Schubert Piano Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 04:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Like we did with Chopin, I thought we could do with Schubert (and perhaps all composers, to keep things simple)

First off: I'd like to find out about transfers of Edwin Fischer's and Schnabel's Schubert recordings. I know the performances are excellent, so I need not ask about that.

For Fischer: which release is preferable? Pearl, Testament, APR, other?

For Schnabel: Music and Arts? I saw this set today, but its a big investment IMO. How is it? Also, how's Pearl's? I've read that the EMI Impromptus are done well, but that would mean duplication if I got the M&A set later.

Decisions, Decisions.  :-\

aquablob

I have also had an eye on Schnabel's Schubert, but have not yet made the plunge. If and when you do, let us know how it is.

I have a fair number of recordings by Lupu, Brendel, Pollini, and Richter and am quite satisfied for the time being -- but Schnabel may be up next.

(OT: P.S. Did you listen to the Leon Fleischer(sp?) disc you picked up a while back?)

George

Quote from: aquariuswb on April 07, 2007, 07:46:11 AM
I have also had an eye on Schnabel's Schubert, but have not yet made the plunge. If and when you do, let us know how it is.

I have a fair number of recordings by Lupu, Brendel, Pollini, and Richter and am quite satisfied for the time being -- but Schnabel may be up next.

(OT: P.S. Did you listen to the Leon Fleischer(sp?) disc you picked up a while back?)

I haven't. I'll let you know, though.  :)

I got Lupu's Impromptus today. Can't wait to pop that one in.  :)

Bunny

Quote from: George on April 07, 2007, 01:19:13 PM
I haven't. I'll let you know, though.  :)

I got Lupu's Impromptus today. Can't wait to pop that one in.  :)

Lupu's Schubert is excellent!  I have those impromptus and enjoy them very much.

George

Quote from: Bunny on April 07, 2007, 06:45:42 PM
Lupu's Schubert is excellent!  I have those impromptus and enjoy them very much.

Yes, I am listening to it now.  :)

Its a gorgeously inward, refined take. I am very glad I got it. How's his Decca Schubert sonata set?

I also can't wait for the Edwin Fischer CD of Impromptus (Testament) that I ordered from a local store to arrive. They said 4-6 weeks  ::).

Then, I'll move onto the complete Schnabel set on M&A. Holden recommended that one awhile ago but I never seem to have $55 all at once. I'd rather buy 6-7 cd's instead.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on April 07, 2007, 07:54:29 PM
How's his Decca Schubert sonata set?

I have most of this set (save for the D.959) in prior releases. Can't say as I've ever been let down.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

aquablob

Quote from: George on April 07, 2007, 07:54:29 PM
Yes, I am listening to it now.  :)

Its a gorgeously inward, refined take. I am very glad I got it. How's his Decca Schubert sonata set?

I have his D. 960, D. 894, and D. 664 -- all are superb. I may very well get the whole set at some point.

George

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I still love my Richter Schubert above all others, but may want another take at some point.

I have Klien's sonatas and a nice live 2CD set of Brendel too.

SimonGodders

I do have the Schnabel set on M & A, but hasn't really done much for me yet. To be honest, (and I know you like your Richter!) I don't really look beyond Richter in Schubert, it's the pinnacle for me, no other artist even begins to approach the Plateau that Richter resides. I also have the Lupu/Decca set and it's very good, excellent in places, but always seem to reach first for Richter...

Have a smattering of other performances: Pollini twofer on DG, Afanassiev's D.960 on ECM (would heartily recommend this to other Richterphiles, cracking), some Sokolov and Leonskaja performances. I think at present, Schnabel works much more for me in the Beethoven sonatas which I love, but will certainly give the M & A set some more listening time as I know it's heartily recommended by some, particularly over at RMCR.
:)

rubio

Which Richter Schubert discs would you highly recommend?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

SimonGodders

Quote from: rubio on April 08, 2007, 02:38:11 AM
Which Richter Schubert discs would you highly recommend?

All the Regis CD's (3 in total), The Brilliant box with Beethoven and Schubert, D.840 on Philips (available as a twofer with Winterreise), Fantasy D.940/variations D.813/Grand Duo (with B. Britten) on Decca/BBC and the D.960 again on BBC Legends - can't make up my mind if that one, the Regis or the Brilliant D.960 is my favourite, so go for all three!

There's other bits out there - some Schubert on the DG In Memoriam and some on the Richter in Recital '58 CD on Philips with the famous Mussorgsky 'Pictures'. Anyone else have some other sugestions?

AnthonyAthletic

Barring the Warhorses, this is a truly remarkable set of Schubert sonatas.

Michael Endres, plays with such passion and directness he sometimes makes me forget about Kempff, Uchida, Bendel, Perahia, Lewis & co.

A set not to be missed IMHO  ;D  Bargain price too, £1 or so per disc, surely you should fill your boots  ;)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 08, 2007, 04:05:08 AM
All the Regis CD's (3 in total), The Brilliant box with Beethoven and Schubert, D.840 on Philips (available as a twofer with Winterreise), Fantasy D.940/variations D.813/Grand Duo (with B. Britten) on Decca/BBC and the D.960 again on BBC Legends - can't make up my mind if that one, the Regis or the Brilliant D.960 is my favourite, so go for all three!

There's other bits out there - some Schubert on the DG In Memoriam and some on the Richter in Recital '58 CD on Philips with the famous Mussorgsky 'Pictures'. Anyone else have some other sugestions?

Well, you almost said it all.  :)

If you can find the D 850 on Praga, grab it! It's Richter's only recording of that work and it's incredible!

Also, there's some Schubert on the Philips "Authorized Edition" this is also rare, but worth seeking out for its excellent sonics.

There's the all Schubert BBC disc with some great live performances of three Sonatas and two Moments Musicaux.

For D 845, Urania has his mono 1956 performance coupled with a great Schumann Fantasiestucke. The CD is marked D 850, but its D 845 inside.

There are some others, (check Trovar.com) but most are only on LP or way OOP.

If you are wondering where to start, I'd say the Brilliant Box as its cheap so if you don't like his Schubert, you still have his Beethoven and Liszt performances. The Regis discs that Simon mentioned are the cheapest and most available ways to check out his Schubert. If you like one, you'll want to have them all. Enjoy and let us know your thoughts.  :)

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 08, 2007, 12:24:21 AM
I do have the Schnabel set on M & A, but hasn't really done much for me yet.

You may have just saved me some money, thanks!  :) I think I will instead sample his Impromptus on the EMI Historical label first.

To be honest, (and I know you like your Richter!) I don't really look beyond Richter in Schubert, it's the pinnacle for me, no other artist even begins to approach the Plateau that Richter resides.

Indeed!

I also have the Lupu/Decca set and it's very good, excellent in places, but always seem to reach first for Richter...

Yes, I heard his Impromptus last night and I heard some places that sounded very much like Richter, but Lupu fails to bring full intensity along with his great poetic beauty. Its a shame, but certainly a superb alternate take.

Have a smattering of other performances: Pollini twofer on DG, Afanassiev's D.960 on ECM (would heartily recommend this to other Richterphiles, cracking), some Sokolov and Leonskaja performances. I think at present, Schnabel works much more for me in the Beethoven sonatas which I love, but will certainly give the M & A set some more listening time as I know it's heartily recommended by some, particularly over at RMCR.
:)

Yes, I have read that over there. Some members here also love it and my favorite guidebook puts only Edwin Fischer ahead of him.

rubio

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 08, 2007, 04:05:08 AM

Has anybody had the chance to compare Richter's D960 with the highly critically acclaimed D960 by Kovacevich (Hyperion - very much OOP) or Schnabel (Pearl)?

Haffner

This is refreshingly different in its sometimes scathing approach, but I tend to favor the Takacs recording of this work above others.

mahlertitan

Bruno Walter's recording of Schubert's 5,8th symphonies is great.

rubio

I start my getting into Richter's Schubert project by ordering the Brilliant Classics box set + the 3 Regis CD's as they're cheap!  :)

George

Quote from: rubio on April 08, 2007, 01:24:50 PM
I start my getting into Richter's Schubert project by ordering the Brilliant Classics box set + the 3 Regis CD's as they're cheap!  :)

Boy are you in for a treat!  :D

I spent much of the day listening to Boehm and the BPO play the Schubert symphonies.  :)

Holden

Quote from: rubio on April 08, 2007, 10:11:49 AM
Has anybody had the chance to compare Richter's D960 with the highly critically acclaimed D960 by Kovacevich (Hyperion - very much OOP) or Schnabel (Pearl)?

Yes, I have all two of those plus the EMI Kovacevich. There is very little difference between that and the Hyperion which is what stopped me from buying it.

The first thing to realise is that Richter's recording stands alone comparatively because of the way the first movement is played so we are then down to a comparison of Schnabel and Kovacevich. I have both because of the mono/stereo difference but if I was asked to keep only one it would be the Schnabel. While the SK is exceptional, Schnabel goes deeper into the music and the telling movement is the adagio sostenuto where Schnabel really draws out the tragic elements in this music. His timing and pacing is flawless as it is throughout the whole of the sonata whereas Kovacevich is variable in places.

If asked, once again, to choose between Schnabel and Richter, once again Schnabel would win out. I have all the Schnabel Schubert recordings including a superb 'Trout' with the Pro Arte Qtt. There is something magical about Schnabel's Schubert which I find hard to describe and I see him as the true champion of Schubert's piano works which is fitting when you consider that he was the first major pianist to really promote them. There is nothing flashy or spectacular about his playing but it's like Rubinstein or Moravec in the Chopin Nocturnes. From hearing the first few bars you know you are listening to something special but you can't work out why. Maybe it's the simplicity of approach - I don't know - but I'm suggesting George that you go to your local library to see whether they have the Schnabel Schubert.
Cheers

Holden