Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mszczuj on January 01, 2012, 01:35:40 AM
So:

Do you (or does anyboy) want me to make scans of libretto of Orlando Paladino and Armida? Or may be the notes would be sufficient?

Don't hesitate if you want.

Like all of us here, I am grateful for your efforts to date. Filled a big gap in my materials. Like Sarge, I have Orlando. However, I don't have Armida (I still use Dorati), so if you are up for it, thanks!

And a moment to wish all the Haydnistos a Happy New Year, filled with Peace, Prosperity & Great Music!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on December 31, 2011, 07:46:11 AM

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 31, 2011, 06:22:18 AM

. . . In any case, Beghin tends towards that very authentic playing style, and I think if your ears aren't ready for it, the lack of legato sounds a bit odd.

For myself, I think I'll be happy with 'a bit odd', Gurn. I bought the set primarily because I was intrigued by the nature of the virtual project, but also because it would give me a PI alternative to Schornsheim that really was significantly different, and not just 'another recommended set'. The bargain Europadisc price clinched it.

And as for me, I am already such a harpsichord music fanboy, non-legato style is already part of my steady diet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Elgarian

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on January 01, 2012, 04:51:33 AM
And a moment to wish all the Haydnistos a Happy New Year, filled with Peace, Prosperity & Great Music!
And likewise to your goodself, Gurn, and everyone else. The Great Music aspect seems fairly well assured if past trends continue; not so certain about the Prosperity though!

Karl Henning

God bless us, every one!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mszczuj

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on January 01, 2012, 04:51:33 AM
However, I don't have Armida

So, here is Armida libretto and notes from the booklet of the EOC series:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/eFAI3_zU/armida.html

And english notes only from Orlando Paladino

http://www.4shared.com/zip/dAzgW6IC/orlanpal.html

Leon

I have, bit by bit, been acquiring the Festetics Quartet traversal of the string quartets and so far have made my way up through Op. 50 - and have enjoyed them very much.   :)   

I also recently added this disc to my keyboard holdings:

[asin]B001VLGMGI[/asin]

This is my first recording of Badura-Skoda and I now understand why so many Haydnistas speak highly of his recordings.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on January 03, 2012, 10:42:03 AM
I have, bit by bit, been acquiring the Festetics Quartet traversal of the string quartets and so far have made my way up through Op. 50 - and have enjoyed them very much.   :)   

I also recently added this disc to my keyboard holdings:

This is my first recording of Bakura-Skoda and I now understand why so many Haydnistas speak highly of his recordings.

Hah! I knew you would like that one! Truly, he is in a class of his own when it comes to interpreting Classical solo piano music. His Mozart is equally satisfying. A couple of pages back (or maybe more by now) Antoine featured the covers of the disks he did with a more comprehensive traversal, for Astrée, IIRC. I would love to be able to find those for sale sometime. Meanwhile, I will enjoy this one. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

jlaurson

New Haydn release from Giuliano Carmignola & Orchestre des Champs-Elysées:

"Haydn: Violin Concertos" on Archiv Produktion

Opus106

We want images!

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 16, 2011, 06:08:12 PM
I imagine I will be not the only Haydnisto interested in this new release:

[asin]B0062Z22DK[/asin]

It includes all the three violin concertos (Nos. 1, 3 & 4).
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

What am I missing here?—

Quoteall the three violin concertos (Nos. 1, 3 & 4)

; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on January 04, 2012, 08:49:12 AM
What am I missing here?—

; )

It's not you, it's the concerto that is missing. The second one was lost.
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Sorry for the brief hiatus; indisposition seems the order of the day in recent times. :-\

Part 32

Haydn, however, took no breaks at all. Certainly not during the reign of the opera at Esterháza! This is a year of continued flowering of the career. Offers from publishers and other commissions were flowing in. And of course, music was flowing out into the world in return.

Some highlights that we will enjoy this year are the second cello concerto, a set of 3 sonatas for fortepiano, a second set of 12 German Lieder with Klavier, and his very last opera composed for Esterháza, the opera seria 'Armida'. No one knows why Haydn stopped writing operas after this. It was a big hit, with lots of repeat performances and great acclaim. He had been cultivating the form since basically 1766, and was very proud of his results so far. Nonetheless, only one more opera would issue from his pen after this one, and that was in and for England.

The music of 1783;

Hob 01a_14 Armida: Sinfonia in Bb
   Manfred Huss / Haydn Sinfonietta Wien

Hob 07b_2 Concerto in D for Cello
   La Petite Bande / Kuijken  Suzuki
   Tafelmusik / Lamon Bylsma

Hob 16_40 Sonata #54 in G for Fortepiano
   Malcolm Bilson
Hob 16_41 Sonata #55 in Bb for Fortepiano
   Bart van Oort
Hob 16_42 Sonata #56 in D for Viennese Square Fortepiano
   Tom Beghin

Hob 26a_13 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Jeder meint, der Gegenstand'
Hob 26a_14 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Lachet nicht, Mädchen'   
Hob 26a_15 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'O liebes Mädchen, höre mich'
Hob 26a_16 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Gegenliebe'
Hob 26a_17 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Geistliches Lied'
Hob 26a_18 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Auch die sprödeste der Schönen'
Hob 26a_19 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'O fliess, ja wallend fliess in Zähren'
Hob 26a_20 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Zufriedenheit' (Contentment)
Hob 26a_21 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Das Leben Ist Ein Traum'
Hob 26a_22 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Lob Der Faulheit'
Hob 26a_23 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Minna'
Hob 26a_24 Lied for Voice & Keyboard 'Auf Meines Vaters Grab'
   Elly Ameling / Jörg Demus

