The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

Favorite vocal recitals on CD or DVD

(1/131) > >>

Brewski:
Just a few to get the ball rolling...

Frederica von Stade: Live in Edinburgh 1976.  A treasure, recorded with pianist Martin Isepp, in a great program of Dorumsgaard, Mahler, Ives, Poulenc, Britten and Offenbach. 

Dawn Upshaw: The Girl with Orange Lips.  Worth it just for Earl Kim's Where Grief Slumbers alone, but there's more: outstanding sets by Ravel, Stravinsky, Falla and Delage.

Karita Mattila: Arias & Scenes.  Bought it for the scene from Janacek's Jenufa, but was equally wowed by her Wagner, Puccini, Richard Strauss and Tchaikovsky.

Gerald Finley: A Song for Anything.  Roughly a third of Charles Ives' 114 songs, well-chosen and extremely well-characterized by Finley and his marvelous pianist, Stuart Drake. 

Jessye Norman: Richard Strauss Lieder.  One of the first CDs I ever bought, and still a favorite, with the debut recording (I believe) of "Malven," the little Strauss gem that was unearthed in the mid-1980s.  Geoffrey Parsons is miraculous at the piano.

What's really depressing is that assembling this small list makes me realize how many great recital recordings I don't have... :'(

--Bruce

Xenophanes:
Jussi Bjoerling at Carnegie Hall

http://www.amazon.com/Jussi-Bjoerling-at-Carnegie-Hall/dp/B000003F1Q/ref=sr_1_11/104-7564307-3333512?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177451904&sr=1-11

knight66:
I am surprised there have been so very few responses to Bruce's topic.

I have masses of solo discs, but to count as a recital disc, I was thinking that it ought to have been a planned recital as against a ragbag compilation. Over the years a lot of singers have recorded the bulk of specific recitals that they have been touring with that year.

However, the first one I want to mention is by a relative newcomer, she has recorded a recital disc for EMI in their Debut series. Subsequent to this issue, she has recorded Marzelline in the new Colin Davis Fidelio and the soprano part in Rattle's Carmina Burana.

The singer is Sally Matthews. Although she is in fact quite an experienced singer, this is her first recital. She has a clear, clean, sweet soprano voice. It is a Pamina voice and this is one part she has sung. There is vibrato when needed and she floats the high notes really beautifully. Her singing is poised.

The disc comprises of a group of Schubert, a few Strauss, some Poulenc and one song by someone called Bachelet, who the booklet is silent about beyond telling us he is principally famous for writing opera!??

The disc opens with a very atmospheric version of Nacht und Traume, she is good at the seeming stillness at the centre of the song and the pianist is the sure footed Malcolm Martineau. He can usually be relied upon to prevent singers from any self indulgence. That group includes a beautiful timeless version of what was almost the last song Schubert wrote, The Shepherd on the Rock. The rippling Clarenet player is Thomas Watmough and altogether this track reminded me of the early recording made by Margaret Price. Litani is also included, again, she captures the stasis of that prayerful song.

The Strauss includes the lively and the gentle, almost inevitably, Morgan gets a run out, but so well done, it is sheer pleasure. There is also an extatic version of Cacilie with the pianist producing an orchestra of sound.

Turning to the Poulenc, she sings eight songs, they seem to be over in a flash, tangy and in what sounds to me like very good French.

Finally a five and a half minute song, Chere nuit by Bachelet. What a nice surprise, substantial in every way, late 19th century French with lovely arching melody and reminiscent of Faure.

Altogether a lovely disc.

Mike

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: knight on April 27, 2007, 10:44:45 AM ---I am surprised there have been so very few responses to Bruce's topic.

--- End quote ---

I know what you mean.  Girl with orange lips, eh?  ;)

Brewski:

--- Quote from: knight on April 27, 2007, 10:44:45 AM ---However, the first one I want to mention is by a relative newcomer, she has recorded a recital disc for EMI in their Debut series. Subsequent to this issue, she has recorded Marzelline in the new Colin Davis Fidelio and the soprano part in Rattle's Carmina Burana.

The singer is Sally Matthews. Although she is in fact quite an experienced singer, this is her first recital. She has a clear, clean, sweet soprano voice. It is a Pamina voice and this is one part she has sung. There is vibrato when needed and she floats the high notes really beautifully. Her singing is poised.

--- End quote ---

This sounds great.  Nice program, and an excellent accompanist, too, in Malcolm Martineau.  I'm always eager to discover great new singers, so thanks for posting this!

--Bruce

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version