11 AM

8)
Opera is sometimes more expensive, but $20 per cd is nuts. Even Opera Rara can be found on sale for $12-14 per cd (where at least you get a gorgeous and big booklet). And many well known sets are now being issued for much less.  But they can be very expensive if you pay full retail price. Don't do that! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

TheGSMoeller

I've enjoyed listening to Harnoncourt, Goodman, Koopman, Huss, Pinnock, Kuijken, Orpheus C.O. and more perform the symphonies of Haydn.
But nothing prepared me for my discovery this evening...Thomas Fey.  :o  ;D

Thrilling is a word that easily comes to mind.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 26, 2011, 07:03:47 AM
Sarge,
Here is the bit of liner note from Hogwood concerning that topic. My take on it is that the version to which you are referring, the so-called original, never actually was a finished product.

It existed as incidental music and an overture. Why H.C. Robbins Landon thought that constituted an original version of the symphony is unclear. It's Landon's reconstruction that is conducted by Leslie Jones and Bostock:

(Bostock includes the alternate minuet and finale also).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 27, 2011, 06:40:29 PM
I've enjoyed listening to Harnoncourt, Goodman, Koopman, Huss, Pinnock, Kuijken, Orpheus C.O. and more perform the symphonies of Haydn.
But nothing prepared me for my discovery this evening...Thomas Fey.  :o  ;D

Thrilling is a word that easily comes to mind.

[asin]B0009IOR98[/asin]
[asin]B00140L7DY[/asin]

No.39 and No.70 from these Fey recordings are the two that I first listened to.
I was just going through my Goodman/Hanover Band discs, I've always appreciated the clean and detailed balanced from the Hanover Band, every line and instrument is equal, the continuo is a little too apparent at times, but I find Goodman to create more passion with Haydn's symphonies than Pinnock's recordings.
But I hear a lot of everything in these Fey performances so far, especially detail and passion, but as I mentioned before, the Fey performances are thrilling.
Still need to do some research, but I feel as if Fey is not directing from a keyboard (as Goodman and Pinnock are), so maybe this allows for more of an interpretation from Fey. Anyway, I am diving head first into these recordings!!

chasmaniac

I know his Paris set. It's fabulous, easily my favourite.

[asin]B0040Y7F1E[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217