Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Just got my Kondrashin today (the later one on Melodiya with the red eyeglasses on it. It was packed in a solid box, complete with styrofoam peanuts. Got it from Russian DVD.com.

The inner box was slightly torn underneath the plastic wrap, so it is not the fault of the seller. The packaging is indeed flimsy to say the least...

but so far (in Symphony 1) the performance kicks serious ass!! I was seriously frightened a moment ago. :o

The sound is clear and very fine IMO. From M Forever's description of the Aulos as being overfiltered, it is clear that this one is superior.

Run, don't walk my friends. This is fun, enjoyable stuff.  8)

DavidW

George, the Aulos set did sound fuzzy, maybe I should try that Melodiya set sometime then huh?  Thanks for the remark. :)

Steve

Quote from: George on May 10, 2007, 03:36:07 PM
Just got my Kondrashin today (the later one on Melodiya with the red eyeglasses on it. It was packed in a solid box, complete with styrofoam peanuts. Got it from Russian DVD.com.

The inner box was slightly torn underneath the plastic wrap, so it is not the fault of the seller. The packaging is indeed flimsy to say the least...

but so far (in Symphony 1) the performance kicks serious ass!! I was seriously frightened a moment ago. :o

The sound is clear and very fine IMO. From M Forever's description of the Aulos as being overfiltered, it is clear that this one is superior.

Run, don't walk my friends. This is fun, enjoyable stuff.  8)

Glad to see that positive reaction, George. Since my set arrived nearly a week ago, I too have been enjoying it immensely, if only for the aforementioned 'wow' effect. Next stop, Mariss Jansons.  :)

George

Quote from: DavidW on May 10, 2007, 05:30:11 PM
George, the Aulos set did sound fuzzy, maybe I should try that Melodiya set sometime then huh?  Thanks for the remark. :)

No problem. Plus, you get the VC #2 with Oistrakh, The Execution of Stephan Razin, The Sun Shines on our Motherland Cantata and October (symphonic poem). 

Michel

Quote from: Steve on May 10, 2007, 05:35:12 PM
Glad to see that positive reaction, George. Since my set arrived nearly a week ago, I too have been enjoying it immensely, if only for the aforementioned 'wow' effect. Next stop, Mariss Jansons.  :)

You are going to be extremely disapointed.

karlhenning

Quote from: George on May 10, 2007, 05:35:41 PM
No problem. Plus, you get the VC #2 with Oistrakh, The Execution of Stephan Razin, The Sun Shines on our Motherland Cantata and October (symphonic poem). 

October is a fine piece, and (it seems) generally off people's radar.

karlhenning

Just to sign in on the Boxes On Arrival sub-thread  8) . . . .

My Maksim Dmitriyevich box arrived in a bubblewrap-lined envelope, which was a little too large for the box, and which looked only a little distressed from the journey (the shipper, in Long Island City, had not even thought to mark the envelope "Handle With Care").  If the parcel had been handled a bit more carefully, all the appropriate angles would have remained right angles  ::)

Opening the envelope, I found that one and a half edges of the box had folded slightly;  the sort of cosmetic flaw which, had I intended the set as a gift, for instance, would motivate me to demand a replacement.  As the set is simply for myself, though, I contented myself with verifying that all the discs themselves were in excellent condition.  If the envelope had been of a size better suited to the box, and if the box were not notably too deep for the number of discs plus booklet, there had been no problem.  As it is, the condition of the set is acceptable.  (Musically, I've been enjoying it so well, I simply have not cared a whit about the slight crush to the box.)

Harry

Its good to hear, you are delighted with it.
If you think its good enough, its good for me, and I will order it. :)

George

Quote from: karlhenning on May 11, 2007, 04:43:14 AM
Opening the envelope, I found that one and a half edges of the box had folded slightly;  the sort of cosmetic flaw which, had I intended the set as a gift, for instance, would motivate me to demand a replacement.  As the set is simply for myself, though, I contented myself with verifying that all the discs themselves were in excellent condition.  If the envelope had been of a size better suited to the box, and if the box were not notably too deep for the number of discs plus booklet, there had been no problem.  As it is, the condition of the set is acceptable.  (Musically, I've been enjoying it so well, I simply have not cared a whit about the slight crush to the box.)

My feeing about those bubble thingees is that they only seem to be effective for single discs, and even then are only effective when they fit fairly snug. If my Kondrashin had arrived in one of those, it would have been crushed like an empty milk carton.  :-\

It upsets me most because there are ways to ship all kinds of CD's and boxes without being damaged. Otherwise, how would they arrive to the brick and mortar stores intact? We shouldn't have to settle for poorer quality just because we order online.  :-\

Anyway, to get back on topic, I had to listen to Kondrashin's 2 and 3 last night, since the 1st was so enjoyable. I was not disappointed. His readings were deliciously tense and I am amazed at how good the sound is. This (the 11 disc set on Melodiya) clearly is the one to get if you want Kondrashin. I will refrain from more specific comments until my second time through the set.   

karlhenning

Just to follow up briefly . . . once I'd posted my experience, I thought, it can't hurt to try sending e-mail to Customer Service . . . they've gotten back to me promptly, and will make good.

George

Quote from: karlhenning on May 11, 2007, 06:43:09 AM
Just to follow up briefly . . . once I'd posted my experience, I thought, it can't hurt to try sending e-mail to Customer Service . . . they've gotten back to me promptly, and will make good.

Good for you!

Who was the seller?

karlhenning

ArkivMusic, George.

Schedule is a little hectic these weeks coming; not sure when I can do a proper "sit-down" with the Second and Third;  hopefully this weekend!

