Schuber's Erlkönig

Started by The Mad Hatter, April 24, 2007, 01:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mad Hatter

Ok, I've managed to get my hands on three separate recordings of Erlkönig - I'm performing it with a friend (he's singing) - and all three of them are in F minor.

Can anyone reccomend a good recording in the right key (G minor)? Preferably a fairly easy one to track down...

hornteacher

Is the Bryn Terfel recording in g minor?  Its a great recording none the less.

knight66

I can suggest some great recordings, but I do not know what key they are in.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Steve

Quote from: knight on April 24, 2007, 10:39:15 AM
I can suggest some great recordings, but I do not know what key they are in.

Mike

My problem exactly. I would otherwise reccomend Dietrich Fischer Deskau, but do not believe that one is in the correct key either.

hornteacher

I just checked.  Bryn Terfel's recording is in F minor also (unless my piano is out of tune).

The Mad Hatter

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I know there's at least one recording out there...I heard it in a lecture once (heh.)

Might try that Fischer Deskau.

I wish there were more singers in the world who were prepared to sing a piece in the key it was written.

val

Gerard Souzay with Dalton Baldwin. To me, the best version of Erlkönig.

knight66

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on April 24, 2007, 05:51:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I know there's at least one recording out there...I heard it in a lecture once (heh.)

Might try that Fischer Deskau.

I wish there were more singers in the world who were prepared to sing a piece in the key it was written.

I think it is more a matter of what is possible for the voice. You may be right about DFD, he is one of the few baritones to manage the Alto songs in Das Lied von der Erde. There is a superb version with Jessye Norman and it may be in the higher key.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: knight on April 25, 2007, 12:46:34 AM
I think it is more a matter of what is possible for the voice. You may be right about DFD, he is one of the few baritones to manage the Alto songs in Das Lied von der Erde. There is a superb version with Jessye Norman and it may be in the higher key.

Mike

I actually just realised I've got a recording of him singing Winterreise *sigh* a tone down again.

I'm aware that it's partly due to the limitations in the human voice, but I think that there's a world of difference between the sound of F minor and that of G minor, and that - particularly for a composer with an ear for key as amazing as Schubert's - it's nothing short of sin to sing them in the wrong key. Not to mention a nightmare for the pianist to read.

Besides, many singers (Fischer Deskau included) don't sound like they're really pushing for that high G - and they really should, in Erlkönig, the child is screaming for his life - not trying to woo his father...

val: I'll definitely give that recording a listen. Can you tell me any CDs it appears on?

val

QuoteThe Mad Hatter

val: I'll definitely give that recording a listen. Can you tell me any CDs it appears on?

It is a box of 4 CD, Philips, with Die schöne Müllerin, Winterreise, excerpts from Schwanengesang and other 29 Lieder. In my opinion it is one of the greatest monuments in the art of singing Schubert's Lieder, with the legendary recordings of Elisabeth Schumann.

This box includes a large number of less known Lieder, like the extraordinary and frightening Der Zwerg, perhaps the most sadistic work composed by Schubert. Norman's Gesang, a ballade based  on Walter Scott is another great moment.

Dalton Baldwin is also remarkable.

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: val on April 25, 2007, 03:39:42 AM
It is a box of 4 CD, Philips, with Die schöne Müllerin, Winterreise, excerpts from Schwanengesang and other 29 Lieder. In my opinion it is one of the greatest monuments in the art of singing Schubert's Lieder, with the legendary recordings of Elisabeth Schumann.

This box includes a large number of less known Lieder, like the extraordinary and frightening Der Zwerg, perhaps the most sadistic work composed by Schubert. Norman's Gesang, a ballade based  on Walter Scott is another great moment.

Dalton Baldwin is also remarkable.

Fantastic, thanks a million!