Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: Danny on May 04, 2007, 01:38:56 PM
The Tenth is probably my favorite symphony! ;D

Both of the Karajan versions are outstanding (I prefer the '82, though).  I think the Haitnik one is excellent, too, and has excellent orchestration with a good balance among the various instruments.  I don't know if I prefer it to the HVK versions, but it is indeed a marvellous interpretation.   :)

I envy you, Danny, as I'm still on the hunt for the perfect 10th. I, too enjoy Karajan, but some technical issues prevent me from issueing the superlative.

Danny

Quote from: Harry on May 04, 2007, 01:41:10 PM
Most interesting my friend, I am glad you like the Karajan's too! :)

HVK is one of my favorites--guilty as charged!   ;D

Danny

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2007, 01:44:35 PM
I envy you, Danny, as I'm still on the hunt for the perfect 10th. I, too enjoy Karajan, but some technical issues prevent me from issueing the superlative.

I'll still keep looking for great versions of the Tenth, Steve.  No reason to stop! (especially for a piece I place in my 10).

Steve

Thanks, Danny! Along with the 15th, my two favourite Shostakovich Symphonies.

sonic1

Can we post our favorite versions of each symphony? It would be great to compare everyone's choices.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on May 04, 2007, 11:55:22 AM
I agree. In the end, we really only have our opinions, right? If we stick to saying what we like or what don't like, we absolutely can't be wrong. If I say I love Kondrashin's work in Shostakovich, no one can tell me that I don't like it. This statement is an opinion, but it is also a fact. Its only when people make that jump from I love Kondrashin's DSCH to "Kondrashin's DSCH is how it should be done" or "anyone other than Kondrashinin DSCH is a knucklehead" that we run into problems. Sure, it can be argued that that these are also opinions, but it isn't also fact. To me that the difference. As you say, there is no one "correct" way to approach these works. 

That's how it should play out, of course.

Events conspire, however... ;D

QuoteIn a similar way, I find it very strange when someone tells me that they don't like pizza or ice cream, but that certainly doesn't make that person wrong.  :)   

Rank snobbery!!

;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Steve

Quote from: sonic1 on May 04, 2007, 05:19:33 PM
Can we post our favorite versions of each symphony? It would be great to compare everyone's choices.

Yes, I think thats a wonderful idea. I've only now received my copy of the Kondrashin, so I may be revising this list. As of right now, I'm reveling in a new complete cycle of the Sibelius Symphonies, so my review of the Kondrashin will be forthcoming.

I'll gladly post my revised list soon!

George

Quote from: donwyn on May 04, 2007, 06:20:35 PM
Rank snobbery!!

;D

*scratches Don off the guest list for my next pizza party*  ::) 

;D

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on May 05, 2007, 05:48:41 AM

*scratches Don off the guest list for my next pizza party*  ::) 
;D

Oops...I gave the wrong impression.

I meant to say (jokingly) it's rank snobbery for someone to dismiss pizza/ice cream. ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: donwyn on May 05, 2007, 06:21:27 AM
Oops...I gave the wrong impression.

I meant to say (jokingly) it's rank snobbery for someone to dismiss pizza/ice cream. ;D

Ok, I'll pencil you back in.  ;D

karlhenning

So what does your 'bucket' of Firsts look like, George?

Dancing Divertimentian

George

Quote from: karlhenning on May 05, 2007, 06:23:32 AM
So what does your 'bucket' of Firsts look like, George?

Its more of a teaspoon, actually. I have only Rozhdestvensky on Moscow studio archives. 

karlhenning

Do you want to hold off until the sets you've ordered come rolling in? :-)

And viz. "teaspoon" -- delightfully turned!

George

Quote from: karlhenning on May 05, 2007, 06:28:04 AM
Do you want to hold off until the sets you've ordered come rolling in? :-)

I actually haven't ordered one, though Kondrashin will surely be next.

I don't expect the discussion to be that organized anyway, so I will listen to my #1 over the weekend and post my findings. I love the interpretation, but don't know it well enough to say anything specific yet.

Steve

Speaking of 1sts, my Kondrashin has finally arrived. I'm unwrapping as we speak. First up, the 1st symphony, of coursse. After that, I'll just give Jansons and Barshai a listen for comparision....  :)

karlhenning

My Firsts:

Lopez-Cobos, Cincinnati
Ancerl, Cz Phil
Barshai, WDR
Bernstein, CSO

Will report, but gradually :-)

Steve

Quote from: karlhenning on May 05, 2007, 06:57:39 AM
My Firsts:

Lopez-Cobos, Cincinnati
Ancerl, Cz Phil
Barshai, WDR
Bernstein, CSO

Will report, but gradually :-)

Karl, how is dear old Lenny with this one?

karlhenning

Quote from: Steve on May 05, 2007, 06:58:24 AM
Karl, how is dear old Lenny with this one?

I should speak to more nuts and bolts, but my initial answer is, just a little "big-boned" . . . fine sound, enjoyable reading, just a little on the "grand" side, perhaps.

Steve

Quote from: karlhenning on May 05, 2007, 07:02:19 AM
I should speak to more nuts and bolts, but my initial answer is, just a little "big-boned" . . . fine sound, enjoyable reading, just a little on the "grand" side, perhaps.

Still with that mighty CSO behind you, its hard not to sound a tad 'grand'. I may look into this one. How's he handle the slow movement?