Schubert Piano Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 04:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Holden on April 08, 2007, 03:14:46 PM
If asked, once again, to choose between Schnabel and Richter, once again Schnabel would win out. I have all the Schnabel Schubert recordings including a superb 'Trout' with the Pro Arte Qtt. There is something magical about Schnabel's Schubert which I find hard to describe and I see him as the true champion of Schubert's piano works which is fitting when you consider that he was the first major pianist to really promote them. There is nothing flashy or spectacular about his playing but it's like Rubinstein or Moravec in the Chopin Nocturnes. From hearing the first few bars you know you are listening to something special but you can't work out why. Maybe it's the simplicity of approach - I don't know - but I'm suggesting George that you go to your local library to see whether they have the Schnabel Schubert.

Thanks for this. That's a great idea.  :)

rubio

Quote from: Holden on April 08, 2007, 03:14:46 PM
If asked, once again, to choose between Schnabel and Richter, once again Schnabel would win out. I have all the Schnabel Schubert recordings including a superb 'Trout' with the Pro Arte Qtt. There is something magical about Schnabel's Schubert which I find hard to describe and I see him as the true champion of Schubert's piano works which is fitting when you consider that he was the first major pianist to really promote them. There is nothing flashy or spectacular about his playing but it's like Rubinstein or Moravec in the Chopin Nocturnes. From hearing the first few bars you know you are listening to something special but you can't work out why. Maybe it's the simplicity of approach - I don't know - but I'm suggesting George that you go to your local library to see whether they have the Schnabel Schubert.

I need Schnabel's D960 + some of his other Schubert  :). Do you have the Pearl transfer?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

rubio

Quote from: George on April 08, 2007, 05:50:11 AM
If you can find the D 850 on Praga, grab it! It's Richter's only recording of that work and it's incredible!

It seems like also a studio recording exists of Richter's D850 on Melodiya. A bit pricey though.

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Sonata-D-845-D-850-Franz/dp/B000001HCR/ref=sr_1_1/103-6086389-5715826?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176114533&sr=1-1

George

Quote from: rubio on April 09, 2007, 02:37:15 AM
It seems like also a studio recording exists of Richter's D850 on Melodiya. A bit pricey though.

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Sonata-D-845-D-850-Franz/dp/B000001HCR/ref=sr_1_1/103-6086389-5715826?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176114533&sr=1-1

That's right! He recorded it twice. I've heard the Praga/Music and Arts performance from the same year is better though.

Russian DVD.com may have the Melodiya cheaper. I got a Melodiya Richter disc from them late last year for regular price.   

George

Quote from: aquariuswb on April 07, 2007, 07:46:11 AM
I have also had an eye on Schnabel's Schubert, but have not yet made the plunge. If and when you do, let us know how it is.

Got this today:

After listening through the first set of Impromptus, I must say I find it at least a bit too fast and especially too unrefined for my taste. I can say that the last two of D 935 were exceptions to this, epecially the superb B flat Impromptu, which was flawless. Otherwise, the qualities of Schnabel's playing that worked so well in his Beethoven just didn't speak to me in his Schubert. I only wish that more of that profoundity that he found in the LvB slow movements were present here. He had many of what would later be Richter's qualities, minus the slower, solemn tempi. Its obviously a question of liking his interpretation, for he certainly could have played these more expansively if he had so chosen. If you like your Schubert with less sniffing of the flowers and more muscle and rawness, then this is the set for you. Unfortunately, the EMI remaster is poor as usual. In fact this will be my last EMI purchase of a Historical recording, assuming there exists an alternative. Its just not worth the money saved IMO. There's way too much strange noise for a 1950 performance IMO. They cut much of the upper frequency out as well. I had read that this was the best transfer of these performances. If it is, its a damn shame. However, I doubt that MOT on M&A didn't do a much better job, but I wasn't prepered to shell out the $60 for the set. Having heard these performances, I won't be getting any more of Schnabel's Schubert.   

Bogey

Quote from: George on April 09, 2007, 05:06:12 PM
Got this today:

After listening through the first set of Impromptus, I must say I find it at least a bit too fast and especially too unrefined for my taste. The qualities of Schnabel's playing that worked so well in his Beethoven just didn't speak to me in his Schubert. I only wish that more of that profoundity that he found in the LvB slow movements were present here. He had many of what would later be Richter's qualities, minus the slower, solemn tempi. Its obviously a question of liking his interpretation, for he certainly could have played these more expansively if he had so chosen. If you like your Schubert with less sniffing of the flowers and more muscle and rawness, then this is the set for you. Unfortunately, the EMI remaster is poor as usual. In fact this will be my last EMI purchase of a Historical recording, assuming there exists an alternative. Its just not worth the money saved IMO. There's way too much strange noise for a 1950 performance IMO. They cut much of the upper frequency out as well. I had read that this was the best transfer of these performances. If it is, its a damn shame. However, I doubt that MOT on M&A didn't do a much better job, but I wasn't prepered to shell out the $60 for the set. Having heard these performances, I won't be getting any more of Schnabel's Schubert.   

