Romantic Violin Concertos

Started by alexh, October 02, 2012, 06:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexh

Hi,

I have been putting together playlists of various styles of classical music. I'd like to make one with violin concertos, emphasizing the slower concertos if that's a convenient distinction.
I think I found the obvious but if there are any other must haves let me know..

Mendelssohn/Brahms: Violin Concertos Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic,  Anne-Sophie Mutter
Beethoven: Violin Concerto, Zinman, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Hilary Hahn
Mozart: Davis, London Symphony, Pelliccia

Thanks

P.S. I put together a playlist of Waltz's, most of which I had not heard in many years, and it brought tears to my eyes.

mc ukrneal

First off - welcome to GMG. Feel free to post in the introductions thread if you would like.

As to violin concertos, I am slightly confused. Your title has romantic violin concertos, but then you include Mozart, which is not romantic. I am going to assume you are a bit flexible on the romantic thing.

So - for romantic concertos, check out the Hyperion series of Romantic Violin Concertos. This is an ongoing series, but has about a dozen entries already.

In addition to that, there are some not listed that ae quite famous like Tchaikovsky, Elgar, Sibelius, Saint-Saens (first is in the Hyperion series, but worth mentioning anyway), Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Bach (not romantic, but wonderful), and Vivaldi (lots of them, not Romantic, but some wonderful music to break things up). Tchaikovsky and Elgar are probably the next two to pick after the ones you listed. For Elgar, anything with Kennedy (he has a couple versions) is good. On Tchaikovsky, I like Repin/Gergiev, but there are many excellent versions that you would enjoy.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

vandermolen

I would recommend the ones by Peterson-Berger and Respighi's 'Concerto Gregoriano'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Where's the most romantic of them all; Bruch's G minor?

Daverz

The Barber concerto should certainly be near the top of your list.

Here's a big list of concertos.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Daverz on October 04, 2012, 05:06:15 PM
The Barber concerto should certainly be near the top of your list.

Here's a big list of concertos.
Paganini. I forgot the Paganini.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

alexh

Thanks all,
I acquired some of these from Amazon. Anne-Sophie Mutter is amazing with a violin and the recording I have appears to be technically perfect (not that I'm an expert).

Regarding Saint-Saens I picked up Violin Concerto No. 3. by Khaykin and Zhuck.
On internet radio I heard part of a piece by Saint-Saens that seemed to be more of a violin solo and was very slow.
They had a name that shows up with the composer but no mention of the actual piece.

Amazon has another Saint-Saens production by Calamgirand that includes the No 2 violin concerto and one selection from the No 1.
Is what I heard possibly from this selection?

I almost ignored Sibelius but what a mistake that would be - there's a youtube of Hahn playing part 1 and it's very melancholy.
I also ignored Bach but I read that the Chaccone from the Partita No. 2 for Solo Violin by Bach is another melancholy piece.
Finally, Grieg Violin Sonata in C Minor. I know I didn't say dark or melancholy in original post but I find myself gravitating more towards this style for some strange reason.

petrarch

Quote from: alexh on October 07, 2012, 04:37:37 PM
On internet radio I heard part of a piece by Saint-Saens that seemed to be more of a violin solo and was very slow.
They had a name that shows up with the composer but no mention of the actual piece.

Could it be The Swan, from Carnival of the animals? It is actually for cello.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Daverz

Easiest thing would be to get the Ulf Hoelscher set of the works for violin and orchestra.
[asin]B005EVV5NQ[/asin]

North Star

Regarding Saint-Saens I picked up Violin Concerto No. 3. by Khaykin and Zhuck.

I almost ignored Sibelius but what a mistake that would be - there's a youtube of Hahn playing part 1 and it's very melancholy.
I also ignored Bach but I read that the Chaccone from the Partita No. 2 for Solo Violin by Bach is another melancholy piece.
Finally, Grieg Violin Sonata in C Minor. I know I didn't say dark or melancholy in original post but I find myself gravitating more towards this style for some strange reason.
Havanaise  seems like the most likely option for that Saint-Saëns piece on the radio.
You should listen to Elgar's violin concerto, too.

As for the Grieg sonata, get this album - superb performances, and superb pieces - especially the Janacek and Franck sonatas  8)
[asin]B003YJCI5Y[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

alexh

Quote from: North Star on October 07, 2012, 09:59:05 PM
Havanaise  seems like the most like option for that Saint-Saëns piece on the radio.
You should listen to Elgar's violin concerto, too.

[asin]B003YJCI5Y[/asin]
Yes, that's it. Actually plenty of orchestral accompanyment but also some long sections with very little.
Thanks