Kenneth Leighton(1929-1988)

Started by Dundonnell, April 30, 2008, 04:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

My favorites are the 1st and the 2nd symphonies. I too like the grim mood of his style. It's bleak music but at the same time is engaging and has substance.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I have a strong impression of the works of Leighton, but can't seem to find my listening notes and don't quite remember what I listened to. (I know it was from the Chandos series). I wouldn't say bleak. My overall impression is grim determination to overcome difficult circumstances.

Irons

Apparently a very nice man and without ego. He enjoyed friendship and support from Gerald Finzi.

Anyone quoting source is threatened with legal action. So I won't!  :-X
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

kyjo

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 03, 2019, 08:40:36 AM
I wouldn't say bleak. My overall impression is grim determination to overcome difficult circumstances.

I agree. Dark, certainly, but hardly approaching the bleakness of, say, the Pettersson or later Weinberg symphonies. There's a strong, purposeful backbone to Leighton's music which ensures that it doesn't drift off into helpless self-pity.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

If I had to use one word to characterize his music it would be struggle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 03, 2019, 01:20:01 PM
If I had to use one word to characterize his music it would be struggle.

My sentiments exactly.

vandermolen

Am really enjoying the poignant, poetic and eloquent Symphony 3 'Laudes Musicae' this evening:

I recall that one of my young, musical students really enjoying Leighton's vocal music. There is something very sad about this music. Leighton, who was evidently a very nice individual, died prematurely and apparently had a drink problem. I find this symphony very moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 10, 2019, 09:15:55 AM
Am really enjoying the poignant, poetic and eloquent Symphony 3 'Laudes Musicae' this evening:

I recall that one of my young, musical students really enjoying Leighton's vocal music. There is something very sad about this music. Leighton, who was evidently a very nice individual, died prematurely and apparently had a drink problem. I find this symphony very moving.

Thanks for this, Jeffrey; I'll have to give it a spin. Did you manage to locate your CD of the First Symphony, by chance?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on February 10, 2019, 12:12:03 PM
Thanks for this, Jeffrey; I'll have to give it a spin. Did you manage to locate your CD of the First Symphony, by chance?

Yes, indeed Kyle - just a couple of days ago. I started to listen to it but was then interrupted by something or other. I really liked what I heard and will try to listen to it right through later today.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I recently listened to Leighton's music for strings. The Symphony for Strings, I later read, was a student work and rather dull, though skillfully done. However, I found the "Concerto for String Orchestra" to be very impressive. It is in a sort of slow-fast-slow scheme, with the central movement a scherzo of sorts and the outer movements more extensive in scope. It has some of the strong functional dissonance which seems to be the convention of English String music of the early 20th century. Almost Finzi-esque. I have to start listening to the symphonies again.

vandermolen

I've really enjoyed hearing this (twice) today. Thank you Kyle and also Cesar for the recommendations. I became more gripped as this searching and rather troubled symphony went along.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Listened to the Concerto for String Orchestra again, it grows more interested each time I listen. Also had time to listen to the Organ Concerto. The first movement "lament" seemed flat but the second movement (toccata) was extremely impressive and the final theme with variations made wonderful use of the palette of tone colors available from the organ and string orchestra. My regard for this composer continues to grow.

Irons

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 12, 2019, 07:34:49 AM
Listened to the Concerto for String Orchestra again, it grows more interested each time I listen. Also had time to listen to the Organ Concerto. The first movement "lament" seemed flat but the second movement (toccata) was extremely impressive and the final theme with variations made wonderful use of the palette of tone colors available from the organ and string orchestra. My regard for this composer continues to grow.

The Concerto for String Orchestra and Organ Concerto are the (only) two recordings I have by Leighton. After your positive impression of the former I will give it a spin. The Organ Concerto I rate highly, as highly as the one for the same instrument by Poulenc.
The 1st Symphony sounds most interesting indeed.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Irons on February 12, 2019, 08:26:49 AM
The Concerto for String Orchestra and Organ Concerto are the (only) two recordings I have by Leighton. After your positive impression of the former I will give it a spin. The Organ Concerto I rate highly, as highly as the one for the same instrument by Poulenc.
The 1st Symphony sounds most interesting indeed.

Turns out I was thinking of the Poulenc concerto as well and listened to that last evening. I have a number of recordings but choose Hickox/London Sinfonietta.

I was surprised. Poulenc's Gaelic, witty style was no where in evidence. It opened with a Gothic blast from the organ reminiscent of Bach's (or someone's) Toccata and Fugue in d-minor. It continued with alternation between gothic outbursts, vigorous fast-tempo passages and gentle pastorales. An interesting work, no doubt. A contrast with the Piano Concerto, which has charming passages that alternate with Bruckneresq brass outbursts. I get the impression of Poulenc trying on different hats.

It occurs to me, this isn't the Poulenc thread...

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 10, 2019, 09:15:55 AM

Recently listened to this and found it very enjoyable and quite moving as well. Leighton was undoubtedly a composer of great integrity and sincerity.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: kyjo on March 13, 2019, 11:57:21 AM
Recently listened to this and found it very enjoyable and quite moving as well. Leighton was undoubtedly a composer of great integrity and sincerity.

I like Leighton, but I don't think that good music has anything to do with good character or integrity on the part of the composer. (Not that I have any ideas about Leighton's personal integrity.)

DavidUK

The more I listen to Leighton's 1st symphony the more I realise what a masterpiece it is.

kyjo

Quote from: DavidUK on March 26, 2023, 02:00:15 AMThe more I listen to Leighton's 1st symphony the more I realise what a masterpiece it is.

Indeed, a darkly powerful and intense work!! I also hold in high regard his 2nd and 3rd symphonies and Piano Concerto no. 3.

Roasted Swan

Kenneth Leighton is one of those composers whose work never fails to impress me when I encounter it.  Perhaps because he is 'serious' it can be hard for the uncommitted listener to encounter/engage with his work.  The sad truth is that a "Leighton Revival" is unlikely to occur as his academic background/education/heritage does not chime with the current CM climate.  I'm grateful for all the music that has made it to disc - added to this month by a new release of Choral Music on SOMM

Roasted Swan

I've been listening to this new disc of Choral Music by Leighton.  Its very good indeed - beautiful/interesting music performed with skill and conviction.  Londinium are a non-professional chamber choir but they sing this very demanding music very well indeed.  Laudes Animantium is quite a find - 30 minutes of anthology poetry for a capella choir, soloists and children's chorus.