Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on January 25, 2023, 04:21:17 PMWhat do you think of Bernstein's/CSO?  That interpretation brought Maxim Shostakovich to teers as it was a live performance, and he was in the audience.  To me, that is the pinnacle of this work to which all other interpretations are compared.  Yes, yes, it is Shostakovich by way of Mahler but that is also the essence of Shostakovich.

If you have any interest in this work the Bernstein/CSO performance MUST be heard.  That does not mean it is the "best" or whatever but it is a quite unique and utterly compelling interpretation backed up by remarkable playing by the Chicago All Stars.

Brahmsian

Hello, I am considering obtaining one of the following three complete symphony cycles:

A - Wigglesworth
B - Jansons
C - Rostropovich

Out of these three, if anyone has listened to all and wants to vet for a certain set, I appreciate the feedback. Even if one hasn't obtained all these sets but wants to make a strong case for a particular listed above set, feel free to chime in! :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 13, 2023, 07:51:50 AMHello, I am considering obtaining one of the following three complete symphony cycles:

A - Wigglesworth
B - Jansons
C - Rostropovich

Out of these three, if anyone has listened to all and wants to vet for a certain set, I appreciate the feedback. Even if one hasn't obtained all these sets but wants to make a strong case for a particular listed above set, feel free to chime in! :)

I especially like the Tenth and Fifteenth in the Jansons set, Ray.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on February 13, 2023, 08:20:28 AMI especially like the Tenth and Fifteenth in the Jansons set, Ray.

Duly noted, Karl. Thank you! 🙂

Jo498

Jansons is with edit: 8 different orchestras, some also recorded live, so it's a bit uneven in several respects. I don't remember many details but overall it's quite good and worth trying.
I don't know any of the others mentioned but seem to recall that Rostropovich was found a bit disappointing in some review (but people might have expect "too much" from a musician close to the composer).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brahmsian

Quote from: Jo498 on February 13, 2023, 08:38:41 AMJansons is with edit: 8 different orchestras, some also recorded live, so it's a bit uneven in several respects. I don't remember many details but overall it's quite good and worth trying.
I don't know any of the others mentioned but seem to recall that Rostropovich was found a bit disappointing in some review (but people might have expect "too much" from a musician close to the composer).

Thank you Jo!

JBS

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 13, 2023, 07:51:50 AMHello, I am considering obtaining one of the following three complete symphony cycles:

A - Wigglesworth
B - Jansons
C - Rostropovich

Wigglesworth: I thought I had a recording of the Eleventh by him on the Arte Nova label, but there seems to be no such recording. So no opinion on him.

Rostropovich: I think his LSO recordings of the Eighth and Eleventh are the best performances of those symphonies by anyone--but the full cycle doesn't really match that.

Jansons: I have about half his cycle as individual issues, and think they're quite good.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

For what it's worth, Jansons was one of my 2 finalists when I was choosing a cycle. So he was my runner-up (the winner is not one of your options).

While I didn't listen to the complete performances, I definitely had positive impressions of the samples that I tried across all the symphonies. And in general that cycle seems to be pretty highly regarded. Despite the wide variety of orchestras used, it's considered a consistent set.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brahmsian

Thank you for your feedback, Ephraim and Madiel.  :)

aukhawk

I have several of the Wiggles - he very much tends towards slow, which I quite like but it would be too much for some.  More problematic is the very wide dynamic BIS recordings - I cannot listen without riding the volume control all the time.
I would also commend Caetani (errs on the very fast side, fabulous podiums-ear-view live recordings) and Kitajenko (modern but very Soviet-sounding performances and recordings).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aukhawk on February 14, 2023, 08:46:25 AMI have several of the Wiggles - he very much tends towards slow, which I quite like but it would be too much for some.  More problematic is the very wide dynamic BIS recordings - I cannot listen without riding the volume control all the time.
I would also commend Caetani (errs on the very fast side, fabulous podiums-ear-view live recordings) and Kitajenko (modern but very Soviet-sounding performances and recordings).

I would have suggested both Kitajenko and Caetani as interesting/individual takes as well and Barshai for a good to very good 'safe' cycle as another option.  Personally I'd put any of those 3 over Wigglesworth.  I have the Jansons set but actually have listened to it too little to comment.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 14, 2023, 08:54:46 AMI would have suggested both Kitajenko and Caetani as interesting/individual takes as well and Barshai for a good to very good 'safe' cycle as another option.  Personally I'd put any of those 3 over Wigglesworth.  I have the Jansons set but actually have listened to it too little to comment.

I do have the Barshai and Petrenko sets, which I enjoy immensely and equally.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aukhawk on February 14, 2023, 08:46:25 AMI have several of the Wiggles - he very much tends towards slow, which I quite like but it would be too much for some.  More problematic is the very wide dynamic BIS recordings - I cannot listen without riding the volume control all the time.

Thanks for mentioning both of those points out. Both would be cause for avoidance from me. I definitely have a tendency to prefer tempos on the brisker side.

Madiel

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 14, 2023, 08:56:59 AMI do have the Barshai and Petrenko sets, which I enjoy immensely and equally.

Petrenko was my winner. I do have vague memories that Jansons was somewhat similar in style from my sampling.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 14, 2023, 08:56:59 AMI do have the Barshai and Petrenko sets, which I enjoy immensely and equally.

Throw in Kondrashin and those are my three favorite box sets.