Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 16, 2013, 06:44:28 AM
Yes, 104, THE 'London' Symphony. In D. :)

8)

That's what I thought.  Check!  :)

Gurn Blanston

New acquisition, just arrived this week and having a first listen.

I've been trying to round this up for several years now, but it was either unavailable or prohibitively expensive. Very recently, AMP has gotten a fair number of listings and I got this one from Momox in Germany for nearly nothing! It appears to be new, the disks were typically difficult to remove and the booklet hadn't been opened yet.

The opera itself is wonderfully performed. I have this work in one of my Dorati boxes, and not to take anything away from those landmark issues, this one has a more intimate feel to it. Academia Montis Regalis are familiar to me from some Vivaldi/Naive disks they have done, they are a superb ensemble. This carries over to opera as well. The singers, especially Anke Hermann as Silvia, are very much in tune with Haydn's style.

If you run across this disk on offer, you wouldn't be disappointed. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 16, 2013, 11:04:50 AM

The Deserted Island --- yet there are at least four people on it. How come?  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on November 16, 2013, 11:13:08 AM
The Deserted Island --- yet there are at least four people on it. How come?  ;D

Because the plot required someone to sing. It's opera, you need to refrain from asking 'why?'. Otherwise it would be '4:33' with a painted backdrop. :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 16, 2013, 11:14:59 AM
It's opera, you need to refrain from asking 'why?'.

Of course. Think Tristan und Isolde --- a guy who has just been stabbed in the back sings and sings and sings for almost three quarters of an hour... and we are supposed to believe that Wagner's plots are superior to Bellini's. Bah, humbug!  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 16, 2013, 11:04:50 AM
New acquisition, just arrived this week and having a first listen.

I've been trying to round this up for several years now, but it was either unavailable or prohibitively expensive. Very recently, AMP has gotten a fair number of listings and I got this one from Momox in Germany for nearly nothing! It appears to be new, the disks were typically difficult to remove and the booklet hadn't been opened yet.

The opera itself is wonderfully performed. I have this work in one of my Dorati boxes, and not to take anything away from those landmark issues, this one has a more intimate feel to it. Academia Montis Regalis are familiar to me from some Vivaldi/Naive disks they have done, they are a superb ensemble. This carries over to opera as well. The singers, especially Anke Hermann as Silvia, are very much in tune with Haydn's style.

If you run across this disk on offer, you wouldn't be disappointed. :)

8)

Sound like a good catch, congrats! :)  :)

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on November 17, 2013, 01:34:41 AM
Sound like a good catch, congrats! :)  :)

Q

Thanks, Q.  I have slowly been acquiring the operas in alternative versions (to Dorati), but they are thin on the ground, and generally OOP. Anytime I can bolster that group I am always delighted. And this is a good one!  :)

8)

The new erato

This is a sure sign it will be reissued any minute.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The new erato on November 17, 2013, 01:09:25 PM
This is a sure sign it will be reissued any minute.

:)  Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Still, $10 last week vs $75 last year made it a no brainer. :)

8)

prémont

Quote from: Gordo on November 08, 2013, 08:47:36 AM
The Toronto Chamber Orchestra plays PI, AFAIK.

A rather ambiguous explanation on the orchestras Naxos page:

The Toronto Chamber Orchestra is the brainchild of violinist and conductor Kevin Mallon. The orchestra is the "modern instrument" manifestation of the period instrument orchestra the Aradia Ensemble. As such, the players also play baroque instruments and all are well versed in stylistic issues from the 18th century to the modern day. The orchestra's approach is to extend to all periods of music the transparency and purity of tone one achieves with period instruments.

I read this in the way, that they play MI, when they use the name Toronto Chamber orchestra.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 18, 2013, 10:58:27 AM
A rather ambiguous explanation on the orchestras Naxos page:

The Toronto Chamber Orchestra is the brainchild of violinist and conductor Kevin Mallon. The orchestra is the "modern instrument" manifestation of the period instrument orchestra the Aradia Ensemble. As such, the players also play baroque instruments and all are well versed in stylistic issues from the 18th century to the modern day. The orchestra's approach is to extend to all periods of music the transparency and purity of tone one achieves with period instruments.

