Langgaard's Lyre

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

This week I will investigate the Sinfonia interna, of which I have greatly enjoyed (* nods in the direction of Louisiana *) initial clips.

bhodges

I've heard a few of his chamber works, which I liked (and can't recall at the moment) and still have this DVD of Antikrist on the "to listen to" pile.  (If I'm ever at home, I'll get around to it. ;D

Several here have raved about it, and I just saw another favorable article in a recent issue of Opera News.

--Bruce

not edward

I would nominate this as the Langgaard disc everyone should own:

I also have some of the DaCapo discs (some chamber music including the complete string quartets, plus symphonies 4-8). There is some good stuff in there (particularly the 6th symphony) but nothing quite as mindblowing as Music of the Spheres.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

I have a disc, too, of organ works, all of them lovely.

Wanderer

I particularly enjoy this one:

The First Symphony is a work of youth, grand and majestic whereas Fra Dybet, a late work, is a deeply felt Requiem prayer. The performances are exemplary and the recording of the massive forces impressive.

uffeviking

Quote from: edward on April 25, 2007, 11:56:32 AM
I would nominate this as the Langgaard disc everyone should own:

I second that! John Frandsen conducted it also, with the same orchestra, but somehow the Russian seems to be catching the atmosphere better than the Dane.

uffeviking

Quote from: bhodges on April 25, 2007, 11:49:16 AM
have this DVD of Antikrist on the "to listen to" pile. 

--Bruce

Bruce, leave it there!  8) In fact maybe shift it to the very bottom. I have tried three times now to know what it is all about, without success. Of course if want to evaluate strictly the musical aspect of it, the technical side, you might like it. Maybe I should just listen to it and ignore the action.  :-\

What did Opera News say about it? In favour or thumbs down?

cx

Has anyone heard the later symphonies? I have 1, 4, 5 and 6 and enjoy all of them. I wonder if the rest of the batch (as there are quite a few left) are worth investigating.

uffeviking

Yes, I have all sixteen of them. No. 7 to 16 conducted by Ilya Stupel the Anton Rubinstein PO. I am a big fan of Langgaard so my judgement might be a bit biased. In the beginning I had trouble identifying which number it was I was hearing when I played them at random. I am still learning, but I enjoy this learning process. I think one has to be really dedicated to Langgaard to become thoroughly acquainted with all 16.

Interspersing them with any of his other works makes this task easier. One of my favorite 'entertainments' in between his symphonies is his Insectarium piano composition!  8)

Robert

Quote from: CS on April 25, 2007, 01:54:31 PM
Has anyone heard the later symphonies? I have 1, 4, 5 and 6 and enjoy all of them. I wonder if the rest of the batch (as there are quite a few left) are worth investigating.
CS
If you have 4 6 and Music of the spheres  IMHO those are his best pieces, investigating maybe his tenth and his string quartets.....

vandermolen

He's one of my favourites. CD below contains his finest music (that I'm aware of). Symphony No 4 is his greatest (IMHO).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Langgaard-Orchestral-Works-Rued/dp/B00005AG71/ref=pd_bowtega_3/026-0945451-0042845?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177571978&sr=1-3
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bhodges

Quote from: uffeviking on April 25, 2007, 01:35:08 PM
Bruce, leave it there!  8) In fact maybe shift it to the very bottom. I have tried three times now to know what it is all about, without success. Of course if want to evaluate strictly the musical aspect of it, the technical side, you might like it. Maybe I should just listen to it and ignore the action.  :-\

What did Opera News say about it? In favour or thumbs down?

Oh sorry, Lis, I thought you liked it!?  ???  (Maybe I mis-remembered.)

Opera News had quite the glowing review, perhaps surprisingly.  It was their featured recording, at the beginning of their reviews section, and they liked the cast, sets -- everything -- although it definitely sounds a bit unconventional.  But the comments made me even more eager to see it.

--Bruce

uffeviking

You and Opera News convinced me I have to watch Antikrist again. Either I have tried too hard to understand it, or not hard enough. Maybe a Christian belief or involvement in any organised god related club might help!  :-\

I did like the music and I loved the voices, I even admired the set and acting, but it's the complex meaning I didn't get. You watch it, Luv, and then enlighten me!  ;D

springrite

I have all the symphonies. While not remembering every little detail right now, I do remember my favorites are among the middle ones. His later ones are the ones that are the weakest in my view.

Overall, his best work hands down is still Music of the Spheres. If you are just going to get 3 CDs, get the Music of the Spheres, and symphonies 3 through 6 (or thereabout).

PerfectWagnerite

Back to Antikrist, my copy arrived from Amazon yesterday:

On the Amazon website it says it is a hybrid-SACD but on the actual CD set it only says SACD (you can sort of see it in the image). So is it hybrid or not??? I don't have a SACD player and I don't want to open it to find out. At least if it is not hybrid I can return it.

uffeviking

Compared my issue with the one you posted and the only difference I see is an icon on the upper left hand side Cubus. On the back there is not mention of SACD or hybrid-SACD, only that it is NTSC compatible.

I thought SACD discs can be played on regular machines also, wrong?  ???

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: uffeviking on April 27, 2007, 08:34:29 AM
Compared my issue with the one you posted and the only difference I see is an icon on the upper left hand side Cubus. On the back there is not mention of SACD or hybrid-SACD, only that it is NTSC compatible.

I thought SACD discs can be played on regular machines also, wrong?  ???

Oh, you have the DVD:

and I have some incarnation of the CD:

Only hybrid-SACDs play on regular CD players (I think). If you get just a SACD it only plays on a SACD player (again, I think).

not edward

Spent some time reviewing much of the orchestral Langgaard that I have: Music of the Spheres and symphonies 4-8 (including both versions of the 5th).

Music of the Spheres is certainly the mindblowing standout, but the 4th and 6th symphonies are both very strong pieces and would probably be better known but for Nielsen's pre-eminence.

It's amazing to think that Langgaard had written these last three works by his mid-twenties--surely amongst the most accomplished music written by a composer in his 20s in this century. By all rights he should have developed into a major figure: what went wrong?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Wanderer

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 27, 2007, 08:39:38 AM
Only hybrid-SACDs play on regular CD players. If you get just a SACD it only plays on a SACD player.

Correct. Hybrid-SACDs (almost the totality of titles currently available, apart from some releases from the early days of the format) have an extra CD layer that enables them to be played on CD players. Anyhow, the nature of the disc (hybrid or not) is always mentioned on the cover.

Kullervo