Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on April 08, 2012, 08:42:41 AM
Just for playing, Media Monkey is good, as is (at least that's the word; i've only just intstalled it after finalloy chucking iTunes which continued to crash my computer) foobar2000. The king of tagging and library management, if you are not afraid of complexity, is http://musichi.eu/. Built from scratch for the obsessive compulsive classical music freak.

You're right about that. But I thank god that I'm not OCD laden!  ( ::) ). I couldn't do much with Foobar because it just was more complex in all ways than where I cared to be. But yes, just for playing music, Media Monkey is hard to beat.

I rip in dBpoweramp and/or EAC
Tag in MP3Tag
Play in Media Monkey

I know that Foobar does all of these things excellently, but I strongly doubt it does any of them better, and I know it doesn't do any of them easier! :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Uncle Connie

Okay, ready?  It's Easter.  I'm not doing much of anything else.  Unlike Gurn, I do seem to have the OCD bug at times.  And so just for the hell of it I made a list of all the nicknames I have ever come across for Haydn symphonies.  Sources:  Many and varied.  Most of these are well known.  A few not.  Some date back as far as the old 'High Fidelity' magazine and one of its founding reviewers, Cornelius G. Burke, who also happened to be a Haydn nut and even published a book, "The Collector's Haydn," in '58 or '59 that purported to be a complete discography for the time.  (I mention him only because I once posted a similar list to the Amazon forum and several Haydn-savvy people had never heard a few of these - and mostly they were the ones where Burke was my source.  Maybe he invented them?  'Janus' for 97 is specifically his doing, because he said so.  The others?  I dunno, I'm just the scribe in this case.) 

Anybody having any additional, I'd love to know them.

6 - Morning
7 - Mid-day
8 - Evening and the Storm ((note, these first three are the ONLY ones added by Haydn himself))
13 - Jupiter
22 - Philosopher
26 - Lamentation
30 - Alleluia
31 - Horn-signal (or 'Auf dem Anstand')
35 - Spring
38 - Echo
39 - Fist
43 - Mercury
44 - Mourning
45 - Farewell
47 - Palindrome
48 - Maria Theresia
49 - Passion
53 - Imperial
55 - Schoolmaster
59 - Fire
60 - Absent-minded
63 - La Roxelane
64 - Tempora mutantur
69 - Laudon
73 - La Chasse
77 - Don Ottavio
82 - Bear
83 - Hen
85 - Queen of France
88 - Letter 'V'
92 - Oxford
93 - Great Bassoon Joke  ((not actually a 'nickname,' rather a descriptor by Sir Donald Tovey that seems to follow the symphony everywhere....))
94 - Surprise
96 - Miracle
97 - Janus
100 - Military
101 - Clock
[102 - the REAL Miracle - and since nicknames seem to equal popularity, could we please move 96's designator to this one?]
103 - Drum-roll
104 - London

Happy Chocolate Bunny Day to all!

jlaurson

Quote from: Uncle Connie on April 08, 2012, 12:32:39 PM
Okay, ready?  It's Easter.  I'm not doing much of anything else...
Anybody having any additional, I'd love to know them.

Happy Chocolate Bunny Day to all!

1.) It's easter. Listen to Symphony no. 26, "Lamentatione", Haydn's (explicit) "Easter Symphony"

2.) How, how, just how could you forget and/or leave out the nickname of Haydn's Symphony No.99 -- "The Cat"?!*

* http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,2294.msg583387.html#msg583387

kishnevi

As Jens said.

You must include "The Cat".

Uncle Connie

The easy way for me to have omitted "The Cat" is the one I chose, viz. I'd never heard it before.  Thanks, guys!  Come to think on it, that very last wind chord at the end of the slow intro. to the first mvt. does sound a bit like a cat yawning.  (I wonder why it really got the nickname - any idea?)

Now playing:  Sym. 26 as instructed.  Fine choice!!

jlaurson

Quote from: Uncle Connie on April 08, 2012, 03:04:25 PM
The easy way for me to have omitted "The Cat" is the one I chose, viz. I'd never heard it before.  Thanks, guys!  Come to think on it, that very last wind chord at the end of the slow intro. to the first mvt. does sound a bit like a cat yawning.  (I wonder why it really got the nickname - any idea?)