I read this in the way, that they play MI, when they use the name Toronto Chamber orchestra.

I would read it that way too. *sigh*

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on November 18, 2013, 11:23:15 AM
Why are there any orchestras still playing Haydn on modern instruments?

:o

;D

I ain't touchin' that one!    0:)

8)

Roberto

Dear Haydn fans!
I've listened to the 104th symphony with Koopman/RCO on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqIhR7aT3uc)
It impressed me very much. I don't have any Haydn London symphonies album yet but I want to buy one. I like the speed and the last timpani roll of the Koopman performance also. I've listened to excerpts and samples but I didn't find it on other recordings. Do you have any suggestion which London symphonies box should I buy? I prefer period instrument performances but I like modern instrument performances also if it has good balance.

jlaurson

Quote from: Roberto on November 18, 2013, 11:28:09 PM
Dear Haydn fans!
I've listened to the 104th symphony with Koopman/RCO on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqIhR7aT3uc)
It impressed me very much. I don't have any Haydn London symphonies album yet but I want to buy one. I like the speed and the last timpani roll of the Koopman performance also. I've listened to excerpts and samples but I didn't find it on other recordings. Do you have any suggestion which London symphonies box should I buy? I prefer period instrument performances but I like modern instrument performances also if it has good balance.

I would go with Minkowski. http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2010/12/best-recordings-of-2010-3.html Fits your criteria for the most part... PI, modern sound, vivacious and swift. Other than that, Fey, the "Hobbit", is modern instruments but rocks just about everybody's world.

jlaurson

;D

Why aren't all orchestras playing on modern instruments playing Haydn?!?

(It'd do them a world of good!)

Brahmsian

;D

Well, it is a blessing that we have a choice of recordings to enjoy, both on period instruments and on modern instruments.

I tend to not be a fan of 'period instrument' performances for Baroque, Classical and Romantic Era composers, although, I've encountered exceptions.  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Roberto on November 18, 2013, 11:28:09 PMI like the speed and the last timpani roll of the Koopman performance also.

I listened to Norrington/Stuttgart, Norrington/LCP, Jochum, Bernstein, Fey, Kuijken, Minkowski and Hogwood. The closest to Koopman in tempo and timpani presence in the last movement is Hogwood:

Lenny and Jochum apparently gave the timpanist the day off. Minkowski and Kuijken are rather laid back with a noticeably slower tempo; and while their drums can be heard they seem to be buried in the bars I think you are talking about. Fey, as usual, has spectacular drums...until the end  :(

Unfortunately Hogwood didn't complete his cycle. No complete set of Londons from him. The next best, in terms of what you are looking for, is Norrington Stuttugart, I think. It just happens to be my favorite set of Londons. Modern instruments but HIP.

P.S. In none of the versions I listened to does the timpanist play exactly the same notes Koopman's does. I think he improvises a few extra wacks  8)

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Timpani cadenza! Bring it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

;D

Because most orchestral musicians, when involved in a concert covering a range of musical eras, don't have another instrument handy for the next piece.  If you want to tell every ensemble that they must restrict themselves to music of a specific generation and never venture outside it until they purchase the correct instruments, then go for it, but I won't be joining you.

EDIT: I can't wait until someone argues one shouldn't attend a Haydn concert in modern clothing.  And that one must change at interval because they're playing Brahms next.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

jlaurson

Quote from: orfeo on November 20, 2013, 12:41:46 AM
Because most orchestral musicians, when involved in a concert covering a range of musical eras, don't have another instrument handy for the next piece.  If you want to tell every ensemble that they must restrict themselves to music of a specific generation and never venture outside it until they purchase the correct instruments, then go for it, but I won't be joining you.

EDIT: I can't wait until someone argues one shouldn't attend a Haydn concert in modern clothing.  And that one must change at interval because they're playing Brahms next.

I think you've gone a little too literal on sanantonio.  ;)