Hob 28_12 Opera "Armida"
   Chamber Orchestra of Lausanne / Dorati  Norman / Ahnsjö / Burrowes / Ramey / Rolfe Johnson

As always lately, we start out with the standalone publication of the overture for this year's opera, Armida, once again ably provided by our Herr Huss and friends. As I always do, I remind our non-operatic friends of what a nice pair of disks this is, which allow a taste of Haydn's opera prowess without the rest of it. :)

As it was with Cello Concerto #1 in C, so it is with #2 in D; I really was not able to make a choice between the 2 versions listed here, since I think that having both is worth your while. And that's not to mention the lovely version by Queyras and the Freiburger's on Harmonia Mundi:

This set of 3 sonatas was composed as a set of three and published the following year. I have chosen three different styles, three different keyboards, and so a nice variety. I particularly like Beghin's Viennese Square Piano in this work. Of course, with all the great players out there, you can scarcely go wrong no matter the combination you choose. Even if it combines just 1 player... :)

This second set of Lieder mit Klavier is most attractive. Not being a German speaker, I can't tell that the quality of the poetry is allegedly not up to the same standard as the first set. The quality of the music is though. This set, a classic by Ameling and Demus, I got in the Big Box, but lacking that, you can not only find the original disks on Phillips, the box that I pictured (licensed by Brilliant) or, if you have an SACD player, Pentatone have remastered the entire in what I am told is wonderful sound.

Finally, Armida. I am still listening to the Dorati with little to complain about, but I recently ordered and haven't yet received, the set by Harnoncourt featuring Cecelia Bartoli and one of my favorite tenors, Christoph Prégardien. I am looking forward to this, as I understand the playing of the Concentus Musicus here is even above their usual standards.

So, there is 1783. A good year for music. I could sit and listen to this year over and over. In fact, I have... :D

All feedback welcomed. Enjoy the music. :)

8)

SonicMan46

Concerning the Violin Concertos, I have just one recording on Brilliant w/ Federico Guglielmo, so will be quite interested in the comments on Carmignola who I have on other non-Haydn performances.

As I was looking at reviews of the two discs mentioned, I noticed the Naxos release which gleamed nearly all 5* reviews, so yet another consideration possibly - would not mind a second recording of these works! :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on January 04, 2012, 06:24:47 PM

This second set of Lieder mit Klavier is most attractive. Not being a German speaker, I can't tell that the quality of the poetry is allegedly not up to the same standard as the first set. The quality of the music is though. This set, a classic by Ameling and Demus, I got in the Big Box, but lacking that, you can not only find the original disks on Phillips, the box that I pictured (licensed by Brilliant) or, if you have an SACD player, Pentatone have remastered the entire in what I am told is wonderful sound.

All feedback welcomed. Enjoy the music. :)

Well, excellent comments and suggestions again, Gurn.

Regarding the Pentatone set, I concur: its sound quality is wonderful and quite superior to the Brilliant set. Anyway, you don't need a SACD player because it's a set of hybrid discs, so you only need your regular CD player. Very strongly recommended, indeed, even if you have previous incarnations of the same recordings.  :)

Leo K.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 05, 2012, 08:50:13 AM

Regarding the Pentatone set, I concur: its sound quality is wonderful and quite superior to the Brilliant set. Anyway, you don't need a SACD player because it's a set of hybrid discs, so you only need your regular CD player. Very strongly recommended, indeed, even if you have previous incarnations of the same recordings.  :)

I just received this and I'm excited to dig in soon,as the combination of Haydn and Ameling sounds wonderful.

Thanks Gurn and all here for this ongoing discussion!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 05, 2012, 08:30:42 AM
Concerning the Violin Concertos, I have just one recording on Brilliant w/ Federico Guglielmo, so will be quite interested in the comments on Carmignola who I have on other non-Haydn performances.

As I was looking at reviews of the two discs mentioned, I noticed the Naxos release which gleamed nearly all 5* reviews, so yet another consideration possibly - would not mind a second recording of these works! :)

Lots of good options in these works, Dave. The ones you featured, and this one here:
[asin]B00004TQQS[/asin]

and then Standage:

Probably lots more too, seems like whenever I start looking at these I end up with 'Oh, that's right, I have that one too...". :)

I want to hear what Carmignola has to say though, he is one of the finest fiddlers around. :)

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 05, 2012, 08:50:13 AM

Thanks, Antoine. I might just go after that Pentatone set myself once things have settled out. There really are very few complete sets of the 2nd Deutsch Lieder mit Klavier, unlike the first cycle. I am using Ameling/Demus for other, later songs too, so nice sound for all of them is in order. :)

8)

Leo K.

By the way, the London Haydn Quartet does it again in their Op.20 account...absolutely stunning sonics and performances! Wow!

jlaurson

The Naxos-Haydn is an *awesome* disc; HMB's Haydn is every bit as good as his best Bach and Hadelich is going to be a major violinist soon and the disc shows why.

The Archiv disc is available on the MPE Player and Spotify. Only listened with one ear last night, on the computer: quite lovely.

kishnevi

As I was looking at reviews of the two discs mentioned, I noticed the Naxos release which gleamed nearly all 5* reviews, so yet another consideration possibly - would not mind a second recording of these works

Actually, the Naxos box set of the Complete Concertos is probably worth getting, if you're not Gurn. (It's not PI.)
[asin]B001NZA0GK[/asin]

Meanwhile, on another front, look what FedEx just dropped off at my door, with a bunch of other Naxos CDs (Respighi, Barber, Tippett)
[asin]B0000502AH[/asin]