This just may be your best written review to date George.  Well done.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bill on April 09, 2007, 05:56:45 PM
This just may be your best written review to date George.  Well done.

I appreciate that, Bill. Thanks! BTW, are you going to get it? Retail is $6.99.... :-\

Bogey

Quote from: George on April 09, 2007, 05:59:38 PM
I appreciate that, Bill. Thanks! BTW, are you going to get it? Retail is $6.99.... :-\

After your scathing review....not a chance.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bill on April 09, 2007, 06:08:57 PM
After your scathing review....not a chance.

I actually just edited it to say that I enjoyed two of the Impromptus, especially the B flat. But yeah, overall, I don't recommend it for those who don't like their Schubert as described above. I very much look forward to getting Edwin Fischer's recordings of these works. I've ordered the Pearl and the Testament from two separate stores. 

SimonGodders

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 08, 2007, 04:05:08 AM
and the D.960 again on BBC Legends - can't make up my mind if that one, the Regis or the Brilliant D.960 is my favourite, so go for all three!

Been listening to all three today and think I'ld rank them in this order:

1. Regis
2. BBC Legends
3. Brilliant

They're all excellent, but feel the Regis has a greater sense of depth and pathos than the other two, so would recommend that as a first choice
:)

SimonGodders

Quote from: George on April 09, 2007, 05:06:12 PM
Got this today:

After listening through the first set of Impromptus, I must say I find it at least a bit too fast and especially too unrefined for my taste. I can say that the last two of D 935 were exceptions to this, epecially the superb B flat Impromptu, which was flawless. Otherwise, the qualities of Schnabel's playing that worked so well in his Beethoven just didn't speak to me in his Schubert. I only wish that more of that profoundity that he found in the LvB slow movements were present here. He had many of what would later be Richter's qualities, minus the slower, solemn tempi. Its obviously a question of liking his interpretation, for he certainly could have played these more expansively if he had so chosen. If you like your Schubert with less sniffing of the flowers and more muscle and rawness, then this is the set for you. Unfortunately, the EMI remaster is poor as usual. In fact this will be my last EMI purchase of a Historical recording, assuming there exists an alternative. Its just not worth the money saved IMO. There's way too much strange noise for a 1950 performance IMO. They cut much of the upper frequency out as well. I had read that this was the best transfer of these performances. If it is, its a damn shame. However, I doubt that MOT on M&A didn't do a much better job, but I wasn't prepered to shell out the $60 for the set. Having heard these performances, I won't be getting any more of Schnabel's Schubert.   

I had this CD and was so pissed at the crap remastering, I got rid of it almost immediately. Really flat,dull and lifeless - and they own the original!
???

Florestan

During the Adagio, time seems suspended as the soul floats in the space, rising to Heavens. Absolutely magnificent performance! Highly recommended.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Don

Acquired within the past two weeks:

Schubert Piano Trios:
Atlantis Ensemble/Winter and Winter
Eisenstadt Haydn Trio/Capriccio (SACD)
Storioni Trio Amsterdam/PentaTone (SACD)
Braley and Two Capucons/Virgin Classics

Great additions to the Rubinstein, Casals and Beaux Arts recordings I already have.

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 15, 2007, 10:39:20 AM
I had this CD and was so pissed at the crap remastering, I got rid of it almost immediately. Really flat,dull and lifeless - and they own the original!
???

Yeah, some say that they have improved in their transfers, but not nearly enough IMO. That CD was mastered only two years ago. No excuse for their poor work!  >:(

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 15, 2007, 10:36:16 AM
Been listening to all three today and think I'ld rank them in this order:

1. Regis
2. BBC Legends
3. Brilliant

They're all excellent, but feel the Regis has a greater sense of depth and pathos than the other two, so would recommend that as a first choice
:)

Indeed.

I like his D 894 (Brilliant) better than all of his Schubert. Pure heaven!  :D

Robert

George

Quote from: Robert on April 15, 2007, 01:01:45 PM
I got the complete set at the library......burned it.....

Wow!  :o

I thought my library was stocked...

Robert

Quote from: George on April 15, 2007, 01:02:55 PM
Wow!  :o

I thought my library was stocked...

Not so, very spotty....I wish it were better stocked......I was lucky with the Richter, plus they have the complete Bernstein DG Mahler......but I only needed a couple there.....

rubio

Quote from: Florestan on April 15, 2007, 12:08:38 PM

During the Adagio, time seems suspended as the soul floats in the space, rising to Heavens. Absolutely magnificent performance! Highly recommended.

Has anyone had the chance to compare this Melos Quartet/Rostropovich recording to the version I have - Casals, Stern+.

mahlertitan

haha