The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

Favorite vocal recitals on CD or DVD

<< < (3/132) > >>

Maciek:

--- Quote from: knight on April 27, 2007, 01:39:04 PM ---My pleasure Mr Osa, I can play this game all night and into tomorrow.
--- End quote ---

Well, it's Saturday tomorrow, we can all stay up a little... ;)

Brewski:

--- Quote from: knight on April 27, 2007, 01:35:05 PM ---The general tone of the recital is quite grave, Julius Drake is a real poet of an accompanist. He creates moonlit landscapes and matches Coote's range of volume.
--- End quote ---

Isn't he just great!  I'd never heard him until getting that Gerald Finley CD, and Drake's playing really made me sit up and take notice. 

I forgot Coote is getting such great reviews in Giulio Cesare here...

--Bruce

knight66:
Now for a favourite disc by a favourite singer. Bryn Terfel. Despite him being another frequent canceller of appearances, he is just so good that he gets all the work he wants. Here I feel is a phenomenal artist. He has his kitchy side and there have been rather a lot of crossover discs. But he is a chameleon. He can sing Broadway songs without making you wince. He can sing Wotan with jawdropping authority and drama.

However of all his work, the disc that has given me the most pleasure is called The Vagabond. As the title may indicate, it means we have Vaughn Williams cycle of songs Songs of Travel. If he had never recorded any other works, this would have thrown him to the top of the pile as a singer who communicates. Song after song comes out as you may have heard it in you head, but had never heard it in life. The particular highlight is The Infinite shining heavens. VW wants some very tricky hairpins in volume Terfel delivers them all and the piece becomes liquid poetry.

There is a collection of Finzi songs, Butterworth and Ireland. Here is authority and tenderness, imagination and word pointing, aided and abetted by Malcolm Martineau.

A Shropshire Lad consists of six Butterworth songs. The final one is about a ghost questioning a living friend about what has been happening while he was dead. Ultimately a bitter song, the friend bedded the dead man's sweetheart and the living man gives an ambiguous deflecting reply to a question about her. Terfel fined his voice and empties it of tone for the ghost. It is a remarkable end to a remarkable disc.

Mike

Brewski:

--- Quote from: knight on April 27, 2007, 01:58:26 PM ---Now for a favourite song by a favourite singer. Bryn Terfel. Despite him being another frequent canceller of appearances, he is just so good that he gets all the work he wants. Here I feel is a phenomenal artist. He has his kitchy side and there have been rather a lot of crossover discs. But he is a chameleon. He can sing Broadway songs without making you wince. He can sing Wotan with jawdropping authority and drama.
--- End quote ---

Oh I totally agree with you here, and I forgot I have this CD.  Should revisit it, since he is splendid in all of this repertoire. 

--Bruce

Maciek:
I only have one disc:

I quite like it. :)

OK, I also have the duets with Cecilia Bartoli but found that a bit disappointing... :(

(You guys notice how this has changed into a moderator-only thread? ;) LOL)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version