Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

This is also expensive for my wallet, but highly tempting...

Should I, sometimes in the future?...
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

alkan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 20, 2013, 03:41:14 PM
I would vote for ANYONE above Kuijken. I had his Paris symphonies and I thought they were dreadful. I am in the minority on this matter, so take that for what it's worth.

There is nothing more subjective than music !!

But I am curious to hear the reasons that caused you to react so strongly against Kuijken's version of the Paris symphonies.    I have these recordings to and whilst I would rate them slightly lower than his London symphonies, I still enjoy them very much.   

Which recordings do you prefer?

Thanks

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2013, 10:34:49 AM
This is also expensive for my wallet, but highly tempting...

Should I, sometimes in the future?...

I've been looking at that too. I like Augér's voice so much that I can nearly overcome my distaste for the modern piano. Let me know what you think. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Gurn must answer, but I had taken that as ". . . in this literature."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on November 21, 2013, 11:24:28 AM
Hi Gurn,

Is that in all works, like the romantic era ones, too?

No, those were written for modern piano, so I find it totally appropriate. Doesn't matter though, since I don't listen to modern music like that. :)

8)

Quote from: karlhenning on November 21, 2013, 11:31:05 AM
Gurn must answer, but I had taken that as ". . . in this literature."

Just so...

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Wig powdered to Mijnheer's satisfaction?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on November 21, 2013, 11:42:36 AM
Wig powdered to Mijnheer's satisfaction?

*takes pinch of snuff*  Why yes, nice work, lackey!  *sneezes*  :)

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: alkan on November 21, 2013, 10:54:48 AM
There is nothing more subjective than music !!

But I am curious to hear the reasons that caused you to react so strongly against Kuijken's version of the Paris symphonies.    I have these recordings to and whilst I would rate them slightly lower than his London symphonies, I still enjoy them very much.   

Which recordings do you prefer?

Thanks
Sure. I can do that. Let me start with how I picked Kuijkin in the first place. At the time, I had virtually no symphonies - just the Londons (with Davis). I was not really focused on HIP or modern, but just a good recording of the Paris symphonies (and the Paris symphonies seemed the natural next buy). I picked the Kuijkin, because there seemed to be pretty universal praise for them (in terms of speeds, transparency, and overall sound). As a result, my expectations were high. I include this just to lay the foundation.

I will use the Bear (#82) to compare, because it is one of my favorites and is first on the the disc (and thus easier to compare with the comparison Bear under Fischer). I only have these two recordings of this particular symphony (for reference, I do have a disc or two of Norrington and Orpheus in other symphonies, while my library has Dorati).

There are three big problems I have:
1. Sound - The biggest issue here is that bass/low reister instruments are lacking. This creates an imbalance in the sound, but makes it high pitched sounding with not enough presence from the bottom. Fischer has a strong bass/low register sound, reinforced by the reverb. For me, this makes the piece uncomfortable to listen to (Kuijkin).
2. Balance - As mentioned, the balance is totally out of whack with the violin and similarly high pitched instruments overly dominant. It almost sounds like a violin concerto - it's that bad.
3. Phrasing - It is too stacatto, so much so that there are often gaps in the playing (where the silence is left to go on for too long). This utterly destroys the flow and the overall line. This is not to say that every note is played this way, just that this is the impact it creates. This impact is evident in the very opening, in fact in just the first 10-15 seconds. I could be willing to forgive some of the more temporary issues, but losing the line is a major no-no in my book.

This recording is often praised for its transparency, and I agree that it is a strength, except that in this case it simply makes all the problems from 1, 2 and 3 stand out even more. Thus, its strength becomes a major liability.

I find I like the rubato/change in speeds of the Fischer better than the more consistent Kuijkin (except that it can become monochromatic at times) - though only really in the opening movement.  The Fischer is also smoother.

There are other issues, but really these are the most telling for me. The result is that I simply cannot take it. Admittedly, 82 is the worst and it does seem to improve in the second grouping (88-92). Perhaps they were recorded at a different time - I have not checked. Anyway, that about sums it up.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Roberto

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 21, 2013, 12:06:49 PM
There are three big problems I have:
Very helpful post! As for the sound: the forceful low register is important for me too (with forceful timpani  :)) :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 21, 2013, 12:06:49 PM
....it does seem to improve in the second grouping (88-92). Perhaps they were recorded at a different time - I have not checked. Anyway, that about sums it up.

