Pierre Boulez (1925-2016)

Started by bhodges, January 17, 2008, 09:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2015, 03:51:05 AM
Well, and that sounds like an extension of Romanticism.

C'est-à-dire: plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Elliott Carter died at the age of 104, and remained active until the end of his life.  in fact the last decade of his life was one of his most prolific.  John Cage also was very prolific in his last decade writing dozens of new works, including some of his very best music. 

However, Pierre Boulez who has been crippled by indecision throughout his career, has essentially been struck mute for years.  His primary active compositional work has been orchestrating the piano miniatures written when he was 20 (Notations).  He has revised his own compositions again and again.  It is almost as if he cannot commit to a conception of a work or there is a poverty of imagination forcing him to keep going back to the same material.

I cannot help but see the sad irony of where he has ended up, silenced by indecision and insecurity.

The man who more than any (and in fact famous for it) who was so dismissive of and who publicly ridiculed other composers and styles and manner of working, has been the composer more than any who has had difficulty finding his own voice.

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on March 27, 2015, 04:33:43 AM
Elliott Carter died at the age of 104, and remained active until the end of his life.  in fact the last decade of his life was one of his most prolific.  John Cage also was very prolific in his last decade writing dozens of new works, including some of his very best music. 

However, Pierre Boulez who has been crippled by indecision throughout his career, has essentially been struck mute for years.  His primary active compositional work has been orchestrating the piano miniatures written when he was 20 (Notations).  He has revised his own compositions again and again.  It is almost as if he cannot commit to a conception of a work or there is a poverty of imagination forcing him to keep going back to the same material.

I cannot help but see the sad irony of where he has ended up, silenced by indecision and insecurity.

The man who more than any (and in fact famous for it) who was so dismissive of and who publicly ridiculed other composers and styles and manner of working, has been the composer more than any who has had difficulty finding his own voice.

A man who was a master of self-promotion, but who created so little work to be promoted.

So sad that he will be remembered more (and arguably, deserves to be remembered more) for his derision than for his compositions.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2015, 02:11:08 AM
He's right. though:  His ferocity was cheap.

"The only way to assert himself," Griffiths says, "was to be against everything else [...]" and there are some who think that's "new," right?

8)

And, not to belabor the point, it is at heart a little comical:

http://www.youtube.com/v/29E6GbYdB1c
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2015, 04:47:28 AM
And, not to belabor the point, it is at heart a little comical:

http://www.youtube.com/v/29E6GbYdB1c

Including his own compositions, some of which he withdrew and others he revised beyond recognition.

San Antone

Still at it

Many have argued that Mr Boulez's conducting career has taken too much from his composing. But Andrew Clements, a British critic, suggests that Mr Boulez's second career came at precisely the right time. "He had composed himself into a cul-de-sac," he explains. "Conducting became his new way of evangelising the 20th-century canon that had nurtured his own music. It has not deprived us of many great works." This is echoed by Alexander Goehr, a composer once strongly influenced by Mr Boulez. "His music is animated by a conception of history which is entirely bogus," says Mr Goehr. "His problems are similar to Mallarmé, who also got stuck trying to 'rewrite the world'. Although the failures of both men are preferable to most people's successes, the loss of intensity with Boulez was inevitable."

Yet Mr Boulez's composing output remains small. Although rumours abound of a future opera based on Beckett's "Waiting for Godot".

How appropriate.

;)

Karl Henning

I think that, whether as a matter of painting himself into a compositional corner, or of having insufficient internal motivation to destroy that corner, burst out of the limitation . . . the conducting was a musical activity to which he could give himself unreservedly.  His composition is a true gift to the musical world, mais un cadeau assez petit;  where his conducting legacy is a major contribution.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2015, 08:51:04 AM
I think that, whether as a matter of painting himself into a compositional corner, or of having insufficient internal motivation to destroy that corner, burst out of the limitation . . . the conducting was a musical activity to which he could give himself unreservedly.  His composition is a true gift to the musical world, mais un cadeau assez petit;  where his conducting legacy is a major contribution.

Agreed. 

I find his interpretation of the French repertory to be always very fine, and I have studied his music quite a lot.  I  admire what he has achieved.  But I am not ignorant of the obvious difficulties he presents as a personality and his view of history I think is wrongheaded.

