Previous topic - Next topic

Benny

Your suggestions of winter music....

"The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind."
(Albert Camus)

Bogey

On a bitter cold steely day:

Shostakovich Symphony No. 11
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

springrite

I like listening to Sibelius on snowy days. Winter Legends by Bax is another favorite.

Brian

Tchaikovsky's First Symphony - "Winter Daydreams"

Cute subtitle aside, it really is appropriate.  :)

not edward

Tapiola is always what springs to mind first for me.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

orbital

Sviridov's Snow Storm has been my staple winter music for two years now. It has an aching beauty (not the Romance alone, but the whole work) that somehow just clicks to a winter storm.

val

Schubert: Winterreise.

Dufourt: Les Hivers.

Poulenc:  Un Soir de neige.

Sibelius: Tapiola.

canninator

springrite

Quote from: canninator on January 24, 2008, 12:55:21 AM
Bax-November Woods

This is a work I always listen to in late autumn -- October, usually in my part of the world.

Norbeone

Quote from: Brian on January 23, 2008, 07:08:43 PM
Tchaikovsky's First Symphony - "Winter Daydreams"

Cute subtitle aside, it really is appropriate.  :)

Seconded.

anasazi

Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" cantata or "Lieutenant Kije" suite work for me.  Many others too.  Probably more Russian composers than not.

ChamberNut

Sibelius - Symphony No. 1

When I heard it in concert last November, there is a theme in the first movement I believe, where it sounds like a cold wind gently howling through (string effect). 

MN Dave

When I think winter, I think Sibelius.

gmstudio

Marcel

Sibelius: Symphony no. 6

Grazioso

Outside of the obvious candidates, Kokkonen's 4th symphony is suitably gray and bleak.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

gomro

Quote from: Benny on January 23, 2008, 06:05:18 PM
Your suggestions of winter music....

Feldman's Three Voices, not least because of the fragmented lyric: "Snow falls...snow falls..."  But the strange harmonies and rhythms work very well watching the snow fall outside, lyric or no.

Wuorinen set Dylan Thomas' Winter's Tale to music, but I've never been in love with the results. On the other hand, his String Trio works for me as winter music.

For some reason, I associate Xenakis' Pleiades with winter. Maybe I first heard it during that season, I know not.

Stockhausen's Oktophonie and Subotnick's Four Butterflies make good electronic winter music, as well as Winter from W. Carlos' Sonic Seasonings disc.

Kullervo

Nørgård's Winter Hymn and Frostsalme — both choral works built around the same (very beautiful) melody.

springrite

Quote from: gomro on January 25, 2008, 04:04:05 PM

Wuorinen set Dylan Thomas' Winter's Tale to music, but I've never been in love with the results.

I do like the result!

gomro

Quote from: springrite on January 25, 2008, 09:54:48 PM
I do like the result!

As much as I like most of Wuorinen (I just got the new Naxos release of the Dante Trilogy) Winter's Tale just never did work for me. Still, to each his own...