Now playing:  Sym. 26 as instructed.  Fine choice!!

You are forgiven -- it hasn't existed for very long.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 08, 2011, 06:25:58 AM
99 is one of my favorites. I don't understand though why it hasn't acquired the nickname Die Katze (the Cat). The second subject first movement sounds like a meow to me 8)  80 in D minor is another favorite. Some of those written around the time of the Horn Signal have tremendous music for horns too, which I love. I just can't remember which ones! Damn Papa for composing too many to remember  ;D

Sarge

jlaurson

Madiel

Quote from: Uncle Connie on April 08, 2012, 12:32:39 PM
[102 - the REAL Miracle - and since nicknames seem to equal popularity, could we please move 96's designator to this one?]

Preach it brother!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 06, 2012, 02:37:41 AM
Oh heavens. I haven't heard any I've disliked yet. I suppose if I had to pick, say, four, it would be these:

Thank you, again, for this, Sarge.  The economizer in me wants to wait out the complete set — though in a perfect world, I should wish to buy each volume as it comes out, in greater foundational support of the endeavor.  I do want to go ahead and fetch in a volume or two, and your momentary agony is dearly appreciated. : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2012, 05:00:53 AM
Thank you, again, for this, Sarge.  The economizer in me wants to wait out the complete set — though in a perfect world, I should wish to buy each volume as it comes out, in greater foundational support of the endeavor.  I do want to go ahead and fetch in a volume or two, and your momentary agony is dearly appreciated. : )

Karl, I haven't checked this lately, but traditionally, BRO has a large stock of the Fey Haydn recordings at their usual good prices. It would be worth checking if you are interested in pursuing them. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Thanks for the head's-up, O Gurn!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Leon

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2012, 05:34:13 AM
Thanks for the head's-up, O Gurn!

Also, as I said earlier, several installments are on Spotify.  I may be mistaken but I think all of the ones Sarge suggests are there.

Karl Henning

Oh, well I've not Spotified.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Leon

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2012, 06:52:51 AM
Oh, well I've not Spotified.

There is a free option, although the $5/month subsciption I signed up for has been well worth it, if for no other reason than to be able to completely experience a CD before buying or not.  I am sure not trying to be a shill for it, but I consider it one of the better deals.

:)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Arnold on April 09, 2012, 07:04:39 AM
There is a free option, although the $5/month subsciption I signed up for has been well worth it, if for no other reason than to be able to completely experience a CD before buying or not.  I am sure not trying to be a shill for it, but I consider it one of the better deals.

:)

Does that cut out ads? Drives me nuts listening a piece interrupted in between movements with an insurance ad...

...with that being said, I've really enjoyed Spotify, have probably increased my purchases by 50% by being able to sample discs in their entirety rather than 30 second snippets.

Leon

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 09, 2012, 07:11:30 AM
Does that cut out ads? Drives me nuts listening a piece interrupted in between movements with an insurance ad...

...with that being said, I've really enjoyed Spotify, have probably increased my purchases by 50% by being able to sample discs in their entirety rather than 30 second snippets.

Well, that is the downside to a free account.  But the free option is there to get an idea about the product without committing any money.  I quickly decided to invest $5 a month for full access with no ads.  There are some things I don't like, like having some tracks grayed out among a CD of "complete" works, but this does not happen enough to be a deal-breaker.

Ataraxia

Quote from: Arnold on April 09, 2012, 07:16:50 AM
Well, that is the downside to a free account.  But the free option is there to get an idea about the product without committing any money.  I quickly decided to invest $5 a month for full access with no ads.  There are some things I don't like, like having some tracks grayed out among a CD of "complete" works, but this does not happen enough to be a deal-breaker.

It happens a lot with DG.

TheGSMoeller

Cool, may replace Netflix monthly account for a Spotify account.

Thanks, friends.  ;)

Ataraxia

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 09, 2012, 07:18:29 AM
Cool, may replace Netflix monthly account for a Spotify account.

Thanks, friends.  ;)

I do $10 a month so I can listen through my phone...which I'm doing as we speak!  :)