Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

George! For shame! Would you lay a snare at a friend's feet?  0:)

Steve

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2007, 03:52:19 PM
George! For shame! Would you lay a snare at a friend's feet?  0:)

For the greater good, Karl

George

BachQ

Quote from: SonicMan on May 01, 2007, 03:29:21 PM
Guys - looks like the four cycles listed by D Minor have come to the 'top' for choices in this symphony series - think that I'm still favoring Jansons for my first 'complete cyle' - all seem quite acceptable, though; I guess Barshai or Kondrashin would be my other choices, but I must admit that I do own Haitink in a couple of these works, so 'how' to choose.  Still will await Michel's thoughts on the Jansons' series - thanks for all of the opinions - just a hard decision, esp. if only one set is your choice -  :D

I was leaning toward Jansons earlier today, but now I'm leaning toward Kondrashin . . . . . . and I DO NOT feel like buying both . . . . . .

George

This is what finally convinced me to get (at the next opportunity) to get the Kondrashin.

From the Music Web review:

"What about the choice between Kondrashin, Rozhdestvensky (Olympia if you can find this set), Barshai (Brilliant) and Haitink (Decca)? Rozhdestvensky has a good sense of fantasy and brilliance and is aided by 1980s Russian sound. Barshai is excellent and in very good modern sound - German Radio originated. Haitink always strikes me as having knocked some of the rough edges from Shostakovich. I'd prefer mine with those jagged corners still in place. Haitink is at the bottom of my recommendation list. I'd rate Rozhdestvensky at about the same level as Barshai but would recommend Barshai as the best modern-sounding version. However if you want Shostakovich raw and rasping, red in tooth and claw, smarting with vitriolic humour, and do not have a problem with the gloriously distinctive sound of the Soviet brass then there is now no choice - Kondrashin on Aulos. Snap it up before it disappears. Ideally you should have both Barshai and the Kondrashin."

Steve

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 03:56:10 PM
So when does it arrive?  ;D

It's just now been purchased. My, I really thought I was going to stop at 2  ;D

George

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 04:13:10 PM
It's just now been purchased. My I really thought I was going to stop at 2  ;D

I'll visit you in collector's rehab.  ;D

Steve

Quote from: D Minor on May 01, 2007, 04:08:49 PM

I was leaning toward Jansons earlier today, but now I'm leaning toward Kondrashin . . . . . . and I DO NOT feel like buying both . . . . . .

I'm sure you'll end up with both in good time.  :)

Steve

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 04:14:00 PM
I'll visit you in collector's rehab.  ;D

You should see my to buy list this week...  :)

BachQ

Quote from: George on May 01, 2007, 04:12:21 PM
However if you want Shostakovich raw and rasping, red in tooth and claw, smarting with vitriolic humour, and do not have a problem with the gloriously distinctive sound of the Soviet brass then there is now no choice - Kondrashin on Aulos. [/u]Snap it up before it disappears. Ideally you should have both Barshai and the Kondrashin."

OK, Kondrashin it is . . . . . . .  :D  I like my Shosty rasping and red in tooth & claw . . . . .

Steve

Now all we need is a wounded Gazelle for Haitink to the complete the metaphor!  ;D

Don

Quote from: D Minor on May 01, 2007, 04:21:53 PM
OK, Kondrashin it is . . . . . . .  :D  I like my Shosty rasping and red in tooth & claw . . . . .

You're making the best selection and won't be sorry.

Steve

With all of this toutin the horn of the Kondrashin, how could I not buy it?  ;D

George

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 04:57:32 PM
With all of this toutin the horn of the Kondrashin, how could I not buy it?  ;D

I haven't . . . . :-\

yet.  ;D

Steve

George

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 05:04:10 PM
My, George, thats what I call a void.

I was wondering if someone was going to not see the bottom and quote it.  ;D

BachQ

Which Kondrashin?  The remastered?  The Melodiya contains two extra tone poems . . . . . .

SonicMan46

OK - this is getting even more confusing as to preferences!  ::)  Everyone 'changing their minds' - I'll await some further listening advice; further, can't decide @ the moment 'how' I like my Shosty - will need to re-listen to what I own at the moment -  ;D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on May 01, 2007, 05:29:30 PM
OK - this is getting even more confusing as to preferences!  ::)  Everyone 'changing their minds' - I'll await some further listening advice; further, can't decide @ the moment 'how' I like my Shosty - will need to re-listen to what I own at the moment -  ;D

This is the most crucial point, Dave. Once you figure that out, it'll be smooth sailing.

BachQ

Quote from: SonicMan on May 01, 2007, 05:29:30 PM

Sorry for the flipflop, SonicMan . . . . . .

As to Kondrashin's Audos vs. Melodiya (from an Amazon review dated April 17, 2007):

The sound on this new set is an improvement over the prior set and is much clearer. Distortions have been markedly reduced (the louder moments in Stepan Razin remain affected). The accompanying booklet contains a good in-depth discussion of all of the works in the set but it does not have, like the earlier set, any of the texts. Each CD is in a cardboard sleeve that has different woodcut illustrations on the face with a complete description of the contents on the CD, including timings, on the reverse. The CDs are held in a flimsy cardboard box that is certain to become slightly crushed or bent in one place or another. I would have preferred a hard case as with the older Kondrashin set.

Also:

[The Melodiya set] also includes all of the Kondrashin/Shostakovich recordings that include The Execution of Stepan Razin, the symphonic poem October, The Second Violin Concerto with David Oistrakh (for whom the concerto was dedicated) and the cantata The Sun Is Shining Over Our Motherland. The total discs in the set are greater by one and the symphonies are arranged chronologically with the additional works as fill-ups.