Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Uncle Connie on April 30, 2012, 11:48:15 AM

Hasse abounds on my shelves, but every single note is vocal music.  I think I need to invest in some instrumental things.  Ideas, Leo K. (or anyone)?

Uncle Connie,

Although I prefer Hasse's vocal music, his flute concerti are jewels of the Galant age. I'm thinking of this recording, with Laurence Dean and the Hannoversche Hofkapelle:

Have a wonderful vacation man!

8)

Uncle Connie

Leo K :  Thanks, it is ordered.  I look forward to ripping it open and rushing to the player on my return.

Vacation report on return - yes it'll be relevant.  Three hours to 'plane, bye now.

Uncle Connie

Oh, and - while poking around for the other Hasse, I saw this and got it too.

[asin]B000AAIWI2[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Been looking for some solo organ works by Hasse. I know he wrote some, but recordings are thin on the ground. He and Wagenseil were role models for the young Haydn, not to mention Reutter. You can tell what a forgiving sort Haydn was by the fact that he didn't mind the abuse as long as he got the training. Bless his heart. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 03, 2012, 11:44:03 AM
Been looking for some solo organ works by Hasse. I know he wrote some, but recordings are thin on the ground. He and Wagenseil were role models for the young Haydn, not to mention Reutter. You can tell what a forgiving sort Haydn was by the fact that he didn't mind the abuse as long as he got the training. Bless his heart. :)

8)

I found this one on Spotify:

[asin]B000027BI0[/asin]

But you're right, not much out there.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on May 03, 2012, 11:48:42 AM
I found this one on Spotify:

[asin]B000027BI0[/asin]

But you're right, not much out there.

Yes, I ran across that one too. I am hoping to find something like preludes (& fugues), but that just might not happen. Still, a concerto for a smaller mass could be very apt, although I have all of Haydn's several times over. Always nice to have options though. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

These are "concertos" for solo organ; not the normal idea of a concerto, and as far as I can tell, all he wrote for organ.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Arnold on May 03, 2012, 12:16:21 PM
These are "concertos" for solo organ; not the normal idea of a concerto . . . .

Of course, there is a precedent in (at the very least) the BWV 971.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on May 03, 2012, 12:16:21 PM
These are "concertos" for solo organ; not the normal idea of a concerto, and as far as I can tell, all he wrote for organ.

Ah, that was less than obvious from the description I read. I'll have to give that a more careful looksee. Thanks for that!

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 03, 2012, 12:27:24 PM
Ah, that was less than obvious from the description I read. I'll have to give that a more careful looksee. Thanks for that!

8)

If your purpose is what I think it is, a concerto for solo organ might be entirely appropriate, and possibly more frequently done than a normal concerto.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 03, 2012, 04:54:19 PM
If your purpose is what I think it is, a concerto for solo organ might be entirely appropriate, and possibly more frequently done than a normal concerto.

Yes, I've been considering it since Arnold first posted and I have come to the same conclusion. I downloaded one of the ones in F major, which doesn't make me happy from a key standpoint, but the set is 2 in F, 2 in G and  2 in D. Bb would have been killer from my POV.... :)  Still, no complaints, I think we're on the right track. 0:)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 03, 2012, 12:05:25 PM
Yes, I ran across that one too. I am hoping to find something like preludes (& fugues), but that just might not happen...

I have been doing some research and although it's not totally what I was searching for, I think this disc could be useful, Gurn:

[asin]B000005ANC[/asin]

... well, actually my only true quibble about this recording it's the instrument, not an original one, but a modern Italian Tamburini organ from 1976 (a sort of Neo-Baroque organ).

I also thought that Michael Haydn's "50 Little Organ Pieces" could be a good option, but are scarcely recorded (some of them are included in the aforementioned disc). I have two or three additional recommendation I will post later. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 03, 2012, 06:32:23 PM
I have been doing some research and although it's not totally what I was searching for, I think this disc could be useful, Gurn:

[asin]B000005ANC[/asin]

... well, actually my only true quibble about this recording it's the instrument, not an original one, but a modern Italian Tamburini organ from 1976 (a sort of Neo-Baroque organ).

I also thought that Michael Haydn's "50 Little Organ Pieces" could be a good option, but are extremely scarcely recorded. I have two or three additional recommendation I will post later.

Ooh, Albrechtsberger! Very nice! This could play a nice role.

I am working in Eb, FYI. So that and its relatives are something for the back of the mind. :)

8)

SonicMan46

In Search of Haydn (running about 100+ minutes) - this is an excellent introduction to Papa Haydn w/ a mixture of history, comments by musical historians, and discussions by important performers (Ax, Brautigam, and others) - this is a video that should be watched by Haydn fans - not sure worth a purchase (i.e. I'd prefer 4-6 volumes myself - HA!) - SO, for us devoted Haydn fans, this video should at least be rented if possible; it is a beautiful production, but will I watch it again?  Not sure - just my thoughts @ the moment - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Mileage will vary, inevitably : )

I've already watched it at least three times....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on May 06, 2012, 06:50:45 AM
Mileage will vary, inevitably : )

I've already watched it at least three times....

Me too. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Berliner Philharmoniker \ Claudio Abbado - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 3rd mvmt - Adagio molto e cantabile - Andante moderato

Leon

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 05, 2012, 07:38:46 PM
In Search of Haydn (running about 100+ minutes) - this is an excellent introduction to Papa Haydn w/ a mixture of history, comments by musical historians, and discussions by important performers (Ax, Brautigam, and others) - this is a video that should be watched by Haydn fans - not sure worth a purchase (i.e. I'd prefer 4-6 volumes myself - HA!) - SO, for us devoted Haydn fans, this video should at least be rented if possible; it is a beautiful production, but will I watch it again?  Not sure - just my thoughts @ the moment - Dave :)

I am of the opinion that this film is of such high enough quality to be a must-have for any Haydn fan.  I have watched the main film once but plan on going back and watching the extra items, and will probably watch the main film again from time to time.

Gurn Blanston

I'm curious how different people listen to music. I mean, not whether it's with my ears, or while reading a book or the Forum. Rather, do you just grab a disk and throw it on and listen from end to end? Or do you do it thematically, like "all the songs are about rainbows", so to speak.  Or is there some other key that you use to gain the most from your listening experience? Or do you care about that? Something else altogether?

If you feel like sharing, please do. Some of you already know that I have some thoughts on the matter, but I want to know what yours are. :)

8)

Karl Henning

I listen in a variety of ways.  Sometimes, it's just listening to a disc straight through.  Sometimes, I have some momentary interest and pursue that (such as my Sibelius and Nielsen mélange, earlier to-day).

Sometimes, it's just Haydn all the time . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

I tend to listen to the whole box of string quartets if I start one ...

And the same for the 'London' symphonies.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."