Robert

Quote from: James on March 26, 2015, 05:02:57 PM
He hasn't conducted in 3 years Robert, he's taking things easy at this point. He's lived a very productive life, and he is 90 years old now.
Thanks for that James. I did not realize that.....BTW I am quite fond of him.....

Robert

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2015, 04:42:00 AM
A man who was a master of self-promotion, but who created so little work to be promoted.

So sad that he will be remembered more (and arguably, deserves to be remembered more) for his derision than for his compositions.

Some stray comments.
1 James is complaining about other people clogging the thread? While posting press releases? I think we need a new square on the Bingo card.

2 Boulez did not revolutionize music. He revolutionized government funding for the arts, to the detriment of the arts but for his own gain. He corrupted it beyond the wildest dreams of a Tamany Hall grafter.

3 Music's Lysenko, a Zhdanov wannabe, and a great conductor walk into a bar. Bartender says "Bonjour Pierre."

Mirror Image

Boulez was a great conductor, but I don't give a twit about his thoughts on music which seem elitist and juvenile.

Abuelo Igor

Furthermore, if we look back a little we see that talented composers and musicians have all through history said dumb stuff that shouldn't be taken seriously, out of envy, personal interests and other motives having little or nothing to do with music. Even if I'm not a member of Pierre's fan club (except for his conducting), I don't think he should be judged by things he said in the 50s.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on March 28, 2015, 02:22:32 AM
Furthermore, if we look back a little we see that talented composers and musicians have all through history said dumb stuff that shouldn't be taken seriously, out of envy, personal interests and other motives having little or nothing to do with music. Even if I'm not a member of Pierre's fan club (except for his conducting), I don't think he should be judged by things he said in the 50s.
Agreed. Contrary to what I read in one of the posted articles I think he mellowed more than just a bit since then, and he has no problem to admit he was wrong in some points. In the 50s IMO he was just an angry young man who was uncertain because of his homosexuality, which was a big taboo back then.   

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2015, 07:35:12 PM
Boulez was a great conductor
Boulez was..? He's still alive.  ;)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on March 28, 2015, 02:22:32 AM

Agreed, here, as well.  However, while it would not be fair to judge him, quite, by stuff from half a century ago, some of those remarks should stand as exceptional examples of a young composer's blinkered arrogance.

Quote from: chadfeldheimer on March 28, 2015, 02:38:45 AM
Agreed. Contrary to what I read in one of the posted articles I think he mellowed more than just a bit since then, and he has no problem to admit he was wrong in some points. In the 50s IMO he was just an angry young man who was uncertain because of his homosexuality, which was a big taboo back then.   

Mellowed only a little, and admission of wrong on only some select few points.  The leopard has not changed his spots by any means.  But call that a minor point.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Copy-and-paste, copy-and-paste, copy-and-paste...

Mirror Image

Quote from: chadfeldheimer on March 28, 2015, 02:40:20 AM
Boulez was..? He's still alive.  ;)

Some conductors continued to work until a very old age, I remember seeing a concert of Gunter Wand conducting Bruckner where he had to be wheeled up to the podium. People age differently, but I think if Boulez could continue to conduct he probably would have, but I think this probability is unlikely now, wouldn't you agree?

NJ Joe

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 27, 2015, 02:54:47 AM
I'm a little late with the birthday celebration, but I searched for what was my first introduction to Pierre Boulez. It was a 1992 televised concert commemorating the 150th anniversary of the NY Phil, I believe it aired on the New York PBS station when I was living in Jersey. It was also my introduction to Le Mer. I recorded it on VHS back then and must have watched it 30 times. I'm really thrilled to have located it.
The concert also featured a conductor-less Candide Ovt, Strauss' Till Eulenspiegel with Mehta and Dvorak's New World Symphony with Masur.

https://www.youtube.com/v/5XVHLO9k3HI

Very enjoyable, thanks for posting. A great introduction to both Boulez and La Mer.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2015, 06:01:25 AM
Some conductors continued to work until a very old age, I remember seeing a concert of Gunter Wand conducting Bruckner where he had to be wheeled up to the podium. People age differently, but I think if Boulez could continue to conduct he probably would have, but I think this probability is unlikely now, wouldn't you agree?
Agreed. Still I would use the present when writing, talking about him. Just a matter of taste and no big deal, therefore the " ;)".