Schubert Piano Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 04:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

You might consider both Budget boxes.
Endres being my favourite, I have Schiff also, but that set does not work for me....

MN Dave

Quote from: Harry on January 23, 2008, 06:43:06 AM
Endres being my favourite, I have Schiff also, but that set does not work for me....

How do those compare to Kempff, Harry?

Harry

Quote from: MN Dave on January 23, 2008, 06:47:05 AM

The Endres is more authentic in feel, and not romanticized. Dalberto is more of a earthy player grounded in the ways of old.
Compared to Kempff, Endres can hold its ground, Dalberto is from quite a different planet.
But whatever you will buy, Kempff must be part of the deal.
His poetical, and fine snared approach is incomparable.

MN Dave

Quote from: Harry on January 23, 2008, 06:53:12 AM
The Endres is more authentic in feel, and not romanticized. Dalberto is more of a earthy player grounded in the ways of old.
Compared to Kempff, Endres can hold its ground, Dalberto is from quite a different planet.
But whatever you will buy, Kempff must be part of the deal.
His poetical, and fine snared approach is incomparable.

Thanks for the comparison. I already have the Kempff. :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MN Dave on January 23, 2008, 06:47:05 AM

Thanks, Harry. I hadn't known about the Endres and Dalberto sets. Here are a few choice snippets from Gramophone reviews of Endres:

'' 'I cannot endure the accursed chopping in which even distinguished pianoforte players indulge and which delights neither the ear nor the mind.' Thus, Schubert wrote in a letter to his parents on July 25th, 1825. It is, therefore, no surprise to learn from the notes for this new issue that Michael Endres has won, among other prestigious awards, both the first prize and the special prize at the International Schubert Competition. He plays with such sensitivity and poetry that one feels convinced his is the kind of lyrical, expressive playing of which Schubert himself would have wholeheartedly approved."

"If there is a serious criticism of Endres's playing here, it is that it sometimes sounds too reserved, softening the music's more overtly dramatic moments. Take the outer movements of the A minor Sonata, where he seems to hold back at times. Nevertheless, like Schiff and Brendel, Endres vividly conjures the Relique Sonata's orchestral qualities, both in terms of texture and of large-scale form (although Brendel omits the first movement's exposition repeat). Schiff exploits the Bosendorfer's silvery sound to produce some ethereal effects."

"Endres's subtle, elegant performance has some beautiful moments; few can fail to be touched by playing of such refined sensitivity. However, just occasionally, I would like a little more fire."

Overall this seems like a worthy set, especially now that Schiff has gone missing.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Harry on January 23, 2008, 06:43:06 AM
Endres being my favourite

I just saw the price at JPC  ;D :D ;D  ...a no-brainer then. Just ordered it.  Thanks, Harry 8)

Sarge

Harry

Quote from: MN Dave on January 23, 2008, 07:01:55 AM
How about this one?

The Wurtz is a highly enjoyable proposition. I thought it was out of print.
I order it ASAP.
You have done me a favour my friend. :)

Harry

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 23, 2008, 07:12:57 AM
I just saw the price at JPC  ;D :D ;D  ...a no-brainer then. Just ordered it.  Thanks, Harry 8)

Sarge

You might consider the other box with Schubert works from Endres too Sarge. I have that too, and its gorgeous as well.
Plus sound from both sets is excellent.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Harry on January 23, 2008, 07:16:31 AM
You might consider the other box with Schubert works from Endres too Sarge. I have that too, and its gorgeous as well.
Plus sound from both sets is excellent.

Done. Thanks.

Sarge

MN Dave

Quote from: Harry on January 23, 2008, 07:13:59 AM
The Wurtz is a highly enjoyable proposition. I thought it was out of print.
I order it ASAP.
You have done me a favour my friend. :)

Glad I could help. :)

Sean

I bought the Kempff set a few months back to swat down a few sonatas I didn't know. The set omits a couple (including the one minute fragment D994), but this cycle is gets a bit confusing- see the Grove listing. Despite his Germanic charmless dispatch and ruthlessness Kempff plays with a smile on his face, quite paradoxical, and can at the same time find an indulgence that justifies itself. This is a key document for the Schubert sonatas and I've returned to it many times.

Tyson

My favorite set is the Walter Klein performances available on Vox. 
At a loss for words.

Bogey

Been listening to Schubert here and there over the past few days and was wondering what specific recordings that you own that you enjoy, especially outside of his 8th Symphony. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brian

Bit of good news-bad news here; the bad news is that I only have three Schubert recordings, but the good news is that I enjoy all of them. In the listening thread I mentioned Jeno Jando's piano disc with the A major sonata and Wanderer Fantasy; while Jando's trademark humming is at its loudest and most off-key throughout, the playing itself is quite lyrically appealing. Even better is an SACD hybrid from Channel Classics with Dejan Lazic playing the great B flat sonata D. 960; the recording is beautifully engineered and it's a rare thing indeed which surpasses the beauty of those first thirty seconds.  0:)  I always close my eyes and see snow gently falling ...

My third Schubert album is Harnoncourt's complete symphonies. A top pick for sure.  8) Will be watching this thread closely for recommendations - the rest of the sonatas are beckoning!

Dancing Divertimentian

Piano sonatas: Andsnes, Richter, Katchen, Lewis, Gilels

Piano trios: Beaux Arts, Golub/Kaplan/Carr trio, La Gaia Scienza (HIP)

String quartets: Takács, Leipzig

String quintet: Quatuor Sine Nomine, Hagen, Hollywood

Lieder: Goerne, Holzmair, Prégardien, Von Otter

Ninth Symphony: Bernstein/Concertgebouw

And for the octet, these two gems:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

FideLeo

What excitement!  What intensity!  ;)

FL
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

The best recording that I have heard of this original 1835 instrument by Trondlin, which was rediscovered by Immerseel himself in a nearly perfect condition and is a superb example of
Viennese fortepiano making of the time. 

Interpretation: deeply lyrical and suitably sentimental

FL
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Exemplifies Staier's versatility as a Lieder accompanist.  And Pregardien's ideal lyric tenor voice!  The frontrunner among all recordings of this song cycle with fortepiano as far as I am concerned. 

FL

Harry

That would be the excellent sets of piano music played by Michael Endres, and the Symphonies played by ASMF conducted by Marinner.
SQ by the Leipziger Streich Quartet, Melos Quartet, Endellion Quartet, the trios by the Stuttgart Piano Trio, and a lot more recordings of his chambermusic, and part songs for males. :)