Author Topic: Pierre Boulez (1925-2016)  (Read 186220 times)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
Re: Pierre Boulez (1925-2016)
« Reply #1480 on: March 26, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »
Bon anniversaire, M. Boulez!

The recording by Ralph van Raat of the early Prélude, toccata et scherzo is scheduled for release in May. It’ll be fascinating to get to know a pre-Notations work, and one in which presumably (and given the title) Boulez was still under influences other than those that he retained for his first “acknowledged” compositions.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:51:37 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #1481 on: March 26, 2020, 09:22:57 AM »

The recording by Ralph van Raat of the early Prélude, toccata et scherzo is scheduled for release in May. It’ll be fascinating to get to know a pre-Notations work, and one in which presumably (and given the title) Boulez was still under influences other than those that he retained for his first “acknowledged” compositions.

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing! I will have to check it out for sure.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #1482 on: March 26, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »

I read this book last year, but I can't remember too much of what it showed of the Prélude, toccata et scherzo. I'll have to listen when the disc appears. Why didn't they also include Trois Psalmodies, I wonder?

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline hvbias

« Reply #1483 on: March 27, 2020, 04:02:19 AM »

Thank you for mentioning this, looks like a very interesting release.

If anyone cares to mention some of their favorite solo piano releases from "lesser known" labels I'd love hear about them. I'm sure a lot of it flew under my radar during a time period when I wasn't keeping up with new releases.

Offline T. D.

« Reply #1484 on: March 27, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
If anyone cares to mention some of their favorite solo piano releases from "lesser known" labels I'd love hear about them. I'm sure a lot of it flew under my radar during a time period when I wasn't keeping up with new releases.

[Too lazy to go through the many pages of this thread, sorry if the post is redundant]
I recommend

Not at all recent, probably oop, doubtful about physical availability but it seems to be on Youtube. More Barraqué than Boulez, but Barraqué's Sonata is  IMO a major work and this performance is far superior to Stefan Litwin's on the (otherwise highly recommendable) cpo Complete Barraqué box.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:34:06 AM by T. D. »