Well, you know, they are two different orchestras, so one will expect some differences. The 'Paris' set is the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, while the balance of them are Les Petites Bande.

I have settled on Harnoncourt for the Paris works. Kuijken/LPB are very satisfactory (but not alone) in the others. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on November 21, 2013, 12:26:27 PM

Ok, one last question, so to you, modern is post-classical period?

Post-Schubert. 0:)

8)

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 20, 2013, 07:12:59 AM
Yes, it's a good one although I have a few quibbles. The Nimbus sound is rather congested compared to Fey (his recording of the Horn Concerto and "Hornsignal"). In Goodman's Symphony the horns occasionally overwhelm the rest of the orchestra. The Hänssler is better balanced, the sections and instruments distinct, audible but nothing dominating, everything easy to hear. Whether it's the Nimbus sonics or Hampstead's natural tone, he sounds slightly muffled when he isn't playing forté. Bruns for Fey produces a brighter tone overall. That doesn't mean Bruns is better, just different. Goodman's way with the Concerto is probably the way it should go but I like how Fey turns it into a Sturm und Drang piece  8)  And, believe it or not, I enjoy Fey's harpsichordist in the Concerto! (No...HIP aliens have not taken over my body :D ) He adds some delightful curlicues and flourishes. This is one time I wish Goodman's harpsichord were more prominent (I can't believe I said that....maybe I have been assimilated  ??? )

But despite the above, I do really enjoy Goodman's performances too.

Sarge

Thanks for that report, Sarge. Very interesting.

It doesn't surprise me in some ways that the Hännsler sound is better, that jibes up with my experience over the years. I'm curious if you chose Fey for comparison because it is your favorite? I haven't heard it, the only MI Hornsignal I've heard is Fischer, which is also very good.

It is my opinion that the differences in the horn sound do not lie with the players but with the nature of the instruments. Modern horns, of course, have rotary valves, while natural horns involve sticking ones hand in the bell to make chromatic notes. This naturally causes some muffling such as you describe. There is a lot to be said for the modern horn!

I am stunned over your admission about the harpsichord! Is this truly our Sarge, or a pod-creature!  :D :D  Well, as I've stated many times here, I go both ways on the harpsichord front, actually not having a preference. I have been considering snapping up that particular Fey disk while it is still readily available. Perhaps I will do on my next order. :)

8)

Old Listener

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 20, 2013, 03:41:14 PM
I would vote for ANYONE above Kuijken. I had his Paris symphonies and I thought they were dreadful. I am in the minority on this matter, so take that for what it's worth.

The Kuijken Paris symphony CDs are among the few CDs I have gotten rid of after years of trying to find some merit in them.

Bill

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: sanantonio on November 21, 2013, 03:19:35 PM
;D

Enjoy Haydn, no matter which conductor!

This is true, the notes in the score don't lie.  8)

Wakefield

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 22, 2013, 02:43:50 AM
This is true, the notes in the score don't lie.  8)

That's the reason why I buy discs, not scores. Those "liars" are a lot of fun.  ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 21, 2013, 05:29:23 PM
Thanks for that report, Sarge. Very interesting.
It doesn't surprise me in some ways that the Hännsler sound is better, that jibes up with my experience over the years. I'm curious if you chose Fey for comparison because it is your favorite? I haven't heard it, the only MI Hornsignal I've heard is Fischer, which is also very good.

Fey employs PI brass and horns. I chose Fey because his soloist, Bruns, uses a natural horn like Hampstead. Despite that, he produces a somewhat brighter sound than Hampstead. I don't know if Fey is my favorite 31. I haven't compared it to all my Hornsignals. I normally just enjoy what I'm currently listening to without thinking too critically. Besides Fey and Goodman, I have Hogwood, Fischer and Mackerras.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: sanantonio on November 22, 2013, 03:19:14 AM
Don't tell James, but that sentence pretty much sums me up.

:)

Your secret is safe with me  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

The truth is even greater fun, and beautiful to boot  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA