Main Menu

Hola

Started by DavidW, April 23, 2007, 04:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DavidW

Hi! :)

I'm DavidW.  Some of you might have known me from the old gmg board, or the cmg board.  I've posted as mahlerfan, gravityman, and DavidW.  I've been posting on cmg since I think fall of 2002, and gmg since what winter of 2004?  I've been listening to classical music since I discovered it in high school and currently my favorite composer is Beethoven.  I have no understanding of musical theory, no ability to play on any musical instruments, the only thing I know how to do is put a cd in the player, and plop into a chair and listen. ;D

Oh yeah one last thing, I overuse emoticons. :D

Bogey

#1
Welcome back David!  Hope all is well your way.

PS: I expect to see a triple digit post count above your avatar by late afternoon tomorrow. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Thanks Bill, btw check your inbox. :)

BachQ

Quote from: DavidW on April 23, 2007, 04:49:18 PM
I've posted as mahlerfan, gravityman, and DavidW. 

Yeah, I remember when you were GRAVITYMAN . . . . . . and, in that persona, you bitch-slapped me every time I dissed Haydn's symphonies . . . . . . .  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: D Minor on April 23, 2007, 05:37:26 PM
Yeah, I remember when you were GRAVITYMAN . . . . . . and, in that persona, you bitch-slapped me every time I dissed Haydn's symphonies . . . . . . .  :D

Well, you DID deserve it... :D

8)

PS - Gravityman was, above all, fair and evenhanded. He was an equal opportunity bitch-slapper. ;D
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

David - thrilled to see your 're-incarnation' in the new GMG Forum -  :)

Welcome back, and hope to see your 'wonderful' posts in the 'immediate' future - Dave  :D

George

#6
Quote from: DavidW on April 23, 2007, 04:49:18 PM
Hi! :)

I'm DavidW.  Some of you might have known me from the old gmg board, or the cmg board.  I've posted as mahlerfan, gravityman, and DavidW.

Let's not forget dtw.  ;D

Quote
I've been posting on cmg since I think fall of 2002, and gmg since what winter of 2004?  I've been listening to classical music since I discovered it in high school and currently my favorite composer is Beethoven.

We're gonna be fast friends.  8)


DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 23, 2007, 06:19:18 PM
PS - Gravityman was, above all, fair and evenhanded. He was an equal opportunity bitch-slapper. ;D

hehe I was a stinker!  I had Paulb confused, at least for awhile... ;D

DavidW

Quote from: George on April 23, 2007, 06:26:28 PM
We're gonna be fast friends.  8)

Yeah I'm back to the basics, the piano sonatas and the ninth symphony.  The ninth doesn't leave my head much these days, it just plays through.  Such violent, passionate music! :o

George

Quote from: DavidW on April 23, 2007, 06:46:38 PM
Yeah I'm back to the basics, the piano sonatas and the ninth symphony.  The ninth doesn't leave my head much these days, it just plays through.  Such violent, passionate music! :o

I haven't heard it in awhile. Perhaps tomorrow...

Who do you like in this one? 

DavidW

Quote from: George on April 23, 2007, 06:49:04 PM
I haven't heard it in awhile. Perhaps tomorrow...

Who do you like in this one? 

I was listening to Blomstedt.  I don't have an informed opinion on 9ths anymore, I've forgot most of the other recordings that I've heard, I just know that I love what I have! :D

George

Quote from: DavidW on April 23, 2007, 06:52:17 PM
I was listening to Blomstedt.  I don't have an informed opinion on 9ths anymore, I've forgot most of the other recordings that I've heard, I just know that I love what I have! :D

Funny, I was listening to Blomstedt's Sibelius today (I think you have this one? ;)) and decided that I definitely prefer Ashkenazy's Sibelius.

I still think HvK's '63 recording is my fave.


DavidW

Quote from: George on April 23, 2007, 06:56:01 PM
Funny, I was listening to Blomstedt's Sibelius today (I think you have this one? ;)) and decided that I definitely prefer Ashkenazy's Sibelius.

Oh that's right!  Awesome, I totally forgot, I only listened to 'em once when I got them, it's time for a relisten.  Perhaps tomorrow, early evening, I'll sit down with a beer and the sixth symphony. :)

QuoteI still think HvK's '63 recording is my fave.

I had that Karajan set for along time, really good.  I handed it off to a friend that loves Beethoven but didn't have a set of his symphonies.  I wonder if he took it with him to Paris or not?  It would be sad for it just collect dust in a closet somewhere.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on April 23, 2007, 06:56:01 PM
Funny, I was listening to Blomstedt's Sibelius today (I think you have this one? ;)) and decided that I definitely prefer Ashkenazy's Sibelius.

I still think HvK's '63 recording is my fave.



The singing on that HvK 63 is hard to beat. For that part it IS my favorite version. Think I'll check out that Blomstadt though.

David, have you heard the Vanska 9th? It is truly nice.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 23, 2007, 07:02:11 PM
The singing on that HvK 63 is hard to beat. For that part it IS my favorite version. Think I'll check out that Blomstadt though.

David, have you heard the Vanska 9th? It is truly nice.

8)

And Gurn, have you heard the Dohn├ínyi/Cleveland 9th....still my favorite.  Just curious.  Even edges out the HvK for me.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Hollywood

 :) :D ;D Welcome back David!  8) $:) 0:) ;)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Harry

Welcome back it is then. ;D

George

Quote from: DavidW on April 23, 2007, 07:00:51 PM
Oh that's right!  Awesome, I totally forgot, I only listened to 'em once when I got them, it's time for a relisten.  Perhaps tomorrow, early evening, I'll sit down with a beer and the sixth symphony. :)

Cool!

When you get a chance, please stop by the "Identify your avatar" thread in the diner?

71 dB

Welcome BACK DavidW !
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Sergeant Rock

David, since you are so good at it, would you bitch-slap dB for us? He's been talking a lot of nonsense in Greta's Mahler thread. Thank you in advance. dB will eventually thank you too ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"