Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

Quote from: bhodges on April 27, 2007, 03:11:14 PM
I was at that concert, too!   :o

--Bruce

Are you, like, stalking me or something?

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on April 27, 2007, 03:13:48 PM

Are you, like, stalking me or something?

It is a little weird... ;D...if we ever meet in person, I'll probably go, "Oh, you're THAT guy..."  ;D

Seriously, as with most venues here, many of the same faces populate the same events.  I'm going to hear Pollini at Carnegie on Sunday -- are you going to that one?  ;D -- and I suspect I'll see some of the same faces that show up for most good piano recitals.

--Bruce

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Michel on April 27, 2007, 02:51:57 PM
Oh good lord I've got a problem. I've just ordered Jansons complete cycle too. So in one day I've ordered three complete cycles!!!!!

Still, this was relatively cheap too, so what the heck!

That's certainly quite a haul, Michel! And one that should bring you many lasting returns.

What you'll no doubt discover is that what makes one conductor tick doesn't necessarily make another tick. Jansons, Kondrashin, and Haitink each have very individual things to say about Shostakovich. And each equally valid.

And, really, I don't think I'd have it any other way! A "one size fits all" approach to Shostakovich (or any music!) for me takes all the fun out of the exploration.

As far as my preference for Barshai over Mravinsky, or Kondrashin, or whomever...it's simply that: preference. In fact, on the old board I had a very lengthy and edifying (and HIGHLY entertaining!!) discussion about this very issue with the Master of Sidozery (where are you, Tony?!? ;D). M Forever chipped in as well. If you're interested in reading it, look here. The discussion lasts a couple of pages so keep scrolling! 

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on April 27, 2007, 06:43:58 AM

I sure like the sound of this, Don. Have you heard the Kondrashin?  If so, how does he fit into the mix?

George,

I have Kondrashin's 5, 9, 10, & 13.

If my above link doesn't answer all your questions, feel free to query me further. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Michel

Quote from: donwyn on April 27, 2007, 08:09:19 PM
That's certainly quite a haul, Michel! And one that should bring you many lasting returns.

What you'll no doubt discover is that what makes one conductor tick doesn't necessarily make another tick. Jansons, Kondrashin, and Haitink each have very individual things to say about Shostakovich. And each equally valid.

And, really, I don't think I'd have it any other way! A "one size fits all" approach to Shostakovich (or any music!) for me takes all the fun out of the exploration.

As far as my preference for Barshai over Mravinsky, or Kondrashin, or whomever...it's simply that: preference. In fact, on the old board I had a very lengthy and edifying (and HIGHLY entertaining!!) discussion about this very issue with the Master of Sidozery (where are you, Tony?!? ;D). M Forever chipped in as well. If you're interested in reading it, look here. The discussion lasts a couple of pages so keep scrolling! 

Thank you Don, for that link. I actually remember that discussion at the time, but it was good to refresh my memory. I actually don't think it gets to the root of the issue in really comparing the different conductors and what they are trying to achieve. And by that I mean Haitink was clearly trying to convey something quite different from Kondrashin, for example. And I know you now take the view that they are all good recordings, just different, which is always a useful and admirable perspective to take, but I would like these ideas fleshed out a little more, and discussed as single symphony recordings rather than en masse, as they are quite varied, aren't they? And this is what I intend to do. The thing I can't see a this point in time, is what Jansons is going to bring to the party...but, we will have to wait and see!

Michel

I suppose he is certainly bringing this to the party, that is at least interesting:

"Jansons uses no fewer than eight different ensembles, and it's remarkable how he maintains interpretive consistency."

And, perhaps if this is true (although this does not consider Barshai, strangely, which would seem to offer this too):

"This is the middle ground between the sheer hysteria evoked by Kondrashin and Mravinsky and the dark warmth found in Haitink's Concertgebouw Orchestra recordings."

MishaK

Quote from: bhodges on April 27, 2007, 03:16:09 PM
It is a little weird... ;D...if we ever meet in person, I'll probably go, "Oh, you're THAT guy..."  ;D

Seriously, as with most venues here, many of the same faces populate the same events.  I'm going to hear Pollini at Carnegie on Sunday -- are you going to that one?  ;D -- and I suspect I'll see some of the same faces that show up for most good piano recitals.

--Bruce

Well, now that I've moved to Chicago, the risk of that happening has been reduced. I did come to NY two weeks ago to hear the Saturday performance of the Magic Flute at the BAM. Did you go to that?  ;)

BachQ

Reading through this thread, it appears that the three sets to acquire are the Barshai, Jansons, and Kondrashin complete symphony cycles.

