Langgaard's Lyre

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Rinaldo on October 13, 2018, 05:51:09 AM
Quote from: relm1 on September 25, 2018, 06:34:32 AM
[...]  So in some of Langgaard's works, you have a feeling of "but I can do that too".

This. I wonder where his musical mind would've taken him if he wasn't handicapped by jealousness.

This feels like eisogesis rather than exegesis, to this listener/composer.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Is the Dacapo symphony box a space saver box with sleeves or 7 plastic jewel cases in a paper case?

North Star

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2018, 06:59:12 PM
Is the Dacapo symphony box a space saver box with sleeves or 7 plastic jewel cases in a paper case?
Sleeves.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2018, 06:59:12 PM

Space saving, yes, definitely. Sleeves? No. It's a totally ingenious -- well, very fancy -- little fan-system. Not simply sleeves, though.

Biffo

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 15, 2018, 08:03:23 AM
Space saving, yes, definitely. Sleeves? No. It's a totally ingenious -- well, very fancy -- little fan-system. Not simply sleeves, though.

My Dacapo box of the symphonies has the discs in cardboard sleeves, nothing ingenious.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Biffo on November 15, 2018, 08:10:36 AM
My Dacapo box of the symphonies has the discs in cardboard sleeves, nothing ingenious.

What?? You got gypped.

Doesn't look like this?

cilgwyn

I must admit,I've never seen one like that before! (I must get out more?!! ::) ;D)

North Star

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 15, 2018, 08:03:23 AM
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the intricacies of the construction. But the simple answer is: BUY IT!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SymphonicAddict

It's been my first complete listen to the Sinfonia interna, and I have to say that this possesses sublime beauty, the most mystical and mellifluous side of this composer in complete display. The music is thoroughly enchanting, lyrical at its best. Here there is an extract from a review taken from MusicWeb:

"The history of Sinfonia Interna is complicated but can be summarised as follows. Sinfonia Interna was originally to have been Langgaard's Fourth Symphony. It is not to be confused with the Løvfald Symphony - the authorised number 4. It was completed in 1915-16 as a large scale 'stage symphony' in five sections uniting text, music and stage elements. Its grand scheme was Scriabinesque - designed under the influence of Theosophy to produce a transcendental, religious, mystical effect. It was discarded when a performance could not be secured. Its material resurfaced in other free-standing works. In the 1940s the composer considered reconstructing the sinfonia in a shortened form but without stage elements. This disc is an attempt to fulfil that proposal from original material all brought together by the world authority on Langgaard Bendt Viinholt Nielsen with reconstruction work done by Mike Cholewa.

The writing is luminous, never congested - a naturally legato, usually slow, following the undulations of some serenely beautiful inner landscape. The music also prompts memories of Delius's Village Romeo and Juliet - Act I. There are some operatic incursions to provide variety although I found that these segments did not fully convince. In the final Epilog you can hear the linkages between Delius (say Summer Night on the River) and the Danish musical heritage.

This is, quite simply, a glorious work, gloriously performed and resplendently recorded. A success on every count. Now how about, for just this once, shelving Elgar's Sea Pictures or Wagner's Wesendonck Lieder or Strauss's Four Last Songs and giving this Langgaard work a chance?
"

Once again, I like the connection and/or scope Langgaard tried to give his music, with the transcendental thing being a strong inspiration. It lets to see a spiritual man who wanted to write beautiful music, often inspired by God or religion, far from the extreme modernisms of the age. I wish he had lived longer and with much more recognition.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 05, 2019, 09:28:02 PM

It's been my first complete listen to the Sinfonia interna, and I have to say that this possesses sublime beauty, the most mystical and mellifluous side of this composer in complete display. The music is thoroughly enchanting, lyrical at its best. Here there is an extract from a review taken from MusicWeb:

"The history of Sinfonia Interna is complicated but can be summarised as follows. Sinfonia Interna was originally to have been Langgaard's Fourth Symphony. It is not to be confused with the Løvfald Symphony - the authorised number 4. It was completed in 1915-16 as a large scale 'stage symphony' in five sections uniting text, music and stage elements. Its grand scheme was Scriabinesque - designed under the influence of Theosophy to produce a transcendental, religious, mystical effect. It was discarded when a performance could not be secured. Its material resurfaced in other free-standing works. In the 1940s the composer considered reconstructing the sinfonia in a shortened form but without stage elements. This disc is an attempt to fulfil that proposal from original material all brought together by the world authority on Langgaard Bendt Viinholt Nielsen with reconstruction work done by Mike Cholewa.

The writing is luminous, never congested - a naturally legato, usually slow, following the undulations of some serenely beautiful inner landscape. The music also prompts memories of Delius's Village Romeo and Juliet - Act I. There are some operatic incursions to provide variety although I found that these segments did not fully convince. In the final Epilog you can hear the linkages between Delius (say Summer Night on the River) and the Danish musical heritage.

This is, quite simply, a glorious work, gloriously performed and resplendently recorded. A success on every count. Now how about, for just this once, shelving Elgar's Sea Pictures or Wagner's Wesendonck Lieder or Strauss's Four Last Songs and giving this Langgaard work a chance?
"

Once again, I like the connection and/or scope Langgaard tried to give his music, with the transcendental thing being a strong inspiration. It lets to see a spiritual man who wanted to write beautiful music, often inspired by God or religion, far from the extreme modernisms of the age. I wish he had lived longer and with much more recognition.
It has possibly the most beautiful opening of any work I know.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 06, 2019, 07:05:15 AM

I couldn't disagree with it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 05, 2019, 09:28:02 PM

"

One of my favorites
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 07, 2019, 05:23:46 PM
One of my favorites

Mine too! I listened to it again, and my sentiments were reaffirmed.

SymphonicAddict

Happy birthday, Rued!

Among the miniatures of this composer, Insektarium (9 puzzle pictures) is one of his most bizarre and original creations, portraying nine different insects. The pianist's gestures are just funny, fitted the quirky and irreverent music:

http://www.youtube.com/v/0Agbj1W_90s

http://www.youtube.com/v/DUr6dI33F1U

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 28, 2019, 03:00:30 PM
Happy birthday, Rued!

Among the miniatures of this composer, Insektarium (9 puzzle pictures) is one of his most bizarre and original creations, portraying nine different insects. The pianist's gestures are just funny, fitted the quirky and irreverent music:

http://www.youtube.com/v/0Agbj1W_90s

http://www.youtube.com/v/DUr6dI33F1U

Hilarious and rather enjoyable music. Thanks for posting this Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J

Quote from: vandermolen on May 06, 2019, 07:05:15 AM

Have had this CD for perhaps 2 decades and don't believe I ever listened (which happens).  Around somewhere, but can I find it?

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 29, 2019, 12:46:29 AM
Hilarious and rather enjoyable music. Thanks for posting this Cesar.

My pleasure! Glad you liked it!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: J on July 30, 2019, 08:28:06 AM
Have had this CD for perhaps 2 decades and don't believe I ever listened (which happens).  Around somewhere, but can I find it?

You should! It's poetic and mellifluous in a good way.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on July 30, 2019, 08:28:06 AM
I have that problem too. Eventually I give up, buy the work again and then almost immediately find the original CD ( ::) >:( >:D). Anyway, you have to find it to hear that beautiful opening!

MusicTurner

Nice to find a Korean, broadcasted performance of Langgaard's complete 1st Symphony, with a huge orchestra, passionate playing, an enthusiastic conductor knowing the score by heart, and a raving applause at the end ....  :)

Well done, Rued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatX5qo9V74