Langgaard's Lyre

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2018, 05:02:46 AM
Also yes because having Vienna record Norgard and Langgaard - and having New York record the Nielsen symphonies - suits not just their goal of making some money, but also their more cultural goal of making Danish music central to the world repertoire. I imagine that entering Langgaard into the Vienna Philharmonic repertoire would be a far greater goal for them than adding to the CD catalog.

This is very true. It's the Danish national label and its cultural goals are central to that.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2018, 05:22:36 AM
It is not as if recordings of any of the Langgaard symphonies are saturating the market  8)
Yeah, this isn't like DG doing another Bruckner cycle... *cough*

Karl Henning

Thank goodness you didn't say Shostakovich!  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SymphonicAddict

Just I've listened to the new release of the 6th Symphony under Oramo conducting the Vienna Philharmonic. Once more this work blows me away. I think the performance is terrific, clear, powerful. I've also noticed certain sonorities I didn't perceive in other performances (especially in that one by Järvi). The sonics are vibrant, great sound engineering in here. In terms of tempo, it's kind of similar to the Dausgaard recording. Despite the Coda was somewhat rushed as usual, I enjoyed this magnificent symphony very much. I can't get enough of that ending: one of my favorites ever, sheer thrill!!!

Tomorrow I'll listen to the other works on the CD.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 02, 2018, 04:04:31 PM
Just I've listened to the new release of the 6th Symphony under Oramo conducting the Vienna Philharmonic. Once more this work blows me away. I think the performance is terrific, clear, powerful. I've also noticed certain sonorities I didn't perceive in other performances (especially in that one by Järvi). The sonics are vibrant, great sound engineering in here. In terms of tempo, it's kind of similar to the Dausgaard recording. Despite the Coda was somewhat rushed as usual, I enjoyed this magnificent symphony very much. I can't get enough of that ending: one of my favorites ever, sheer thrill!!!

Great to hear Cesar! I've ordered this CD and can't wait to hear it.
Release date Sept. 14th over here according to Amazon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 02, 2018, 11:06:15 PM
Great to hear Cesar! I've ordered this CD and can't wait to hear it.
Release date Sept. 14th over here according to Amazon.

There is a high probability that you'll enjoy this stunning recording, Jeffrey! Hopefully the VPO will record the rest of the symphonies.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 02, 2018, 04:04:31 PM

Received this CD today - that ending of Symphony 6 and the performance as a whole is terrific. 'Unnoticed Morning Stars', for string orchestra, makes an eloquent postscript but it is the 6th Symphony that I shall return to. Totally agree with the comments above. I hope that they go on to record Symphony 4 and 10.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 14, 2018, 12:10:00 PM
Received this CD today - that ending of Symphony 6 and the performance as a whole is terrific. 'Unnoticed Morning Stars', for string orchestra, makes an eloquent postscript but it is the 6th Symphony that I shall return to. Totally agree with the comments above. I hope that they go on to record Symphony 4 and 10.

I've listened yo the 6th many times since its new release. It's really an exciting score.  I like the tempo Oramo gets, it allows to go under the work's skin. All is very good detailed. However, Järvi's rendition on Chandos remains my absolute predilect. This Vienna performance goes 2nd.

A new complete cycle wouldn't go wrong. These performances are promising.

Daverz

I'm sure Langaard would not be pleased to hear that the Symphony No. 6 sounds very much like Nielsen to me.

SymphonicAddict

From the 4th symphony on, I perceive a unique voice of his own. Personally I don't hear many Nielsen influences on the 6th Symphony. Langgaard took his path, a more esoteric one but conservative at the same time, and I like it. Besides, his originality in structures, the irreverence that he printed along with an imposing strength/power in works and eventually the titles of many his works, are some of the features why I find Langgaard's music so stimulating and unique. Possibly not a composer at the height of Nielsen or other major composers, but he's one that has given me so many terrific impressions.

vandermolen

Although Langgaard had a real grudge about Nielsen ('Karl Nielsen; Our Great Composer') there are traces of influence at times. I agree that the Chandos CD featuring symphonies 4,5 and 6 is my favourite Langgaard CD but I've enjoyed this new performance of Symphony 6 as well as the earlier one on Da Capo.

motoboy

Almost the right time of year for Lovfald, but with Hurricane Florence coming through here I guess I need to listen to Yon Hall of Thunder before we lose power...

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: motoboy on September 15, 2018, 06:32:51 PM
Almost the right time of year for Lovfald, but with Hurricane Florence coming through here I guess I need to listen to Yon Hall of Thunder before we lose power...

Either is good to hear! I hope there will not be important destructions.

SurprisedByBeauty

Latest on ClassicsToday about one of my secret favorites:

Loving Langgaard: Chamber Music Edition

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Ribe, eh?

Oldest town in Denmark. Pretty. I visited the cathedral.

Come to think of it, I might have seen Langgaard's name there...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

cilgwyn

There is a live broadcast of Langgaard's Music of the Spheres on Radio 3,this Thursday evening,from Glasgow Cathedral. Thomas Dausgard,the BBC Scottish SO,Rowan Pierce (soprano) and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Voices,are the performers. There will also be a talk,by the conductor,about Langgaard's music,

J.Z. Herrenberg

Great to see Langgaard loved and discussed. I'll have to buy that new CD then... I, too, hope that the VPO has been bitten by the Langgaard bug and will do a whole cycle.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

Well, that would be one helluva bug!  0:)  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA