Schubert Piano Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 04:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poetdante

George. You asked about this album.

Schubert's Impromptu is so often played too melancholy, or with an exaggerated rubato.
Though I heard just one time, this was not so impressive.

Schubert - Piano Trios, Arpegione Sonata, Notturna
Piano: Andras Schiff
Cello: Miklos Perenyi
Violin: Yuuko Shiokawa

This is one of my recommending for the fans of Schubert.  :)
Chopin, forever.

George

Quote from: Poetdante on April 16, 2007, 06:59:14 PM
George. I remember you asked about this album.

Schubert's Impromptu is so often played too melancholy, or with an exaggerated rubato.

Thanks for that. So I guessing she plays them too melancholy and/or exaggerated rubato?

Now I must ask who you do like in these works?

Poetdante

Quote from: George on April 16, 2007, 07:04:50 PM
Thanks for that. So I guessing she plays them too melancholy and/or exaggerated rubato?

Now I must ask who you do like in these works?

Because I didn't hear this album a lot of times, it is hard to tell you this is too melancholy.
What I meant was just that it was not impressive at first listening.

Zimerman's playing was like his 'Chopin-Ballade' album. I think these pieces need a different interpretation.
Despite I have not heard some albums fully, but 'my favorite' has not appeared yet.
I want to hear Kempff's.  :)

Anyway, the album cover is beautiful, isn't it??
Chopin, forever.

George

Quote from: Poetdante on April 17, 2007, 04:36:46 AM
Because I didn't hear this album a lot of times, it is hard to tell you this is too melancholy.
What I meant was just that it was not impressive at first listening.

Gotcha.  :)

Zimerman's playing was like his 'Chopin-Ballade' album. I think these pieces need a different interpretation.

Indeed, I did not like his Impromptus one bit.

Despite I have not heard some albums fully, but 'my favorite' has not appeared yet.

Me neither.

I want to hear Kempff's.  :)

I kind of want to too, yet others have warned that he may not have the technical prowess to really pull these off, while still others say he's good, but not great.  :-\

Anyway, the album cover is beautiful, isn't it??

;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Poetdante on April 17, 2007, 04:36:46 AM
I think these pieces need a different interpretation. Despite I have not heard some albums fully, but 'my favorite' has not appeared yet.

You might want to try this one then; nothing exaggerated, just pure Schubert:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 08, 2007, 12:24:21 AM
Have a smattering of other performances...Afanassiev's D.960 on ECM (would heartily recommend this to other Richterphiles, cracking)

Nice to see somone else who appreciates this performance:

One of my favorite Schubert piano discs is Lilya Zilberstein's D.850 coupled with an unusual and haunting version of the Liszt transcription of Gretchen am Spinnrade. Like her expression on the cover, this is some serious Schubert playing.

The song usually comes in around the three and half minute mark. Zilberstein takes twice as long, completely changing its character, making the music more Liszt than Schubert. The dissonance really registers at this speed and the climax goes on seemingly forever. I don't know if Richter recorded the song but I can imagine him playing it like this.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 18, 2007, 03:00:51 AM

One of my favorite Schubert piano discs is Lilya Zilberstein's D.850 coupled with an unusual and haunting version of the Liszt transcription of Gretchen am Spinnrade. Like her expression on the cover, this is some serious Schubert playing.

The song usually comes in around the three and half minute mark. Zilberstein takes twice as long, completely changing its character, making the music more Liszt than Schubert. The dissonance really registers at this speed and the climax goes on seemingly forever. I don't know if Richter recorded the song but I can imagine him playing it like this.

Sarge

Sounds good Sarge!  :)

Poetdante

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 18, 2007, 02:29:26 AM
You might want to try this one then; nothing exaggerated, just pure Schubert:

Sarge

Thanks for your recommending.  :) I should try to hear this soon~
Chopin, forever.

bhodges

I've posted this before, but one of my favorite Schubert recordings is Matthias Goerne's recital disc, Goethe Lieder, with pianist Andreas Haefliger.  Goerne's mellifluous voice and sensitive work mesh beautifully with Haefliger's strong-but-not-overpowering accompaniment, and the sound quality puts you right in the hall with them.

--Bruce

Steve

George. You asked about this album.

Schubert - Piano Trios, Arpegione Sonata, Notturna
Piano: Andras Schiff
Cello: Miklos Perenyi
Violin: Yuuko Shiokawa

This is one of my recommending for the fans of Schubert.  :)

Schiff for Schubert? I generally find him a little to polished and technical- conservative for my liking. Perhaps, this is an uncharacteristic rendition for him?

George

Quote from: Steve on April 19, 2007, 07:50:43 AM
Schiff for Schubert? I generally find him a little to polished and technical- conservative for my liking. Perhaps, this is an uncharacteristic rendition for him?

Maybe he's better in ensembles, for I love his trout Quintet with Hagen. But his solo Schubert on that Double Decca didn't impress me much.  :-\

Poetdante

Quote from: George on April 19, 2007, 07:54:27 AM
Maybe he's better in ensembles, for I love his trout Quintet with Hagen. But his solo Schubert on that Double Decca didn't impress me much.  :-\

That's the point!

Perenyi's Cello playing is truly worth listening.
I really often hear the Arpegione Sonata in this album rather than the famous Rostropovich/Britten Recording from Decca.
Chopin, forever.

Don Giovanni

What are generally seen as the essential Schubert recordings? Looking at my collection, I seem not to have that many CDs compared to the Schubert I've listened to. I have a few questions:

Who does the better Die Schone Mullerin, Wunderlich or Fischer-Dieskau?

What is Beecham's Schubert like? I'm especially thinking about the 3rd, 5th and 6th symphonies.

What are some of Schubert's other essential works? (Not including the String Quartets, Quintet and Symphonies).

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Don Giovanni on May 25, 2007, 09:37:44 AM

What is Beecham's Schubert like? I'm especially thinking about the 3rd, 5th and 6th symphonies.

You talking about this one?

Very mediocre. The early stereo sound is horrendous. The playing is ragged, inattentive and completely lacking in any discipline. I guess the music has a nice flow to it but in this day and age where there are more good Schubert symphony recordings than weeds in my backyard I can't imagine why anyone would consider it. For twice the cost of that CD you can get the complete set with Muti and the vaunted VPO on Brilliant Classics.

SimonGodders

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 25, 2007, 10:01:56 AM
You talking about this one?

Very mediocre. The early stereo sound is horrendous. The playing is ragged, inattentive and completely lacking in any discipline. I guess the music has a nice flow to it but in this day and age where there are more good Schubert symphony recordings than weeds in my backyard I can't imagine why anyone would consider it. For twice the cost of that CD you can get the complete set with Muti and the vaunted VPO on Brilliant Classics.

Bollocks!

Holden

Quote from: rubio on April 16, 2007, 12:55:08 PM
Has anyone had the chance to compare this Melos Quartet/Rostropovich recording to the version I have - Casals, Stern+.

OK, but this is also worth considering:

Cheers

Holden

Don Giovanni

OK, thank you both for your advice. I'll definitely not be considering that recording.

What is the best set of all Schubert symphonies?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Don Giovanni on May 25, 2007, 12:34:11 PM
OK, thank you both for your advice. I'll definitely not be considering that recording.

No best set, but Muti/Brilliant Classics, Wand/RCA, Kertesz/Decca, Sawallisch/Philips will do nicely. Enjoy !

George

Quote from: Don Giovanni on May 25, 2007, 12:34:11 PM

The closest I got to a consensus last year was Boehm/BPO.

I love the set and haven't needed to look elsewhere.  :)

PerfectWagnerite

Also if you like period instrument performance I like Bruggen and Goodman. The Goodman set can be had as part of a 12CD set for a ridiculously low price.