Favorite vocal recitals on CD or DVD

Started by bhodges, April 24, 2007, 11:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: knight on December 04, 2008, 12:26:52 PM
Wrong thread surely Dave, a one liner. (Mine also, to make you feel at home.)

Mike
Signing with your name guarantees a two-liner.

Erato.

knight66

Oh, I think that needs to be thrashed out on the one-liner thread. I don't agree.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

mn dave

Quote from: knight on December 04, 2008, 12:26:52 PM
Wrong thread surely Dave, a one liner. (Mine also, to make you feel at home.)

Mike

I should have made the question longer?   ::)

knight66

More from you is always welcome Dave.

Mike

Novi

Quote from: knight on December 04, 2008, 05:56:52 AM
In 1975 Janet Baker recorded a disc of Scottish folk songs as set by Haydn and Beethoven. The idea of such composers being aware of such songs might come as a surprise to some. In part it may have been as a result of the enthusiasm for Ossian, a supposed ancient Scottish bard who was all the rage at the end of the 18th Century. This hoax brought about a vogue in Celtic song and literature. Beethoven and Haydn were at various times commissioned to set Scots songs, in the original language, mainly perfectly understandable English. Both composers absorb the original style beautifully and the arrangements do no damage to the folk elements.

Mike

Thanks for the review, Mike. Are these Ossian poems or other Scots songs?

A little OT, but I remember reading that even though Schumann set a fair few Burns poems (in German translation), he apparently thought Rabbie was English :D. Oh dear! So much for a Celtic revival ;D.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

knight66

Hi, Ossian was the invention of someone called James Macpherson. He claimed to have translated the cycle of poems from ancient Scottish texts. Schubert set a number of the poems and I seem to recollect that Berlioz was influenced by them. I also think his teacher Mehul set some of the texts. Here is an item about the poetry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossian

As to Burns, he wrote in two distinct styles. One was a colourful vernacular Scots and the other a fairly literary English. I suppose before TV and radio and computers, people in other countries remained shadowy for the most part.

Mike

Maciek

Quote from: knight on December 04, 2008, 09:48:40 PM
I suppose before TV and radio and computers, people in other countries remained shadowy for the most part.

I need to add that as a signature quote. ;D

Wait, I even think it should be the GMG motto.

springrite

Quote from: knight on December 04, 2008, 09:48:40 PM
I suppose before TV and radio and computers, people in other countries remained shadowy for the most part.

Wrong. People in very small obscure countries aspire to rise to the lofty level of being a shadow.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: knight on December 04, 2008, 11:04:37 AM
Montserrat Caballe is a name I don't encounter on these boards,

Mike, Caballe has always been a favourite of mine. I have her her in a few complete Verdi roles (Amalia in I Masnadieri, Gulnara in Il Corsaro, Elisabeth in Don Carlo), and also as Lucrezia in a live performance of Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia (with Alain Vanzo and much better than the studio recording). I also have a bargain 2 disc compilation of arias and songs drawn from her EMI recordings, a disc of various excerpts from some of her Decca complete sets, and, best of all, the RCA reissue of Rossini, Donizetti and Verdi Rarities. The excerpts from the Decca Turandot, and the arias from the early disc of Puccini Arias she made for EMI with Charles Mackerras, serve to remind us of her qualities in this repertoire; the sheer beauty of the sound, the prodigious breath control, the long line and those incredible pianissimi. However, if we turn to the Tosca she recorded for Colin Davis, we are sometimes aware of a tendency she had to put these abilities before the music, almost as if she was laying out the voice for admiring display. This happens at the end of Vissi d'arte, where she ignores Puccini's injunction to take a breath after the climactic top B (or is it a Bb? I can't remember) at perche, Signor. Caballe phrases through and onwards, effecting an incredible pianissimo, as she comes down the scale. It is an amazing feat, but less musical or dramatically apt than the versions of most other sopranos, who follow what is written in the score.
She is excellent in all three of the complete Verdi roles I have, but I feel her best work was in the late 1960s and early 1970s when she sang so much of the bel canto repertoire, that was her staple at that time. The first disc she made for RCA included a performance of Casta Diva, which must be counted one of the best ever made, though it has to be admitted that in this repertoire too she could have her limitations. She never really had a trill and her runs, though mostly smooth, were sometimes lightly aspirated, and she could never move around the music with quite the fluidity of Callas or Sutherland. On the other hand, she was a much more expressive singer than Sutherland, and can be very moving, where Sutherland often merely dazzles. Mention of Callas reminds me of how much Caballe revered Callas. Most touching is Caballe's contribution to Zefirelli's documentary about Callas, made shortly after Callas had died. Caballe sits in her dressing room with tears streaming down her face, simply saying, in her broken English, "Thank you, Maria, for come to us." The compliment was returned, as Callas, not known for her generosity to other singers, admired Caballe too, and in fact gave Caballe a gift of some earrings she had worn as Norma, on one of Caballe's first nights in the role. Caballe would sometimes consult the older singer about music and roles, once asking her about whether she should sing Abigaille. Callas advised her against it, saying, that it would be like putting a precious Baccarat glass in a box and shaking it about. "It would shatter," she stated. Caballe heeded the advice and never sang the role. Callas, it might be remembered, only sang it at one series of performances, when she was still in her 20s. She is absolutely fantastic in the role, but she never sang it again, so maybe she knew what she was talking about. It hasn't been exactly kind to those singers who have made a career out of it.
But I digress. Caballe definitely deserves her place in the pantheon of great singers. Looking back, we will no doubt regard her time as one of the golden ages. She was at her peak round about the same time as Sutherland, Pavarotti, Domingo, Leontyne Price, Marilyn Horne, Mirella Freni, Renata Scotto, Ghiaurov, Christa Ludwig, Bumby, Verrett, Vickers, Nilsson, to name but a few. What a rich and varied, if incomplete, list it is!

