The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

Favorite vocal recitals on CD or DVD

<< < (4/133) > >>

knight66:
Bruce, I heard that Handel performance on radio and Coote was indeed good. The main event though was David Daniels as Caesar and he sounded on top form; going from strength to strength as the opera progressed.

The first time I heard him was a TV relay of Theodora, an oratorio produced as an opera by Glyndbourne. He and Hunt Lieberson together simply transfixed Jane and me. Sweetness allied with expressive ability. As soon as the video came out I got it and we played it to the point part of it stretched. Eventually it surfaced on DVD and we also snapped that up. I did so want it to appear on CD, but it did not. However, the arias for Daniels from the piece were included on a recital he issued in 2002. This is a disc of oratorio arias, but what does it matter, opera or oratorio, in sound only, I am just grateful for whatever turns up.

Daniels is one of the new turbo charged Countertenors. He can sing softly, sweetly, but can also manage reasonable volume while coping with the colouratura aspects of the works.

Here we get Belshazzar, Semele, Saul, Jeptha, Messiah and the core of the disc, four arias from Theodora. From that piece comes The Raptured Soul, eight taxing minutes, superbly sung, the melismas magical, the breath control allowing extraordinary long lines. The beautiful aria from Saul has unfortunately been shorn of the exquisite harp prelude, it is fine, but Scholl is just that bit better in that aria. Said to now be at his peak, though Lis does not agree, I just hope the stream of recitals does not dry up. There are two Handel discs, this is one, but the other is just as good. But he will have to watch....Jaroussky is younger and is chasing on his heels.

Mike

knight66:

--- Quote from: MrOsa on April 27, 2007, 02:15:21 PM ---
(You guys notice how this has changed into a moderator-only thread? ;) LOL)

--- End quote ---

Well, Mods have such good taste. I have that second disc, it is good, but not quite as fine as the first. Comparatively speaking he rushes the title song. It needs more time to allow that hot summer stillness to pervade.

Mike

Maciek:
You must be right about the good taste because I consciously used the word "like" instead of "love" there. 0:) :)

Brewski:

--- Quote from: knight on April 27, 2007, 02:18:29 PM ---Daniels is one of the new turbo charged Countertenors. He can sing softly, sweetly, but can also manage reasonable volume while coping with the colouratura aspects of the works.

--- End quote ---

Interesting...I just haven't heard enough of him.  Most countertenors, in fact, are a bit of a blind spot for me -- not sure why, other than the repertoire is usually off my radar.  But almost everyone I spoke with who heard (or saw) this production said it was great.

--Bruce

knight66:
Bruce, I think countertenors are an acquired taste, but if you get the bug, it is rewarding.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version