Author Topic: Schubert Piano Recordings  (Read 106377 times)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: Schubert Piano Recordings
« Reply #440 on: April 20, 2021, 01:39:26 AM »
Well symphonyshare ain't working so I'll scratch that option off the list...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #441 on: April 20, 2021, 02:37:59 AM »
I see Badura-Skoda's PI set are to be reissued.

Going by the success of his Beethoven cycle it ought to be interesting.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #442 on: April 20, 2021, 04:19:53 AM »
I see Badura-Skoda's PI set are to be reissued.

Going by the success of his Beethoven cycle it ought to be interesting.

Personally I think his Beethoven is more successful. His Schubert cycle features a number of interesting fortepianos, of which some seem unfortunately not properly restored. In addition his approach seems willful, or perhaps too "literal", with rather eccentric choices in tempi and accents and abrupt transitions. It feels like a ride on a roller coaster in a rickety cart.... ::) Tiring on the ear and mind.

Try before you buy!  :)
Or just stick with Jan Vermeulen (complete cycle on EtCetera and a great incomplete cycle on Vanguard (on a Tröndlin)), Andreas Staier and Alexei Lubimov.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:17:23 AM by Que »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #443 on: April 20, 2021, 05:36:13 AM »
Jan Vermeulen (complete cycle on Etcetera

That's a great cycle. That Nannette Streicher 1826 fortepiano is something else.

Warmly recommended.

(And I'm not even a HIPster.)
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #444 on: April 20, 2021, 06:49:24 AM »
Yes that’s correct, the 1990s EMI recordings (including the semi complete set I recommended) are not available on streaming services as far as I can tell, even unusually with none of them appearing as individual bleeding chunks in “Best of Schubert” compilations. The same is true of much of the Dalberto set (some services have more than others, Tidal seems to have the most volumes at the moment). I suspect attempting to upload the recordings to youtube or a similar website would result in an automatic copyright block from Warner Music (or whoever owns Denon now) but which has also not made available any options to purchase the physical CDs except from second hand retailers.

For options for trying things out online you can either wait upon the generosity of streaming services (noted for paying $0.0007 per listen per track to artists, or something like that), or for Warner Classics to reissue the EMI recordings in however many years they decide to do that, or alternately visit a file sharing website such as symphonyshare etc.

The blue & white set of the 1990s set is listed on AmazonUS MP for $20.88 (vendor: Rarewaves), so it may not be OOP in Warner's eyes. Of course Warner probably neither knows nor cares that Amazon hates Australia.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online hvbias

« Reply #445 on: April 22, 2021, 01:14:55 PM »
Personally I think his Beethoven is more successful. His Schubert cycle features a number of interesting fortepianos, of which some seem unfortunately not properly restored. In addition his approach seems willful, or perhaps too "literal", with rather eccentric choices in tempi and accents and abrupt transitions. It feels like a ride on a roller coaster in a rickety cart.... ::) Tiring on the ear and mind.

Try before you buy!  :)
Or just stick with Jan Vermeulen (complete cycle on EtCetera and a great incomplete cycle on Vanguard (on a Tröndlin)), Andreas Staier and Alexei Lubimov.

Of all of PBS fortepiano recordings of Schubert the ones I find the best are the Impromtus, IMHO still unmatched by any other fortepiano performance.

I agree with you on the piano sonatas, I prefer his RCA recordings to the fortepiano ones. When the RCA box came out I did some blind testing with the early and mid sonatas (not the incomplete sonatas he chose to complete) against Kempff and aside from knowing Kempff's playing/interpretations ruling it out being a fair blind comparison, PBS still did exceptionally well.

(And I'm not even a HIPster.)

I have to make sure I'm wearing my HIPster hat when I'm on GMG, *tips fedora*