Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 29, 2014, 05:57:38 PM
:D  Yes, Joe will do that to you when you least expect it. It is hard to tell exactly what he had in mind there, either he just felt like throwing in a little gypsy music for the hell of it, or (as Landon describes it) it is what is called a Kehraus, which is a little bit of a tune that a dance band plays at the end of the night and it's time to go home. In fact, it is loosely translated as 'go home' music. Now, why he would toss that in there is something you'll have to ask him when you see him. He is just that kind of guy.   :D

Don't worry, we are quite unbuttoned here. I even have my shoes off.... 0:)

8)

...but I don't want to go home! The symphony is just half over!!!! ???

Thanks, though. That's interesting.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 29, 2014, 04:29:08 AM

Oh, Ray, did you happen across my essay on #51? Curious if it agrees with your assessment. :)

Darn it.  I am looking for this right now, but I must be blind.  (well, my avatar is blind).  :D  Help me out, please, Gurn?    :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 30, 2014, 05:46:59 AM
Darn it.  I am looking for this right now, but I must be blind.  (well, my avatar is blind).  :D  Help me out, please, Gurn?    :)

http://www.fjhaydn.com/my-blog/2014/05/1773-the-music-part-1-.html

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 30, 2014, 05:46:59 AM

http://www.fjhaydn.com/my-blog/2014/05/1773-the-music-part-1-.html

Although the link in my footer takes you there too, to the newer one and then you just go back one from there. Either way... :)

Hope you enjoy it, amigo, and hey, how 'bout them Rangers!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 29, 2014, 04:29:08 AM
Oh, Ray, did you happen across my essay on #51? Curious if it agrees with your assessment. :)

Most definitely, Gurn.  Many reasons that make this Symphony, No. 51 so unique, are the dynamically written parts for the horns (high notes) and (low notes).  And the two trios in the Menuetto. 

And I agree, that attention seems to get paid more to his symphonies with 'nicknames', which is unfortunate.  I am as guilty as anyone for this.  Symphony No. 51, though, really stands out.  Although all of Haydn's symphonies are unique, this one is uber unique!  :D

Thanks Gurn, I enjoyed reading your impressions on that.

Oh, and such an achingly beautiful II. Adagio.  Just one of the reasons why I voted for No. 51 on the Favourite 15 poll.  Heck, it would likely make my Favourite 5.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 30, 2014, 06:03:08 AM
Most definitely, Gurn.  Many reasons that make this Symphony, No. 51 so unique, are the dynamically written parts for the horns (high notes) and (low notes).  And the two trios in the Menuetto. 

And I agree, that attention seems to get paid more to his symphonies with 'nicknames', which is unfortunate.  I am as guilty as anyone for this.  Symphony No. 51, though, really stands out.  Although all of Haydn's symphonies are unique, this one is uber unique!  :D

Thanks Gurn, I enjoyed reading your impressions on that.

Oh, and such an achingly beautiful II. Adagio.  Just one of the reasons why I voted for No. 51 on the Favourite 15 poll.  Heck, it would likely make my Favourite 5.  :)

Glad you enjoyed it, Ray. I have to tell you, going through the symphonies this way and researching each one as I go along, I have heard new things and rethought so many things I figured I knew; the wonders of his imagination never fail to impress. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

I've been looking to buy this CD for 3 or 4 years now but it was never available. I finally found a copy the other day and it is on the way to me now, I'm curious if anyone has this disk, I've never seen it mentioned in this list, or any other for that matter. I'm a real fan of Haselböck and company. :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 30, 2014, 12:25:16 PM
I've been looking to buy this CD for 3 or 4 years now but it was never available. I finally found a copy the other day and it is on the way to me now, I'm curious if anyone has this disk, I've never seen it mentioned in this list, or any other for that matter. I'm a real fan of Haselböck and company. :)

8)

It looks great, Gurn!

I didn't even know its existence, but knowing what Haselböck and Co. did with the "Tageszeiten" symphonies, it seems totally promising.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

amw

I've been listening to this quite a bit lately; as far as MI Haydn is concerned, it's superb.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: amw on May 30, 2014, 09:04:54 PM
I've been listening to this quite a bit lately; as far as MI Haydn is concerned, it's superb.

I completely agree. I think Nomos did a great job with my favorite opus. I have never seen any other recording by them, I'm curious if this was their only venture. Suppose I out to Google them... :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on May 30, 2014, 08:44:06 PM
It looks great, Gurn!

