Gina Bachauer: Hunarian Rhapsody (#12)

Started by Steve, April 23, 2007, 05:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

This is one of my favourite pieces for the solo piano (Liszt's 12th Rhapsody). I particularily loved an old LP of my father's with Gina Bachauer. Here's the closest to the recording that I could find- but it only contains the 12th. Is anyone familiar with these recordings? Perhaps I could be directed to a collection of the complete rhapsodies with this pianist. Always appreciated.

George

Steve

Thanks, George. I knew that tracking this down wasn't going to be easy after most of my sellers responded to my inquiries with blank faces. I am not sure if she recorded the Complete Rhapsodies, or not, so it may very well be that it is only possible to buy her rendition of the 12th, which as remarkable as it is, would certainly leave me hungry for more.  :) I will continue with my search, but at the very least, I will be adding this item to my amazon shopping cart soon, before this secondary seller has time to make soneone else's day. I hope to be able to track down more information about the particular recording that I heard, but if not, these will have to do.

George

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2007, 02:45:13 PM
Thanks, George. I knew that tracking this down wasn't going to be easy after most of my sellers responded to my inquiries with blank faces. I am not sure if she recorded the Complete Rhapsodies, or not, so it may very well be that it is only possible to buy her rendition of the 12th, which as remarkable as it is, would certainly leave me hungry for more.  :) I will continue with my search, but at the very least, I will be adding this item to my amazon shopping cart soon, before this secondary seller has time to make soneone else's day. I hope to be able to track down more information about the particular recording that I heard, but if not, these will have to do.

I saw an album on ebay with more than a few Rhapsodies, I believe.

Steve

After perusing the pages of ebay, I believe I found the recording that you were referring to, but alas, it is not a complete set of the rhapsodies. Perhaps, I should begin anew, a thread on lesser-known Liszt Rhapsody Cycles.

Thanks, George, for your help.  ;)

George

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2007, 06:10:57 PM
After perusing the pages of ebay, I believe I found the recording that you were referring to, but alas, it is not a complete set of the rhapsodies. Perhaps, I should begin anew, a thread on lesser-known Liszt Rhapsody Cycles.

My pleasure Steve.

I have a great two CD set of Hungarian Rhapsodies by 19 Great Pianists including; Moiseiwitsch, Wild, Cherkassky, Novaes, Cortot, Bolet, Arrau, Solomon, Cziffra, Richter and more!

Also, I have and love Szidon's set on DG.

George

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2007, 06:10:57 PM

My pleasure Steve.  :)

I have a great two CD set of Hungarian Rhapsodies by 19 Great Pianists including; Moiseiwitsch, Wild, Cherkassky, Novaes, Cortot, Bolet, Arrau, Solomon, Cziffra, Richter and more!

Steve

Quote from: George on April 24, 2007, 06:22:38 PM

My pleasure Steve.  :)

19 different pianists! Now that would be interesting.
I was directed to Cziffra by a good friend. Didn't he record all 19? Have you heard that set?

George

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2007, 06:30:37 PM

19 different pianists! Now that would be interesting.
I was directed to Cziffra by a good friend. Didn't he record all 19? Have you heard that set?

I have, but only once. It comes highly recommended, especially as part of This deal of the century set.

Steve

And at that price, I can easily afford another  ;D Perhaps, I'll have a look at the Szidon. How would you describe those performances? I still haven't decided how I prefer for these pieces to sound.

George

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2007, 06:50:58 PM
And at that price, I can easily afford another  ;D Perhaps, I'll have a look at the Szidon. How would you describe those performances? I still haven't decided how I prefer for these pieces to sound.

The Szidon is less intense (though certainly not boring or weak) and more refined, in better sound. I have days when I want to hear them either way, and yes that 5CD box is a steal! Cziffra's Transcendental Etudes have to be heard to be believed!

I suggest checking out the sound samples of each, but I don't think you want to be without the Cziffra. He is to Liszt what Gould was to Bach and Rubinstein was to Chopin. 

Steve

Quote from: George on April 24, 2007, 06:57:05 PM
The Szidon is less intense (though certainly not boring or weak) and more refined, in better sound. I have days when I want to hear them either way, and yes that 5CD box is a steal! Cziffra's Transcendental Etudes have to be heard to be believed!

I suggest checking out the sound samples of each, but I don't think you want to be without the Cziffra. He is to Liszt what Gould was to Bach and Rubinstein was to Chopin. 

Thanks for the advice, George. Thankfully Amazon has audio samples of the Cziffra, and I was impressed with what I heard! Perhaps a poorer sound, but the playing is fantastic. With the price of this set so low, I am probably just going to add both to my collection.

Still wish that Bachauer had recorded all 19...