Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

1774 was a year which didn't have any major highlight; no Empress visiting, for example. Yet there was plenty of musical opportunity for Haydn, given the range of interests and wealth of his patron. So here is a brief look at some of that. Check it out if you are interested, and let's talk!   :)

The theater steals the show

Thanks! 
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Papy Oli

Thank you guys for the comments on the sonatas cycles on the previous page, much appreciated  :)
Olivier

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 16, 2014, 11:53:11 AM
Thank you guys for the comments on the sonatas cycles on the previous page, much appreciated  :)

We treat everyone right, here at Da Haus!   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

In a confluence of events which I hope is more (or less) portentous than last week's full moon / Friday the 13th, I am celebrating exactly 1 year this week of writing my Haydn blog, and doing it with the 100th essay in the series! If you would like to have a look, please do, and feel free to comment or discuss. Among other things I have listed a few additions I am working on for this year. :)

Essay #100

Thanks!
8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2014, 06:13:57 PM
In a confluence of events which I hope is more (or less) portentous than last week's full moon / Friday the 13th, I am celebrating exactly 1 year this week of writing my Haydn blog, and doing it with the 100th essay in the series! If you would like to have a look, please do, and feel free to comment or discuss. Among other things I have listed a few additions I am working on for this year. :)

Essay #100

Thanks!
8)

Gurn - CONGRATS!  I've read many of your excellent essays on Papa Haydn (not all at least yet!) - keep up the great work, and I'll certainly return to read some more - Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 16, 2014, 07:17:19 PM
Gurn - CONGRATS!  I've read many of your excellent essays on Papa Haydn (not all at least yet!) - keep up the great work, and I'll certainly return to read some more - Dave :)

Thanks, Dave. It has been an interesting and enjoyable project so far, and the fact that it interests others is a nice bonus! Of course, I could do a year standing on my head; let's see what next year brings! :D

8)

Karl Henning

"Papa's" good cheer and consistent productivity are my inspiration: dadgummit, this is the year I finish White Nights, and I'll dedicate the completed project to da Haus.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 17, 2014, 04:39:11 AM
"Papa's" good cheer and consistent productivity are my inspiration: dadgummit, this is the year I finish White Nights, and I'll dedicate the completed project to da Haus.

You need to cultivate an aristocratic benefactor, Karl. A pity that you live in Boston, a place where royalty is hard to find.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

We gave them the Brookline boot!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Essay #100

Thanks!
8)

Congratulations on a worthy endeavor. Looking forward to another fine year of reading.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Huzzah for our Gurn!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 17, 2014, 04:59:40 AM
Congratulations on a worthy endeavor. Looking forward to another fine year of reading.

Sarge
Quote from: karlhenning on June 17, 2014, 05:03:55 AM
Huzzah for our Gurn!

Thanks, guys, I do appreciate it. Y'all have inspired me to do this well. :)

8)

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on June 17, 2014, 04:44:38 AM
We gave them the Brookline boot!
Just curious, but I am under the impression you're a Brit Karl, or were.

Karl Henning

Born and raised here on US soil.  In some of my garments, I've not got quite all the soil out even now.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on June 17, 2014, 10:24:05 AM
Born and raised here on US soil.  In some of my garments, I've not got quite all the soil out even now.

Oh dear, I've soiled my linen...   :D

That's OK, Karl, I've been accused of the same failing. This is why I toss in the occasional 'y'all' to keep my little bit of Texas goin' on.   :)

8)

EigenUser

Essay #100

Thanks!
8)
100? So? I thought 104 was the new 100!  ;D

I've read a few so far and I really have enjoyed them. I like how they are written so that even a newbie to Haydn like myself can understand them, but they aren't at all "dumbed-down". You (along with Uatu and his Stockhausen blog) have even inspired me to consider starting a Ligeti blog.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on June 18, 2014, 03:04:42 AM
100? So? I thought 104 was the new 100!  ;D

I've read a few so far and I really have enjoyed them. I like how they are written so that even a newbie to Haydn like myself can understand them, but they aren't at all "dumbed-down". You (along with Uatu and his Stockhausen blog) have even inspired me to consider starting a Ligeti blog.

Thanks, your comments are much appreciated. Especially inasmuch as this was precisely the effect I was going for; aimed at intelligent people who (especially!!) aren't professional musicologists.

I think you would get a great deal of enjoyment from writing a blog. It is not only a great opportunity to justify all you spend on research ( :D ) but personally satisfying too. I strongly encourage you to explore the possibility. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Newly purchased, on a rec by Gordo. Looking forward to this one a lot, since I not only like Lubimov, but I really like the sound of a Tangentenflügel!

[asin]B00IRQBTYA[/asin]

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 18, 2014, 02:28:17 PM
Newly purchased, on a rec by Gordo. Looking forward to this one a lot, since I not only like Lubimov, but I really like the sound of a Tangentenflügel!

[asin]B00IRQBTYA[/asin]

8)

Very nice, in my cart for purchase now. Samples sound great.
Thanks for the rec, Gordo and Gurn!

EigenUser

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 18, 2014, 04:15:13 AM
Thanks, your comments are much appreciated. Especially inasmuch as this was precisely the effect I was going for; aimed at intelligent people who (especially!!) aren't professional musicologists.

I think you would get a great deal of enjoyment from writing a blog. It is not only a great opportunity to justify all you spend on research ( :D ) but personally satisfying too. I strongly encourage you to explore the possibility. :)

8)
I think I'm going to look into it now. I need a good domain like gsligeti.com... :laugh:
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".