I didn't even know its existence, but knowing what Haselböck and Co. did with the "Tageszeiten" symphonies, it seems totally promising.  :)

I'll certainly let you know about it, Gordo. I saw it at Amazon quite some time ago, but it was always unavailable. Novalis is a very hard label to find over here, I got Haselböck's 'Organ Masses' disk from a vendor in Prague who sells on the Marketplace. He also advertised this one, but when I ordered it, the order came back as 'oh, well we don't really have it...'. I have high hopes too, based also on their 'Times of Day' disk (and also that 'Organ Masses' disk).   :)

8)

amw

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 31, 2014, 04:13:58 AM
I completely agree. I think Nomos did a great job with my favorite opus. I have never seen any other recording by them, I'm curious if this was their only venture. Suppose I out to Google them... :-\

I found out about them through (surprise surprise) their Schubert D956... apart from that, some Boccherini and Haydn Op 50, they seem to have focused more on modern music. And have surprisingly few CDs out for an ensemble that's been in existence for three decades. (According to their website, they were recording about one cd a year from 1990 to 1999, then didn't release anything until 2012.)

They do evidently play plenty of Haydn, Mozart & Beethoven (along with Kurtág and Schnittke and Hölszky and so forth) to judge by their concert programmes, but without a field trip to Hannover we can't hear any of it.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: amw on May 31, 2014, 04:30:28 AM
I found out about them through (surprise surprise) their Schubert D956... apart from that, some Boccherini and Haydn Op 50, they seem to have focused more on modern music. And have surprisingly few CDs out for an ensemble that's been in existence for three decades.

They do evidently play plenty of Haydn, Mozart & Beethoven (along with Kurtág and Schnittke and Hölszky and so forth) to judge by their concert programmes, but without a field trip to Hannover we can't hear any of it.

Thanks for the info. It isn't surprising I haven't heard their Schnitttke, for example, but to never have seen their Schubert, Beethoven or Boccherini recordings is inexplicable... :-\  I'll have to find their Schubert Quintet, if they have the same sort of performance approach it should be very interesting. :)

8)

amw

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 31, 2014, 04:34:27 AM
Thanks for the info. It isn't surprising I haven't heard their Schnitttke, for example, but to never have seen their Schubert, Beethoven or Boccherini recordings is inexplicable... :-\  I'll have to find their Schubert Quintet, if they have the same sort of performance approach it should be very interesting. :)

Should clarify—they have never actually committed any Schnittke or Mozart or etc to record—though they evidently play quite a bit of it: http://www.nomos-quartett.de/de/termine/

The discography itself is fairly thin on the ground (http://www.nomos-quartett.de/de/diskografie/). I wonder if NDR broadcasts their concerts though.

Brahmsian

I will be listening to (re-visiting) the following 5 symphonies today:

#51 in B flat - one of my faves
#78 in C minor "The Stumbling Goat".  I just have to.  :D
#63 in C major "La Roxelane" - currently my outright favourite. 
#79 in F major (curious to revisit that Presto in the Adagio II mvt.)

#30 in C major "Alleluja" - the one symphony I could not connect with in any way (out of 106/107 symphonies, that is miraculous!)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 31, 2014, 06:55:51 AM
I will be listening to (re-visiting) the following 5 symphonies today:

#51 in B flat - one of my faves
#78 in C minor "The Stumbling Goat".  I just have to.  :D
#63 in C major "La Roxelane" - currently my outright favourite. 
#79 in F major (curious to revisit that Presto in the Adagio II mvt.)

#30 in C major "Alleluja" - the one symphony I could not connect with in any way (out of 106/107 symphonies, that is miraculous!)

Great list, Ray. I think if you listen to #30 from time to time it will suddenly open up for you why a lot of people call it a favorite. I'm looking forward to the new version I have in transit (see post above). Not as though I don't already have several fine ones...  ::)  :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

I love this recording from Rosamunde Quartett of Haydn's Seven Last Words. They utilize very little to no vibrato, and create an airy, serene atmosphere with their beautiful phrasing. It's a good companion to the Mosaiques who I find similar in their approach to the music.
Seven is a piece I frequent often, and the mood I'm in determines the version I spin, tonight I'm feeling very relaxed and prefer a simplistic evening, so naturally I go with four players rather than full orchestra of choir.  ;)

Gurn Blanston

Oh boy, everybody's favorite; opera! C'mon, guys, this is some good stuff! Check it and see, then we'll talk. :)

The most popular opera

Thanks,
8)

torut

I listened to Symphony No. 51 by The Academy of Ancient Music, conducted by Christopher Hogwood, and No. 50 by L'Estro Armonico, conducted by Derek Solomons, on this youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFtmJN8wzcuSWzXIMDXjq0g
(So far, Symphonies No. 1 - 60 by Hogwood and Solomons have been posted.)
I have Adám Fischer's set but I was interested in Hogwood. It's very nice and I like Solomons' performance too, which is vivid and lively.