Langgaard's Lyre

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 16, 2021, 08:52:38 AM
And BTW, DG is also recording a complete Nielsen symphonies set with Fabio Luisi and the Danish National Symphony O.

It has been set for release in April 2022, unless corona delays it.

I seem to remember the Violin Concerto news also pictured Luisi. Maybe-maybe we might even get the three concertos from DG too, then.

Good to see DG interest for a wider range of symphonists recently, cf. the Ives and Franz Schmidt complete symphonies sets, etc.

Yep, DG will be releasing a Nielsen cycle with Luisi and the Danish NSO:

https://slippedisc.com/2021/04/label-news-dg-signs-luisi/

I'm actually pretty excited for this one as I think Luisi is a superb conductor.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 16, 2021, 09:26:10 AM
(...)

I'm actually pretty excited for this one as I think Luisi is a superb conductor.

Totally agree!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on November 15, 2021, 10:16:51 PM
Most interesting Cesar and thanks for posting it. He comes across rather as I imagine him. I'd liked to have heard him asked about his views on Nielsen!

My pleasure, Jeffrey. Certainly, that would have been interesting to read!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 16, 2021, 07:03:53 AM
It's difficult to imagine what kind of composer Langgaard would have developed into if he had achieved international success, but, honestly, what I find puzzling is even though Nielsen is the "greatest" Danish composer, it seems that even his star has faded nowadays.

According to my perception, the composers who are getting all the attention these days are Bruckner, Beethoven and many other Austro-German guys.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 16, 2021, 07:10:55 AM
Regarding Langgaard's hostility towards Nielsen, it has been pointed out that there are actually also similarities in their production; the 6th symphony is often put forward in that respect. The hostility was, among other things, psychological, or idiosyncratic. Though with Nielsen, you don't see the same level of old-school, religiously influenced thinking, and musical nostalgia.

There are a few musical similarities between both, but the last statement does point out some significant differences.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 16, 2021, 08:52:38 AM
And BTW, DG is also recording a complete Nielsen symphonies set with Fabio Luisi and the Danish National Symphony O.

It has been set for release in April 2022, unless corona delays it.

I seem to remember the Violin Concerto news also pictured Luisi. Maybe-maybe we might even get the three concertos from DG too, then.

Good to see DG interest for a wider range of symphonists recently, cf. the Ives and Franz Schmidt complete symphonies sets, etc.

Most interesting. Thanks for the good news.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 16, 2021, 06:23:03 PM
According to my perception, the composers who are getting all the attention these days are Bruckner, Beethoven and many other Austro-German guys.

Indeed. It seems Bruckner is getting recorded more and more --- not that I'm opposed to that as I love this composer, but it would be nice to see some composers who haven't had the same kind of exposure get more attention.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 16, 2021, 06:23:03 PM

Rather a reversion, then.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

I found this excellent article-review about his Fourth Symphony Løvfald worth reading. It contains the context of the work, the number of performances, etc.

I was delighted to read this, and I agree with Jens Cornelius on his appreciations, the author of that blog.

I had to cheat, because it's in Danish, so Google Translator to the rescue!  0:)

http://www.jenscornelius.dk/langgaards-loevfald-symfoni-nr-4/

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

Jens Cornelius... doesn't he write a tonne of the liner notes on Da Capo releases?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Yes, given his production I thought he was much older, but actually he was born in 1968. Has a website.

MusicTurner

This year's Langgaard 2022 Festival in the attractive old town of Ribe takes place in early September. Other composers there, juxtaposed with Langggaard, will be Per Nørgård (who is turning 90 this year) and the electronic music pioneer Else Marie Pade.

http://langgaardfestival.dk/shortcodes/schedule/

Due to some fine initiatives, the work with a Langgaard permanent exhibition is proceeding; it will be placed in Ribe's 500-year old former Town Hall / Det Gamle Rådhus building, also used for weddings etc. According to rumours, exhibitions will include his old Bechstein piano, likely also used for concerts there ... I visited Ribe a couple of years ago, and there are a (very) few Langgaard items exhibited in the town's cathedral, where he worked, as well.

http://www.historie-online.dk/nyheder-og-aktiviteter-2-2/rued-langgaard-museum-i-ribe
https://www.sydvestjyskemuseer.dk/da/generel-information/aktuelt-oversigt/2020/rued-langgaard-museum-paa-vej-i-ribe/ (Danish)

https://www.vadehavskysten.com/ribe-esbjerg-fano/ribe-esbjerg-fano/old-town-hall-ribe-gdk610602
https://twitter.com/CorneliusJens/status/1522614174118993924

Madiel

I've been to the cathedral. *rummages through photos*
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Sakari Oramo and the Berlin Philharmonic are performing Langgaard's Symphony No. 1 whose recording will be available this autumn.

https://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/news/dacapo-records-enters-into-cooperation-with-legendary-orchestra-for-a-danish-outsiders-first

It'll be interesting to perceive how this orchestra will embrace this titan more than 100 years after its premiere.

Noam Chomsky

MusicTurner

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 14, 2022, 07:19:30 PM
Sakari Oramo and the Berlin Philharmonic are performing Langgaard's Symphony No. 1 whose recording will be available this autumn.

https://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/news/dacapo-records-enters-into-cooperation-with-legendary-orchestra-for-a-danish-outsiders-first

It'll be interesting to perceive how this orchestra will embrace this titan more than 100 years after its premiere.

Interesting news, thank you. It will be the 4th recording after Stupel, Segerstam and Dausgaard, but besides the historical references with Berlin and the prestigiousness of it, I suppose Dacapo has concluded that Oramo's recording of the 2nd and 6th symphonies earned enough success to do this one as well.

Overall, the re-recording projects from Dacapo have been justified I think, but on the other hand, there's also some relevant stuff by Danish composers, that need premiere recordings - for example the last Nørholm symphonies, more N V Bentzon, Tarp and Klenau, Westergaard, Maegaard, Borup Jørgensen, Flemming Weis, Svend S Schultz, Sten Pade, Thyboe and Ebbe Hamerik, to mention some, besides a lot of younger composers.

Yet, as a whole, the state- and foundation-supported  Dacapo catalogue has developed incredibly and now documents a lot of overlooked or rare material, that one could only dream of decades ago. And by Langgaard, there's only little not already recorded, if any. The same applies to Carl Nielsen, N W Gade and Per Nørgård, for example, though some releases may be out of print, on more or less obscure labels (Kontrapunkt, Paula, Classico/CDklassisk and Point especially, and of course with BIS, Bridge and Danacord having contributed substantially too).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Good news! I also like the fact that this recording is only part of a three-day mini-festival around Langgaard in Berlin. All good!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Wanderer

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on June 14, 2022, 10:39:55 PM
Good news! I also like the fact that this recording is only part of a three-day mini-festival around Langgaard in Berlin. All good!

Good news, indeed! I'll be waiting for this release of Langgaard's Symphony No. 1 with interest. And hopefully more recordings from these concerts will be released in due time.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 14, 2022, 07:19:30 PM

I'll definitely purchase this recording when it's available. Thanks for mentioning it, Cesar. I love Langgaard and think his 1st symphony is exquisite.

relm1

Sakari Oramo's Berlin Philharmonic recording of Langgaard's Symphony No. 1 has just been released and is solid but measured (respectable).  Perhaps that is a result of this being Berlin where it needs to be respectful.  Nothing is wrong, it just isn't a high octane or risky interpretation.  I think that's the general problem with Langgaard.  He rides the boundary of experimental and safe.  This work straddles Richard Strauss opulence but Brahms conservatism too.