Johan Svendsen

Started by Symphonic Addict, May 19, 2024, 06:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

No thread for this composer, so I started one on the strength of his String Octet in A major which I listened to a few minutes ago. This is an extraordinarily beautiful, memorable and very Nordic-sounding piece. It's his longest work and the longest string octet I know (more so than the Enescu's), lasting around 40-41 minutes, full of ideas that linger on the mind. In this octet Svendsen is not far from Dvorak in terms of writing memorable melodies.

This recording leaves nothing to be desired. Exemplary rendition.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

DaveF

Heck, you're right, so well done for creating the thread!  I remember first coming across him in Tower Records in Piccadilly in the 80s, when they were playing a recording of the symphonies, which I bought on the spot and have loved ever since.  (Historical puzzle here - it must have been the Järvi recording, yet the one I have is the Engeset, not released until years later.)  He's much better at handling large-scale forms than Grieg, IMO.  Must give the Octet a listen.

There's the strange story of his wife having burned the MS of his 3rd symphony, which I'm not sure stands up to strict historical investigation.  It would be extra-sad if two final Nordic symphonies had ended up in the fire.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Daverz

His symphonies are a schnoozefest.  I'll check out the Octet.

foxandpeng

I'm really surprised that no thread existed for Svendsen before today! Thank you for rectifying the situation 🙂🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DaveF

Quote from: Daverz on May 20, 2024, 01:05:27 AMHis symphonies are a schnoozefest.
Well, they're not, although Järvi does his best to make them so on his later recording with the Bergen Phil.  For comparison, here he is taking 6½ minutes over the 3rd movement of no.1:

and here's Bjarte Engeset in Bournemouth, a 5-minute job:

Strangely, Järvi has added a minute to the timing of his earlier, Gothenburg, version, so this ponderous approach must have some thought behind it.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

J

I can recall hearing both Violin & Cello Concertos by Svendsen, but not sure if they were commercial recordings.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: DaveF on May 20, 2024, 09:59:41 AMWell, they're not, although Järvi does his best to make them so on his later recording with the Bergen Phil.

Agreed, they are imbued with some beautiful melodies and have good writing overall (I could even prefer them over the Halvorsen's). The EMI recording featuring Jansons and the Oslo P.O. is quite fine as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Daverz on May 20, 2024, 01:05:27 AMHis symphonies are a schnoozefest.  I'll check out the Octet.

🤭🤭
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy