Author Topic: Favorite vocal recitals on CD or DVD  (Read 327685 times)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
Re: Favorite vocal recitals on CD or DVD
« Reply #520 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:47 AM »
I saw Leontyne Price in a MET stream of the 1985 Aida yesterday. Simply superb. First heard her in Knoxville on an LP decades ago (which made me a Barber convert).

For me, this is a favorite disc and one of the greatest of lieder discs:

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #521 on: May 03, 2020, 03:23:13 AM »
I saw Leontyne Price in a MET stream of the 1985 Aida yesterday. Simply superb. First heard her in Knoxville on an LP decades ago (which made me a Barber convert).

For me, this is a favorite disc and one of the greatest of lieder discs:

Oh, neat!  Do you subscribe to the Met's online service?  Or was this a free one?  Curious if it's still available to watch?

I've heard of Kim Borg before (as in sounds vaguely familiar) but don't recall ever hearing any of his recordings.  What repertoire was he known for in particular?

PD

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #522 on: May 05, 2020, 05:43:15 AM »

MEnon Lescaut! Who let that one get by?  :o
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #523 on: May 05, 2020, 06:31:35 AM »

That really just exemplifies the shoddy presentation of the discs.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #524 on: May 05, 2020, 08:29:35 AM »
In a TV interview many years ago, Maureen Forrester told an anecdote from a Carmen production in which she was singing. When Micaëla meets Don José, she tells him of his mother in their village. This particular José (who remained nameless) starts their duet with the phrase « Parle-moi de ma merde, parler-moi de ma merde ». The hysterical laughter coming from the wings was Forrester rolling out on the floor.

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #525 on: May 06, 2020, 02:09:52 AM »

Jussi Bjørling - Puccini: Turandot - Nessun dorma
Giacomo Lauri-Volpi - Verdi: La Forza del Destino - Solenne in quet'ora (with Gino Bechi)
Kirsten Flagstad  Wagner: Die Walküre - Ho jo to ho
Rosa Ponselle - Puccini: Tosca - Vissi d'arte
Enrico Caruso - Verdi: Rigoletto - Bella figlia d'amore (with Marcella Sembrich, Gina Severina, Antonio Scotti)
Emmy Destinn - Ponchielli: La Gioconda - Suicidio!
Victor Maurel - Verdi: Falstaff - Quand' ero paggio
Francesco Tamagno - Verdi : Otello - Esultate!
Amelita Galli-Curci - Rimsky-Korsakov - Song of India
Beniamino Gigli - Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana - O Lola, ch'ai di latti la cammisa (with spoken intro by Mascagani)
Conchita Supervia - Carmen: Les tringles des sistres tintaient
John McCormack - Norah O'Neale (trad. Irish Air)
Frieda Hempel - Mangold - Zweigesang
Erna Berger & Tiana Lemnitz - Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier - Ist ein Traum, kann nicht wirklich sein

This was a sampler for Nimbus's Prima Voce seris, which, controversially, "re-records rather than re-masters the original sound." Reactions to their methods will vary, but there is some great singing here, opening with Bjørling's wondrously poetic, gloriously sung Nessun dorma. Other highlights include Ponselle singing Vissi d'arte, Caruso in the quartet from Rigoletto with Sembrich, Severina and Scotti and Supervia in the Gypsy Song from Carmen, but nothing here is without interest. Historically important is Mascagni's spoken introduction to the Prelude for Cavalleria Rusticana with Gigli, Victor Maurel in Falstaff's brief Quand' ero paggio and Tamagno singing Otello's Esultate, both their role's creators and recorded in 1907 and 1903.

My only slight disappointment was with Destinn's Suicidio!, which is bland and effortful compared to versions by Ponselle and Callas, and the voice, as recorded, lacks firmness in the middle register. That said this is an interesting compendium of around 40 years of singing on record.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #526 on: May 06, 2020, 02:43:55 AM »
In a TV interview many years ago, Maureen Forrester told an anecdote from a Carmen production in which she was singing. When Micaëla meets Don José, she tells him of his mother in their village. This particular José (who remained nameless) starts their duet with the phrase « Parle-moi de ma merde, parler-moi de ma merde ». The hysterical laughter coming from the wings was Forrester rolling out on the floor.
:laugh: Oh, thank you...I needed a good laugh; glad, however, that I wasn't sipping my cappuccino at that exact moment!
Ouch!  :(