Pet Peeves

Started by ChamberNut, January 23, 2008, 09:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

Another place to vent......  0:)

Mention some of your pet peeves:

*People who don't have a physical handicap who park their vehicles into Handicap Parking spots.  So rude!   >:(

*When someone leaves the work lunchroom, taking the last cup of coffee without making another fresh pot.   >:(

hornteacher

People who pronounce it:  Mo - zart

head-case

People who claim to admire young, nubile violinists for their music talent when all they're interested in is their cute little boobs.

MishaK

Quote from: hornteacher on January 23, 2008, 01:15:16 PM
People who pronounce it:  Mo - zart

It's not clear what you mean.

Pet peeves:

Confusing affect and effect.

Confusing principle and principal.

Misuse of apostrophes for plurals.

Confusing there and their.

Pretentious people who write (in English) rôle instead of role and coöperate instead of cooperate.

People who don't signal lane changes or turns.

Kullervo

Quote from: O Mensch on January 23, 2008, 01:22:36 PM
Pretentious people who write (in English) rôle instead of role and coöperate instead of cooperate.

Perhaps they are just naïve.

MN Dave

I'm with Mensch on the traffic signaling.

Also, cell phones or iPods while driving.  ::)

...And people who have the nerve to get mad when you're not speeding as fast as they are. This automatically includes tailgaters.

head-case

MishaK

Quote from: Corey on January 23, 2008, 01:24:29 PM
Perhaps they are just naïve.

;D

Strangely, that one bothers me less. Perhaps because I speak German and seeing ö always makes me want to pronounce it like a German ö.

Don

Quote from: head-case on January 23, 2008, 01:21:14 PM
People who claim to admire young, nubile violinists for their music talent when all they're interested in is their cute little boobs.

I have zero interest in cute little boobs - gorgeous large ones are different story.

hornteacher

Quote from: O Mensch on January 23, 2008, 01:22:36 PM
It's not clear what you mean.

Many of the people I come into contact with who aren't musicians pronounce the name "Moe - Zart" (like one of the 3 Stooges) instead of "Moat - Zart" (like the moat around a castle).

Not a huge deal but it frustrates me as a music teacher.

Don

What's been bothering me lately are politicians whose answer to the question, "what weakness would you bring to the presidency" is actually a strength.  Both Clinton and Edwards did this in a previous debate.  It reveals a lack of sincerity and an attempt to con the public - "I'M TOO COMPASSIONATE".

MN Dave

Quote from: Don on January 23, 2008, 01:33:35 PM
I have zero interest in cute little boobs - gorgeous large ones are different story.

Man, you're actually picky about boobs?

hornteacher

Quote from: head-case on January 23, 2008, 01:21:14 PM

If the violinist has both beauty and talent, why can't I admire both?

MishaK

Quote from: hornteacher on January 23, 2008, 01:34:37 PM
Many of the people I come into contact with who aren't musicians pronounce the name "Moe - Zart" (like one of the 3 Stooges) instead of "Moat - Zart" (like the moat around a castle).

Well, both are still wrong since it should be a clean open o, not a diphtong of the oe or oa kind, but native English speakers are generally handicapped by an inability to produce clean vowels. But yes, the letter z is generally pronounced ts in German, though the syllables divide more like Moh-tsart.

Don

Quote from: MN Dave on January 23, 2008, 01:37:39 PM
Man, you're actually picky about boobs?

Since there are millions of women with large breasts, I don't think I'm being picky at all.  Don't get me wrong.  I wouldn't hesitate to marry a small breasted woman, but we're just talking about the visual image of female entertainers.

hornteacher

Quote from: O Mensch on January 23, 2008, 01:38:58 PM
Well, both are still wrong since it should be a clean open o, not a diphtong of the oe or oa kind, but native English speakers are generally handicapped by an inability to produce clean vowels. But yes, the letter z is generally pronounced ts in German, though the syllables divide more like Moh-tsart.

Noted and appreciated.  :)

Don

Another pet peeve is folks who use 100 words to say something that could have been uttered with 10 words.  I don't like having my time wasted by verbal masturbaters.

MN Dave

Quote from: Don on January 23, 2008, 01:45:23 PM
Another pet peeve is folks who use 100 words to say something that could have been uttered with 10 words.  I don't like having my time wasted by verbal masturbaters.

Bravo.

Kullervo

• "I'm (name of candidate) and I approved this message." So? It's a positive commercial. Why wouldn't you approve it? What happens to commercials that are unapproved? "Look, I know you guys mean well, but I just can't approve this. Sorry."

• People whose eyebrows are constantly raised, as if they are perpetually bored or surprised. I think this says a lot about their personality.

• People who use the word "elitist" on a regular basis.

Lethevich

Quote from: MN Dave on January 23, 2008, 01:25:47 PM
...And people who have the nerve to get mad when you're not speeding as fast as they are. This automatically includes tailgaters.

They can be punished - if you slam on your brakes, in the eyes of the law, it is their insurance which must pay for the repairs ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.