Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

I have recently purchased the Barshai set and I don't think it is all that it is cranked up to be. The only real reason to buy it is the price, since if you really want a Russian recording, I see no reason not to get Kondrashin.

I don't know all the symphonies well and some not at all, but for those I do know, I really do quite like Haitink. His 5th, for example, is very satisfying (despite the fact that some people slag it off); his sense and straightforward approach is quite refreshing in a catalogue of Russian conductors who sound like they are on crack cocaine. And there is definately a power in these interpretations; Haitink takes a slow burning, controlled Karajan-esqe approachas opposed to the explosions of Kondrashin, for example. And I think that suits the 5th. I would also imagine that it also suits the 15th but I have not heard it.

Nevertheless, I still think in some of the symphonies, nobody comes close to Mravinsky, who is an absolutely wonderful conductor in my view (having enjoyed a drive home last night listening to his brilliant Tchaikovsky 5). His Shostakovich 8th is unsurpassed. Bleak, harrowing and brillianty performed; so much so it seems absurd listening to it in the summer. It is definately one for longsome dark winter nights.Try comparing that particular recording with Barshai; it makes the latter's interpretation seem like a nursery rhyme.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Michel on April 27, 2007, 03:16:09 AM
I have recently purchased the Barshai set and I don't think it is all that it is cranked up to be. The only real reason to buy it is the price...

Nevertheless, I still think in some of the symphonies, nobody comes close to Mravinsky, who is an absolutely wonderful conductor in my view (having enjoyed a drive home last night listening to his brilliant Tchaikovsky 5). His Shostakovich 8th is unsurpassed. Bleak, harrowing and brillianty performed; so much so it seems absurd listening to it in the summer. It is definately one for longsome dark winter nights.Try comparing that particular recording with Barshai; it makes the latter's interpretation seem like a nursery rhyme.

Which Mravinsky 8th? I have his Philips recording and putting that along side Barshai makes Mravinsky seem banal.

And the Barshai set isn't so cheap anymore (at least in the States). So budgetary consideration is no longer the prime reason for buying this set. It's the quality of Barshai's performances that make it recommendable.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: donwyn on April 25, 2007, 09:14:14 PM
Barshai has bits of both approaches in his renditions. Greater dynamics and bolder than either yet all the while keeping everything tucked and organized with a fine muscular grip. Contrasts swing wide and sound more, well, "Russian" yet transparency is an essential ingredient in his approach. We can see straight through Shostakovich's complex and multi-layered textures and are granted an 'insiders' view of the workings. It's a t[h]rill.

I sure like the sound of this, Don. Have you heard the Kondrashin?  If so, how does he fit into the mix?

Michel

Quote from: donwyn on April 27, 2007, 06:36:27 AM
Which Mravinsky 8th? I have his Philips recording and putting that along side Barshai makes Mravinsky seem banal.

And the Barshai set isn't so cheap anymore (at least in the States). So budgetary consideration is no longer the prime reason for buying this set. It's the quality of Barshai's performances that make it recommendable.

What do you mean by Banal? And, as George said, are you suggesting Barshai should be selected over Kondrashin?! Thats madness!

Harry

Quote from: donwyn on April 27, 2007, 06:36:27 AM

Agreed wholeheartily. :)

Harry

Quote from: Michel on April 27, 2007, 07:53:44 AM
What do you mean by Banal? And, as George said, are you suggesting Barshai should be selected over Kondrashin?! Thats madness!

I put it the other way around my friend, the opinion that Barshai is below Kondrashin is madness!
I cannot expect that everyone has the same opinion, and that's fine, but to annihilate the efforts of Barshai is indeed banal.

George

Quote from: Michel on April 27, 2007, 07:53:44 AM

You misunderstand George.

He never said any such thing.  :-\

Michel

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2007, 09:17:33 AM
I put it the other way around my friend, the opinion that Barshai is below Kondrashin is madness!
I cannot expect that everyone has the same opinion, and that's fine, but to annihilate the efforts of Barshai is indeed banal.

Right, thats it. I've just ordered Haitink and Kondrashin. I'm going to put this issue to bed over the next few months!!!  ;D ;D

karlhenning

We will read the results of your discovery of these sets with interest, Michel:)

Michel

Thanks Karl, I think I'll do a symphony by symphony approach, starting with those I know best. The 5th, 8th, 11th and 15th. Also, does anyone have a view on Rozhdestvensky?

karlhenning

I've heard his Shostakovich Fourth, which is very good, though again one wishes the orchestra and recording were a match for the conductor.

And of course he's great on the megaphone in Järvi's recording of the Prokofiev October Cantata  ;)

Steve

Quote from: Michel on April 27, 2007, 09:57:32 AM
Right, thats it. I've just ordered Haitink and Kondrashin. I'm going to put this issue to bed over the next few months!!!  ;D ;D

When you revisit it, perhps you will give the Jansons a listen?

Michel

Quote from: Steve on April 27, 2007, 12:16:31 PM
When you revisit it, perhps you will give the Jansons a listen?

Which symphony, or do you mean all of them!?

Steve

Michel

Quote from: Steve on April 27, 2007, 12:29:08 PM
Nos 14 and 15 would do.  :)

I saw Jansons do Mahler 6th a couple of years ago; a good, very good performance but not amazingly memorable. I would quite like to hear him in 15, certainly, I could see that as enjoyable. Not so sure about the more extreme symphonies, though.

MishaK

I heard Jansons live with the Concertgebouw at Carnegie do a phenomenal 7th, February last year. Absolutely superlative playing by the orchestra. I gather there is a live recording on the RCO live label, but I haven't heard that or any of his other Shosty recordings, so I don't know how they measure up to my live experience.

Michel

Oh good lord I've got a problem. I've just ordered Jansons complete cycle too. So in one day I've ordered three complete cycles!!!!!

Still, this was relatively cheap too, so what the heck!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Michel on April 27, 2007, 02:51:57 PM
Oh good lord I've got a problem. I've just ordered Jansons complete cycle too. So in one day I've ordered three complete cycles!!!!!

Michel - GREAT!  I was 'eyeing' that Jansons cycle for my initial choice of a complete set, so will look forward to your comments on his performances, and of course the other sets purchased!  :D

Steve

Quote from: Michel on April 27, 2007, 02:51:57 PM

Wise choice  :)

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on April 27, 2007, 01:14:49 PM
I heard Jansons live with the Concertgebouw at Carnegie do a phenomenal 7th, February last year. Absolutely superlative playing by the orchestra. I gather there is a live recording on the RCO live label, but I haven't heard that or any of his other Shosty recordings, so I don't know how they measure up to my live experience.

I was at that concert, too!   :o

--Bruce