Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

Steve

Quote from: George on May 02, 2007, 08:20:31 AM
So it already arrived?

No, I need to fix that post. I should have read 'if the construction is as sturdy..." I've only placed the order yesterday. Now that would be quite speedy!  :)

George

Quote from: Steve on May 02, 2007, 02:03:37 PM
No, I need to fix that post. I should have read 'if the construction is as sturdy..." I've only placed the order yesterday. Now that would be quite speedy!  :)

Indeed! Though I think you can get stuff sent overnight. As long as it isn't Conman, I mean Caiman.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: D Minor on May 02, 2007, 12:09:46 PM
So . . . . . . . . can we all agree that this Kondrashin performance is a wise choice (Melodiya with bespectacled cover)?<

No, we can't. Rozhdestvensky Rules!

Besides Rozh, my favorite Shostakovich conductors are Jansons, Haitink, Previn, Ormandy, Sanderling, Bernstein and Rostropovich. But since this is a thread on cycles, I've refrained from participating because I only own one, Jansons. The only reason I'm here now is because I've nowhere else to go at the moment. ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2007, 02:20:18 PM

Besides Rozh, my favorite Shostakovich conductors are Jansons, Haitink, Previn, Ormandy, Sanderling, Bernstein and Rostropovich. But since this is a thread on cycles, I've refrained from participating because I only own one, Jansons. The only reason I'm here now is because I've nowhere else to go at the moment. ;D

Sarge

;D

BachQ

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2007, 02:20:18 PM

Sarge

. . . . . I was just about to click "PLACE ORDER" . . . . . . .  ::)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: D Minor on May 02, 2007, 02:32:57 PM

Well, I can be serious if you want: I own about half of each of their cycles: I do prefer Rozhdestvensky to Kondrashin: the more expansive pacing, the superior sound quality (notwithstanding some fierceness in climaxes). To my ears Kondrashin tends to run roughshod over much of the music and his brass blares. He can be exciting, but how deep does he go?

My preference shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me: I'll almost always go for the slower, more considered performance.

Sarge

Robert

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2007, 02:52:32 PM
Well, I can be serious if you want: I own about half of each of their cycles: I do prefer Rozhdestvensky to Kondrashin: the more expansive pacing, the superior sound quality (notwithstanding some fierceness in climaxes). To my ears Kondrashin tends to run roughshod over much of the music and his brass blares. He can be exciting, but how deep does he go?

My preference shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me: I'll almost always go for the slower, more considered performance.

Sarge
I guess like me you love Celibidache.... :)

Sergeant Rock

Steve

Quote from: D Minor on May 02, 2007, 02:32:57 PM

I do apologize for making this decision harder for you, as I have been constantly tooting the horn of the Jansons. As of right now, I own two of the great cycles, Jansons and Barshai. Well, I return often to the Barshai for his consistent power and dramatic style, it is the Jansons that receives the most play in my house. As you may know from my replies in this thread, I recently placed an order for the Kondrashin.

I selected expedited shipping, (2 Business Days), and now look for its arrival tomorrow. When it comes, it will automatically climb to the top of my playlist, and I shall be able to report back with my thoughts immediately thereafter. If you wanted to wait, I could offer a symphony by symphony comparison for the major ones, and perhaps nudge you further in one direction.

After some comparison, I should be able to decide to whom will go my superlative

SonicMan46

Quote from: Steve on May 02, 2007, 05:33:27 PM
I do apologize for making this decision harder for you, as I have been constantly tooting the horn of the Jansons. As of right now, I own two of the great cycles, Jansons and Barshai... I recently placed an order for the Kondrashin.......

Steve - will look forward (and await) your comments & those by others - thanks for all of your efforts!  ;D

George

If you wanted to wait, I could offer a symphony by symphony comparison for the major ones...

I would very much appreciate this, Steve.  :)

BachQ

I do apologize for making this decision harder for you, as I have been constantly tooting the horn of the Jansons.

After some comparison, I should be able to decide to whom will go my superlative

Looking forward to that.

Right now, I plan on definitely purchasing Kondrashin and Barshai . . . . . .      just because . . . . . . .

Steve

Quote from: D Minor on May 02, 2007, 06:11:32 PM
Looking forward to that.

Right now, I plan on definitely purchasing Kondrashin and Barshai . . . . . .      just because . . . . . . .

You won't be dissapointed with the The Barshai, thats for sure!   :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2007, 12:21:14 PM
I respectfully abstain  0:)

Familiar territory, but this is my sentiment exactly. ;)

It always makes me feel uneasy talking down about a musician whose shoes I'm not fit to shine but I have to admit, when it comes to these "legendary" Kondrashin recordings, I can't help but, well, offer two cents worth of...indecisiveness, maybe?

I'm trying to put a positive spin on it, of course, as indecisiveness isn't really an issue. Convincing me, so far, is!

Anyway, my reasonings for my distaste are spelled out at length in my link a few posts back and it would probably do me good to leave it at that.

Ah, as it's late, maybe I will...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Danny

Love the Haitnik set so far, and especially love his version of the Tenth.

And what a delight to know that the Second and Sixth Symphonies don't suck!

Michel

One thing is for sure, Kondrashin's Mahler 1 IS the best! And thats that!

Any performance where the conductor walks off and then dies as a result must be a must purchase!

BachQ

Dmitri Kitaenko / Cologne Orchestra (Gurzenich-Orchester Köln) / Capriccio / Hybrid SACD

Received many smokin' reviews . . . . . . but it's also among the most expensive sets ($94 at CD UNIVERSE; $135 @ AMAZON)

Has anyone heard this set?

karlhenning

Quote from: Danny on May 02, 2007, 11:11:06 PM
Love the Haitnik set so far, and especially love his version of the Tenth.

And what a delight to know that the Second and Sixth Symphonies don't suck!

Oh, the Sixth is a great piece!

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2007, 02:52:32 PM

Very similar to my own read, Sarge, which is significant (I think) partly because you and I do not necessarily share an inlcination to expansive readings for their own sake.  (I haven't had my morning tea, and I could very likely have phrased that better, but let it stand.)

D Minor, what I will venture to say is, that the set which I am most inclined to purchase, based on what I have heard in individual recordings, is Maksim Dmitriyevich's.  He hasn't gotten any attention on this thread (an observation, not a criticism), but from what I have tasted, I'd like to hear what he has to bring to the whole cycle.