Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

(pictured below: Karl with his anti-Karajan mallet . . . . . .)

Bunny

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2007, 11:21:37 AM
The Barshai was actually my first complete cycle of the Shostakovich Symphonies. To this day, I have never had any qualms with the sonics.

I have the Barshai (my first set), Mravinsky, Kondrashin, Rozhdestvensky and Maxim Shostakovich.  Of all of them, the Maxim Shostakovich has the best sound quality with the Barshai a very, very close second.  The Kondrashin sounds a bit better than the Mravinsky and Rozhdestvensky which have very indifferent sound quality.  Although the Soviet system may have funded the arts, their recording science was not really up to commercial Western standards.  I'm not sure that there is any way to completely clean up the old recordings.  Of course, who knows what wizardry Barrington Coupe might be able to do if he gets  his hands on them. >:D 

BachQ

Quote from: Bunny on May 04, 2007, 12:10:59 PM
The Aulos set. It looks like this:

RussianDVD.com has that on sale for $79.99 with free shipping . . . . . . .

George

Quote from: Drasko on May 02, 2007, 03:31:50 AM
Aulos is from 2003, I think, and bespectacled Melodiya is from 2006. Musicweb is refering to previous Melodiya release. 

Anyone know who's got the best price on the newer Melodiya set?

BachQ

Quote from: George on May 04, 2007, 12:23:24 PM
Anyone know who's got the best price on the newer Melodiya set?

RussianDVD has both the new and old priced at $79,99 . . . . . . best I've found so far . . . . . .

Steve

I've recently heard the Haitink (No. 2, 10, 15), with the help of a good friend. I find it strange that so many that praise Barshai also are fond of the Haitink. The latter was far too dry for me. The Haitink sounded over-dramatic, and really lacking in the sponteniety that I love about the Barshai. They are so radically differnt approaches. Hatink fell off my to buy list almost as fast as it got there in the first place.

George

Quote from: D Minor on May 04, 2007, 12:28:04 PM
RussianDVD has both the new and old priced at $79,99 . . . . . . best I've found so far . . . . . .

I only saw the Aulos. I have to check that out again, thanks.

George (who will soon go deeper into debt)  >:D

karlhenning

Quote from: George on May 04, 2007, 12:32:52 PM

Whoa, take it easy, George!  :D

Steve

Quote from: George on May 04, 2007, 12:32:52 PM

My, thats pricey.  :-\

Bunny

That's where I found it when it was first released; btw the price was higher then.  I suppose the price on that is reduced because the newer set which includes some concertos is now available at the same price I paid for that.  I'll bet that new set has the same remasterings.  If they had remastered again, with all the new material included, they would have asked a steeper price.

George

To be clear, I will be 100% out of debt in one year. If I purchase the Kondrashin, I'll increase my monthly payment by $7.50 or something, that way I'll still be debt free. the card I have is interest free until next April.  8)

George

Quote from: Bunny on May 04, 2007, 12:38:38 PM
That's where I found it when it was first released; btw the price was higher then.  I suppose the price on that is reduced because the newer set which includes some concertos is now available at the same price I paid for that.  I'll bet that new set has the same remasterings.  If they had remastered again, with all the new material included, they would have asked a steeper price.

The Amazon review of the Melodiya claims that it was remastered using the original tapes. Plus $80 isn't exactly a steal.

BachQ

Quote from: Bunny on May 04, 2007, 12:38:38 PM

The new set has flimsy cardboard packaging/boxing and paper sleeves . . . . . . so that helps keep the price down . . . . . .

Harry

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2007, 12:30:49 PM
I've recently heard the Haitink (No. 2, 10, 15), with the help of a good friend. I find it strange that so many that praise Barshai also are fond of the Haitink. The latter was far too dry for me. The Haitink sounded over-dramatic, and really lacking in the sponteniety that I love about the Barshai. They are so radically differnt approaches. Hatink fell off my to buy list almost as fast as it got there in the first place.

Steve my friend think again.  :)

Steve

Quote from: Harry on May 04, 2007, 12:52:59 PM
Steve my friend think again.  :)

I may listen to more of it, but I doubt it will have any significant impact on my purchasing decision. It lacked the needed enthusiasm. Much too sterile for my liking.  :)

Harry

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2007, 01:05:33 PM
I may listen to more of it, but I doubt it will have any significant impact on my purchasing decision. It lacked the needed enthusiasm. Much too sterile for my liking.  :)

Well maybe when you are older, and have heard as much as I, you will find the true merits of Haitink.
Tis not sterile at all, but that is beside the point now.
Barshai is also a very good choice. :)

Steve

Quote from: Harry on May 04, 2007, 01:20:21 PM
Well maybe when you are older, and have heard as much as I, you will find the true merits of Haitink.
Tis not sterile at all, but that is beside the point now.
Barshai is also a very good choice. :)

While Haitink isn't me preference for a great many works, I can appreciate his stylings, too. I just dont appreciate his Shostakovich interpretations. But, it may, come with repeated listening, or it may not.

Either way, I'm glad we are of a similar mind when it comes to the Barshai

Are those the two that you own, Barshai? Or, do you own the Kondrashin as well?

Harry

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2007, 01:25:30 PM
While Haitink isn't me preference for a great many works, I can appreciate his stylings, too. I just dont appreciate his Shostakovich interpretations. But, it may, come with repeated listening, or it may not.

Either way, I'm glad we are of a similar mind when it comes to the Barshai

Are those the two that you own, Barshai? Or, do you own the Kondrashin as well?

I have the Jansons/Haitink/Barshai.
Kondrashin is not my thing.

Danny

Quote from: Michel on May 04, 2007, 05:41:01 AM
I've got this and find others more satisfying. I will return to it, though, in the survey I am currently undertaking. My biggest problem, despite this however, is actually that I don't much like the symphony!

The Tenth is probably my favorite symphony! ;D

Both of the Karajan versions are outstanding (I prefer the '82, though).  I think the Haitnik one is excellent, too, and has excellent orchestration with a good balance among the various instruments.  I don't know if I prefer it to the HVK versions, but it is indeed a marvellous interpretation.   :)

Harry

Quote from: Danny on May 04, 2007, 01:38:56 PM
The Tenth is probably my favorite symphony! ;D

Both of the Karajan versions are outstanding (I prefer the '82, though).  I think the Haitnik one is excellent, too, and has excellent orchestration with a good balance among the various instruments.  I don't know if I prefer it to the HVK versions, but it is indeed a marvellous interpretation.   :)

Most interesting my friend, I am glad you like the Karajan's too! :)