Pierre Boulez (1925-2016)

Started by bhodges, January 17, 2008, 09:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: lescamil on February 27, 2014, 11:08:12 PM
Back on topic, here, have a concert:

http://www.medici.tv/#!/pascal-rophe-pierre-boulez-orchestre-philharmonique-de-radio-france
That concert looks very interesting...I've always been a fan of Le Visage Nuptial, a really sensuous early work that is too seldom performed (and, AFAIK, there's only the Erato recording from the 80's available)...I would expect Aikin and Summers to be very good. :)

Mirror Image

I just wanted to take a minute to comment on the presentation of this box set:

This is an absolutely first-rate job from Deutsche Grammophon. I'm usually not crazy about many of their box sets as they seem to go the 'cheap' route, but this Boulez set is just beautiful. What a booklet! I've seen many thick booklets (esp. w/ opera boxes), but this one was simply beautifully laid out. Extremely well-done. It reminds me of their effort with Webern's Complete Edition minus the thinline jewel cases of course. :)

Now, I'll need to investigate the music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on March 02, 2014, 09:28:07 AM
Didn't you express many times on this board before something to the effect that Boulez's music doesn't do anything for you? And now you've went and bought it all? What for?

Not that I have to justify myself to you, but, as I've stated many many times on GMG before, I like having a large selection of 20th Century music at my disposal at all times. Whether you or any one else sees value in this is not important to me. Plus, I bought it because I wanted it. I don't like everything Webern composed either, but I own it all. So there you have it.

lescamil

It's the completionist's mentality. I have it, too. I probably have hundreds (literally) of CDs that are there just for the sake of having them for reference. I look at my collection as a library, and, should I ever need a reference, I can just go to it.

For the record, I also have that Boulez collection. It is possibly worth getting for the booklet and that's it, since pretty much all of the performances are available on older releases.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Ken B

Quote from: James on March 02, 2014, 09:28:07 AM
Didn't you express many times on this board before something to the effect that Boulez's music doesn't do anything for you? And now you've went and bought it all? What for?
Some of us make up our minds after we hear the music.

Cato

On the road last night, I was able to hear a good chunk of a radio show on Dayton's classical station (WDPG).  The program deals with 20th/21st century music: imagine how amazed I was to hear e.g. Notations by Boulez played and discussed on the radio in America!

The program dealt mainly with Pierre Boulez as composer.

You can listen online (I assume): here is a playlist of past and future programs!

http://www.discoverclassical.org/relevant-tones.htm
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

bhodges

Happy 89th Birthday, Maestro.

Pierre Boulez and Simon Rattle, May 10, 1989 (Los Angeles Philharmonic Archives)

--Bruce

snyprrr

Quote from: Brewski on March 26, 2014, 07:49:34 AM

Pierre Boulez and Simon Rattle, May 10, 1989 (Los Angeles Philharmonic Archives)

--Bruce

oops, and here I was, Is he dead yet? lolz Yea, yea, congratulations on your life- record some more Xenakis! :laugh: or anything...

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on March 26, 2014, 09:58:12 AM
oops, and here I was, Is he dead yet? lolz Yea, yea, congratulations on your life- record some more Xenakis! :laugh: or anything...
Dutilleux!  0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

--Bruce

Has Simon Rattle always had that hair? He has in every picture I've seen, no matter how old.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

snyprrr

Quote from: EigenUser on March 26, 2014, 10:22:11 AM
Has Simon Rattle always had that hair? He has in every picture I've seen, no matter how old.

Jewish??

North Star

--Bruce
Great conductors, not so great hairstylists.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on March 26, 2014, 12:35:18 PM
Great conductors, not so great hairstylists.  8)
Seems to be the rule. I wonder if there's some sort of mentality behind this or if it is just coincidence. I mean, have you seen Gergiev? Yikes!  :o

By the way, I just heard "Derive I" and was thoroughly impressed, especially considering my general dislike of the compositions of Boulez! It sounded fresh and modern, but in a very French way. It didn't sound like total serialism at all. I was hoping that "Derive II" would be similar, but this is sadly not the case. It sounds like an agitated "Gruppen" :( (I only heard the beginning -- it's a very long piece). Any recommendations for works similar to "Derive I"? I figure that "Le Marteau sans Maitre" will come up, but I don't really like songs very much.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

CRCulver

Quote from: EigenUser on March 26, 2014, 07:05:26 PM
By the way, I just heard "Derive I" and was thoroughly impressed, especially considering my general dislike of the compositions of Boulez! It sounded fresh and modern, but in a very French way. It didn't sound like total serialism at all.

Except for a couple of works in the 1950s (performances of which he does not encourage) Boulez has never written total serialism.

As for works you might enjoy, try Répons. There is only one recording, on Deutsche Grammophon.

ritter

Quote from: EigenUser on March 26, 2014, 07:05:26 PM
Any recommendations for works similar to "Derive I"? I figure that "Le Marteau sans Maitre" will come up, but I don't really like songs very much.
I would suggest Mémoriale. This is a hauntingly beautiful (and short  ;) ) piece for solo flute and ensemble. If you like it, then you can move on to "...explosante - fixe..." (in it's recorded version, essentially a flute concerto with live electronics, Mémoriale being an arrangement of the section labelled "Originel").

Also, Messagesquisse for solo cello and 8 cellos can be of interest to you...

If I may suggest, do give Dérive II a second chance. The more I listen to this piece (which I also had the luck of hearing live in concert once), the more I like it. I now tend to believe that it is one of Boulez's most accomplished compositions...

snyprrr

Aren't 'Memoriale' and 'Derive' those little 5 minute works? :P :laugh: Yes,...(titter)... they're wonderful! :'( :laugh:

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on March 27, 2014, 06:34:20 AM
Aren't 'Memoriale' and 'Derive' those little 5 minute works? :P :laugh: Yes,...(titter)... they're wonderful! :'( :laugh:
Try saying that in the Webern thread.  $:)

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: ritter on March 27, 2014, 02:54:37 AM
I would suggest Mémoriale. This is a hauntingly beautiful (and short  ;) ) piece for solo flute and ensemble. If you like it, then you can move on to "...explosante - fixe..." (in it's recorded version, essentially a flute concerto with live electronics, Mémoriale being an arrangement of the section labelled "Originel").

Also, Messagesquisse for solo cello and 8 cellos can be of interest to you...

If I may suggest, do give Dérive II a second chance. The more I listen to this piece (which I also had the luck of hearing live in concert once), the more I like it. I now tend to believe that it is one of Boulez's most accomplished compositions...

Thanks! I will absolutely give "Derive II" another chance. I only heard the beginning and I gave up when it wasn't going where I wanted it to go  ;D . It's odd that I've been taken by a work by Boulez before a work by Schoenberg/Berg/Webern (all of which I still struggle with now).

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 27, 2014, 09:31:23 AM
Thanks! I will absolutely give "Derive II" another chance. I only heard the beginning and I gave up when it wasn't going where I wanted it to go  ;D . It's odd that I've been taken by a work by Boulez before a work by Schoenberg/Berg/Webern (all of which I still struggle with now).
Not that odd. The bergs are often thick and creamy, very Tristan. Boulez has brighter lighter textures in the pieces I have sat through. I'll take him over Webern.