George

After a great 4th, Kondrashin offered the first disappointment thus far, his 5th. He rushes too much IMO and sacrifices much of the beauty that other conductors find. I like his slow treatment of the coda, where he clearly understands the non-heroic nature of this conclusion. Rostropovich/LSO remains my favorite in this work. The sound in this one became a bother in spots, with shrill strings and even some sound breakups at some point.

Luckily, I have begun listening to Kondrashin's 6th and he seems to be right back on track.  :)

Bunny

Quote from: George on May 17, 2007, 09:52:51 AM
After a great 4th, Kondrashin offered the first disappointment thus far, his 5th. He rushes too much IMO and sacrifices much of the beauty that other conductors find. I like his slow treatment of the coda, where he clearly understands the non-heroic nature of this conclusion. Rostropovich/LSO remains my favorite in this work. The sound in this one became a bother in spots, with shrill strings and even some sound breakups at some point.

Luckily, I have begun listening to Kondrashin's 6th and he seems to be right back on track.  :)

On balance, I get more satisfaction from Kondrashin's Shosty than almost any other cycle.  There are those rare and wonderful individual recordings from others to make up for any deficiencies, though.

Here's one that really rocks and the sound quality is topnotch SACD multichannel:

BachQ

Quote from: Bunny on May 17, 2007, 12:35:26 PM

These are two of the most brilliant and insightful Shostakovich performances to come along in quite a while, and that's saying a lot given the excellence of the recent competition. Certainly if you're looking for this coupling, which is becoming a popular one, this is the disc to have. Yakov Kreizberg's account of the Fifth Symphony is simply the most grimly intense since Sanderling's (Berlin Classics). The first movement is implacably urgent and as architecturally cogent in its monothematic single-mindedness as any conductor has ever projected it. An aptly gruff and gawky scherzo precedes a very slow, hushed, and emotionally draining account of the magnificent Largo. Have you ever noticed that this movement uses no brass instruments at all, but still manages the most powerful climax in the entire symphony?

Kreizberg, like Sanderling, is absolutely convinced that the finale does not represent a "happy" ending. After an impressively portentous opening and a brooding central interlude, he grinds out the coda with as much relentless menace as the music can take, and then some. By the time the movement heaves its lacerated carcass through the final bars, the cessation of sound comes as a positive relief. Throughout, the Russian National Orchestra plays with 100 percent conviction, and PentaTone's sonics, whether in stereo or SACD surround, are extremely natural and well-balanced.

What makes this disc even more special is the fact that the Ninth Symphony is every bit as good. The first movement's deadpan humor comes across with perfect clarity and point. The ghostly waltz that follows has the same quiet intensity as the Fifth Symphony's Largo, while the scherzo demonstrates just how well Kreizberg has the orchestra on its collective toes. His account of the finale just might be the best on disc: he goes completely nuts in the recapitulation, with a freedom of tempo that the composer surely would have applauded, and the coda breezes by at a truly startling clip. It's at once the most hilarious as well as the most satisfying account of this movement to have appeared yet. Do not miss this release.

--David Hurwitz, ClassicsToday.com

George

BachQ

Quote from: George on May 17, 2007, 12:48:30 PM
I must keep an eye out for that one.  :D

God, this thread is getting expensive . . . . . . .

Karl should insert a warning label in the OP . . . . .

Steve

Quote from: D Minor on May 17, 2007, 12:46:01 PM
These are two of the most brilliant and insightful Shostakovich performances to come along in quite a while, and that's saying a lot given the excellence of the recent competition. Certainly if you're looking for this coupling, which is becoming a popular one, this is the disc to have. Yakov Kreizberg's account of the Fifth Symphony is simply the most grimly intense since Sanderling's (Berlin Classics). The first movement is implacably urgent and as architecturally cogent in its monothematic single-mindedness as any conductor has ever projected it. An aptly gruff and gawky scherzo precedes a very slow, hushed, and emotionally draining account of the magnificent Largo. Have you ever noticed that this movement uses no brass instruments at all, but still manages the most powerful climax in the entire symphony?

Kreizberg, like Sanderling, is absolutely convinced that the finale does not represent a "happy" ending. After an impressively portentous opening and a brooding central interlude, he grinds out the coda with as much relentless menace as the music can take, and then some. By the time the movement heaves its lacerated carcass through the final bars, the cessation of sound comes as a positive relief. Throughout, the Russian National Orchestra plays with 100 percent conviction, and PentaTone's sonics, whether in stereo or SACD surround, are extremely natural and well-balanced.

What makes this disc even more special is the fact that the Ninth Symphony is every bit as good. The first movement's deadpan humor comes across with perfect clarity and point. The ghostly waltz that follows has the same quiet intensity as the Fifth Symphony's Largo, while the scherzo demonstrates just how well Kreizberg has the orchestra on its collective toes. His account of the finale just might be the best on disc: he goes completely nuts in the recapitulation, with a freedom of tempo that the composer surely would have applauded, and the coda breezes by at a truly startling clip. It's at once the most hilarious as well as the most satisfying account of this movement to have appeared yet. Do not miss this release.

--David Hurwitz, ClassicsToday.com

Wonderful, yet another Shostakovich Cycle to tempt me. My poor wallet is wailing...  :-\

BachQ

Quote from: Steve on May 17, 2007, 01:41:45 PM
Wonderful, yet another Shostakovich Cycle to tempt me. My poor wallet is wailing...  :-\

Has Kreizberg recorded the entire cycle?  If so, I want a full report . . . . . . .  :D