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

knight66

Thanks for that. I did not know of the connections with Callas. I agree about the lack of a real trill, I thought her scale work was good though. I have what was originally a two LP set of rare Rossini, Donizetti and on the CDs, Verdi. It was recorded 68 to 70. Most of the music remains rare, except for the Rossini Otello, a most beautiful aria which remained rare until the Rossini revival and a full recording with von Stade as Desdemona.

Amongst other discs I prize, there is the Barbirolli Verdi Requiem, also with Vickers. Although not a prime recommendation, much too much choral muttering in the first quarter of an hour; the solo work is excellent. She produces that phrasing you describe in Tosca, but here it suits. By the way, I did not enjoy her as Tosca, I felt she coarsened her voice too much.

Granados songs get a marvelous disc from her; another disc to save from a house fire.

Finally, she was also superb in Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutti, partnered by Janet Baker. Unfortunately, the men let the side down on this recording, but it is still worth getting to hear Davis and the women enjoying making music together.

Mike

mozartsneighbor

One of my favorite Monteverdi recordings. Kiehr is an Argentinian soprano, who is incredibly technically assured and she specializes in 17th century music. The Monteverdi solo motets are among his most inspired music IMHO. Her cd of music by 17th century woman composer Barbara Strozzi is also wonderful.
I love her voice but I know a couple of people who don't react well to it -- they say she doesn't sound very female, but has a rather androgynous tone, almost like a castrato. It is a bit true, but I enjoy it the way it is.

Anne

My favorites are Songs and Dances of Death by Mussorsky and sung by Hvorotovsky.

Lilas Pastia

My take on Caballé's artistry: although I wouldn't chose her as my desert island Leonora (Trovatore), Norma or Aida, there's no doubt her contribution to these great roles will remain peerless. I don't think any soprano equalled her instrumental qualities there - and indeed, once you have come to know them, most singers will be found wanting in the vocal department.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: knight on December 06, 2008, 01:20:24 AM

Finally, she was also superb in Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutti, partnered by Janet Baker. Unfortunately, the men let the side down on this recording, but it is still worth getting to hear Davis and the women enjoying making music together.

Mike

Mike, I'd forgotten that I also have her Fiordiligi, and she is, as you say, superb, dispatching the roles difficulties with ease.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Lilas Pastia

Not a vocal recital, but a  Youtube link to the incomparable Maureen Forrester. Start with Bach's Erbarme dich, mein Gott (Matthaeus Passion). This great aria starts with a violin ritornello that lasts about a minute. Be prepared for the soloist's entrance: one of the most sumptuous, tummy wobbling voices I've ever heard. If you check the Forrester list of extracts on the right you'll get her Mahler Rückert Lieder (from the 1958 DG album with Fricsay).

Drasko

Quote from: mozartsneighbor on December 06, 2008, 11:23:44 AM

One of my favorite Monteverdi recordings. Kiehr is an Argentinian soprano, who is incredibly technically assured and she specializes in 17th century music. The Monteverdi solo motets are among his most inspired music IMHO. Her cd of music by 17th century woman composer Barbara Strozzi is also wonderful.
I love her voice but I know a couple of people who don't react well to it -- they say she doesn't sound very female, but has a rather androgynous tone, almost like a castrato. It is a bit true, but I enjoy it the way it is.

I have that, and I like it. Never sounded androgynous to me, but again my knowledge on singers doesn't go far beyond me like or me no like. I bought that disc after first hearing, and being really impressed by her singing role of La Musica in Garrido's recording of Monteverdi's L'Orfeo. Already have posted this but here is it again: Kiehr's opening aria Dal mio Permesso amato from prologue to L'Orfeo

http://www.mediafire.com/?ey23tyxnb92

DarkAngel

Here are two I really enjoy..........
Tsaraslondon mentioned the "art of the prima donna" earlier in this thread but worth repeating.
If you want to hear the extreme limits of soprano vocal technique this is where you go, these early Sutherland tracks are just amazing especially show pieces like Lakme "bell song" etc, the top end can almost crack glass  ;)

I am also showing a great 1CD Emma Kirkby collection on Lyre label........main attraction is the Mozart Exultate Jubilate, you will never hear anyone do it as good as Emma and Christopher Hogwood, lots of other great stuff also, very cheap used at Amazon

Brünnhilde forever

An outstanding and innovative format to present Schubert's Winterreise with Ian Bostridge. No stand and deliver with hand gracefully on the Steinway performance!

knight66

I don't suppose you could get him to play the piano rather than sing?  8)

Mike