Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 05, 2014, 04:38:46 AM
. . . part of a genre that all Viennese composers contributed to from the early 1700's through Beethoven and even Bruckner, called 'Festive C major'. Haydn was as good at it as any, and better than most.

He was mighty good at 'Shake-Your-Tailfeather G major,' too! 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: EigenUser on June 05, 2014, 04:30:04 AM
Somebody, help me! ???

I acquired scores for 34, 35, 36, 38, and 65. Which should I hear first? Does anyone have a personal favorite out of these?

In fact, 34, 35, and 36 are part of my favorites list, and so is 65! So, at least for my taste, you really scored with that haul (pun intended  8) ) Where to start? Go for the D minor.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 05, 2014, 04:38:46 AM
I like 38, it might be a good place to start.

Listening to that now; cracking good fun!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 05, 2014, 04:57:25 AM
In fact, 34, 35, and 36 are part of my favorites list, and so is 65! So, at least for my taste, you really scored with that haul (pun intended  8) ) Where to start? Go for the D minor.

Sarge

He specifically told me not to say 'all of them', Sarge. You broke the rules.(even though you're right)    $:)   :D

Quote from: karlhenning on June 05, 2014, 05:03:46 AM
Listening to that now; cracking good fun!

Yes it is. This work was used for several years after it was written, maybe even as late as 1773 when Maria Theresia was visiting. Probably when the trumpet & timpani parts were written.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 05, 2014, 05:42:36 AM
He specifically told me not to say 'all of them', Sarge. You broke the rules.(even though you're right)    $:)   :D

Hey, I did omit 38!  ;D ...but I better not listen to it now. There's a danger that hearing it again might induce me to include it after all  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 05, 2014, 05:52:49 AM
Hey, I did omit 38!  ;D ...but I better not listen to it now. There's a danger that hearing it again might induce me to include it after all  8)

Sarge

Well, you ex-military are used to living dangerously; I say, go for it!   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Somebody, help me! ???

I acquired scores for 34, 35, 36, 38, and 65. Which should I hear first?

35! That opening Allegro di molto is a kicker!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Somebody, help me! ???

I acquired scores for 34, 35, 36, 38, and 65. Which should I hear first? Does anyone have a personal favorite out of these?

And don't just say "they're all good." I know that! 8)

I didn't care much for 22. I thought that the opening movement was kind of dull. *runs for his life*

Since you're a Boulezian these days, I suggest the following. Feed the scores into a shredder, number the resulting strips, construct a fibonacci sequence, take remainders modulo a prime near the number of strips, order the strips thereby and assemble a newer, better composition.
8)

Mandryka

On another forum somone asked whether anything is known about Haydn's view of middle period Beethoven - things like the Eroica. No clear reply was forthcoming so I thought I'd see if anyone here knows the answer.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2014, 12:52:16 PM
Since you're a Boulezian these days, I suggest the following. Feed the scores into a shredder, number the resulting strips, construct a fibonacci sequence, take remainders modulo a prime near the number of strips, order the strips thereby and assemble a newer, better composition.
8)
::) So, liking one piece by Boulez (a short one, at that) makes me a Boulezian?

I am going to name 65 "The Sonar" because of the second movement. The quiet, repeated staccato notes in the violins reminds me of a sonar beeping. It also happens in the trio of the third movement. 8)

Hey, if Sarge can do it, so can I!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on June 05, 2014, 02:16:18 PM
::) So, liking one piece by Boulez (a short one, at that) makes me a Boulezian?

Of course. It reminds me of an old, but unfortunately nasty joke, but to the same end. :D

QuoteI am going to name 65 "The Sonar" because of the second movement. The quiet, repeated staccato notes in the violins reminds me of a sonar beeping. It also happens in the trio of the third movement. 8)

Hey, if Sarge can do it, so can I!

I can live with that. Is there a Latin form of that acronym which will make it sound a bit more appropriate? :)

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 05, 2014, 02:49:32 PM
Of course. It reminds me of an old, but unfortunately nasty joke, but to the same end. :D

I know that joke!  ??? ???

Young Nate, avert your eyes lest Gurn or I shock you with a glimpse of what you parents' generation is really like.  ;)  :laugh:

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2014, 03:50:56 PM
I know that joke!  ??? ???

Young Nate, avert your eyes lest Gurn or I shock you with a glimpse of what you parents' generation is really like.  ;)  :laugh:
It's okay. I have two shining examples currently downstairs arguing about characters on TV shows :( :-[. Well, not currently, but it has happened.

What is the joke?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 05, 2014, 02:49:32 PM

I can live with that. Is there a Latin form of that acronym which will make it sound a bit more appropriate? :)

8)
according to this site, the Latin translation of sonar is sonar.
http://en.glosbe.com/en/la/sonar

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on June 05, 2014, 04:06:20 PM
It's okay. I have two shining examples currently downstairs arguing about characters on TV shows :( :-[. Well, not currently, but it has happened.

What is the joke?

A man at the bar is complaining to the bartender. "I coached the football team for 10 years, do they call me Bob the football coach? No! I drove the school bus for 15 years, do they call me Bob the bus driver? No!  I played the church organ for 20 years, do they call me Bob the church organist? No! But fuck one pig ..."

TheGSMoeller

The simple Haydn Haus Question of the day...

What do you find to be the most uncharacteristic composition from Haydn? A piece that stands out, not in a bad way or maybe it does.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2014, 04:44:23 PM
A man at the bar is complaining to the bartender. "I coached the football team for 10 years, do they call me Bob the football coach? No! I drove the school bus for 15 years, do they call me Bob the bus driver? No!  I played the church organ for 20 years, do they call me Bob the church organist? No! But fuck one pig ..."

That's close enough for government work... :D 

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 05, 2014, 05:01:03 PM
The simple Haydn Haus Question of the day...

What do you find to be the most uncharacteristic composition from Haydn? A piece that stands out, not in a bad way or maybe it does.

I'm going to assume you already have an answer, so that makes it a guessing game. :)  Hmmm... I'll get back to you on that, gotta deal with Mandrake first.  0:)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 05, 2014, 05:09:39 PM
I'm going to assume you already have an answer, so that makes it a guessing game. :)  Hmmm... I'll get back to you on that, gotta deal with Mandrake first.  0:)

8)

Well, my purpose was to get different answers from everyone, there will not be an "envelope please" moment later.  ;D

amw

I never thought the D major cello concerto was by Haydn, even before I learned of the authorship controversy. He's now generally considered to be the author, but it still doesn't sound like it to me.