Has anyone heard all three (3) sets so as to compare/contrast them?  If I were to purchase only one set, could I go wrong with the Jansons?  Or do I need all three?

Also, I don't care for symphonies 1,2 and 3 . . . . . . at least for now . . . . . .

Michel

Quote from: D Minor on May 01, 2007, 12:17:36 PM
Reading through this thread, it appears that the three sets to acquire are the Barshai, Jansons, and Kondrashin complete symphony cycles.

Has anyone heard all three (3) sets so as to compare/contrast them?  If I were to purchase only one set, could I go wrong with the Jansons?  Or do I need all three?

Also, I don't care for symphonies 1,2 and 3 . . . . . . at least for now . . . . . .

Kondrashin is expensive. Haitink can be picked up for a good price on the new re-release. But I am going to write something hopefully intelligent about these over the coming weeks.

Don

Quote from: Michel on May 01, 2007, 12:19:54 PM
Kondrashin is expensive.

The set only costs about $8 per disc.  That's not much for the best Shostakovich cycle on the market.

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on April 28, 2007, 05:46:35 AM
Well, now that I've moved to Chicago, the risk of that happening has been reduced. I did come to NY two weeks ago to hear the Saturday performance of the Magic Flute at the BAM. Did you go to that?  ;)

Alas, no (not to digress from DSCH).  But then, I'm not a huge fan of the opera...

--Bruce

BachQ

Quote from: Michel on May 01, 2007, 12:19:54 PM
Kondrashin is expensive. Haitink can be picked up for a good price on the new re-release. But I am going to write something hopefully intelligent about these over the coming weeks.

Excellent.  I'm very much looking forward to that . . . . . .

Prices @ AMAZON MARKETPLACE (USA):

Barshai = $55
Jansons = $51
Kondrashin = $79
Haitink (2006) = $49.99

BachQ

Quote from: Don on May 01, 2007, 12:22:18 PM
The set only costs about $8 per disc.  That's not much for the best Shostakovich cycle on the market.

That's true.  Maybe Kondrashin is the way to go . . . . . . .  But now Haitink is looking pretty sweet . . . . . .

Michel

Quote from: Don on May 01, 2007, 12:22:18 PM

Are you referring to the recently re-released Melodiya one? I agree even at £50 this is not expensive, but it is still at least double the others.

Don

Quote from: Michel on May 01, 2007, 01:07:01 PM
Are you referring to the recently re-released Melodiya one? I agree even at £50 this is not expensive, but it is still at least double the others.

Sorry, but I can't get excited about price when great music-making is involved (except when some pig is trying to gouge consumers).

Steve

Quote from: D Minor on May 01, 2007, 12:24:34 PM

Barshai = $55
Jansons = $51
Kondrashin = $79
Haitink (2006) = $49.99

D Minor, I have two cycles already (Jansons and Barshai), and was considering the Kondrashin, but at the 49.99, I might have to give the Haitink another look.

Could the Kondrashin be cheaper any place else?

Michel

Quote from: Don on May 01, 2007, 01:11:38 PM
Sorry, but I can't get excited about price when great music-making is involved (except when some pig is trying to gouge consumers).

That is true for you but not necessarily for others, though. And since you have already made your mind up, I was trying to help someone else who might use economy as a measure! :)

I for one certainly don't use economy as a measure; after all, I've just gone and needlessly bought them all.

Steve

Quote from: Michel on May 01, 2007, 01:32:02 PM
That is true for you but not necessarily for others, though. And since you have already made your mind up, I was trying to help someone else who might use economy as a measure! :)

I for one certainly don't use economy as a measure; after all, I've just gone and needlessly bought them all.

Agreed. That Kondrashin is looking mighty expensive from my end. Especially given that I already own two cycles!

SonicMan46

Quote from: D Minor on May 01, 2007, 12:24:34 PM

Barshai = $55
Jansons = $51
Kondrashin = $79
Haitink (2006) = $49.99

Guys - looks like the four cycles listed by D Minor have come to the 'top' for choices in this symphony series - think that I'm still favoring Jansons for my first 'complete cyle' - all seem quite acceptable, though; I guess Barshai or Kondrashin would be my other choices, but I must admit that I do own Haitink in a couple of these works, so 'how' to choose.  Still will await Michel's thoughts on the Jansons' series - thanks for all of the opinions - just a hard decision, esp. if only one set is your choice -  :D

George

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 01:47:17 PM
Agreed. That Kondrashin is looking mighty expensive from my end. Especially given that I already own two cycles!

Go for it! We need another opinion of all three!  ;D