Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

Quote from: D Minor on May 17, 2007, 01:59:18 PM
Has Kreizberg recorded the entire cycle?  If so, I want a full report . . . . . . .  :D

No.  PentaTone appears to be putting out a cycle of Shostakovich symphonies with different conductors for each release. 

So far we have:
Syms. 1 and 6/Jurowski
Syms. 5 and 9/You know who
Sym. 8/Berglund
Sym. 11/Pletnev

What binds these together is the Russian National Orchestra.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Don on May 17, 2007, 02:07:30 PM
No.  PentaTone appears to be putting out a cycle of Shostakovich symphonies with different conductors for each release. 

So far we have:
Syms. 1 and 6/Jurowski
Syms. 5 and 9/You know who
Sym. 8/Berglund
Sym. 11/Pletnev

What binds these together is the Russian National Orchestra.

Who?

George

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 17, 2007, 02:15:25 PM
Who?

Quote from: Bunny on May 17, 2007, 12:35:26 PM
On balance, I get more satisfaction from Kondrashin's Shosty than almost any other cycle.  There are those rare and wonderful individual recordings from others to make up for any deficiencies, though.

Here's one that really rocks and the sound quality is topnotch SACD multichannel:

PerfectWagnerite

Thanks George.

The Russian National Orchestra, isn't that the pseudonym for the pick-up band Pletnev put together? What a ghastly Tchaikovsky cycle they put together on DG.

BachQ

Fun Fact: Yakov Kreizberg is the younger brother of conductor Semyon Bychkov . . . . . .

karlhenning

Hey! A Steve sighting!

D Minor, have any of your orders come in yet?

I received an advisory e-mail that my replacement box of the Maksim Dmitriyevich set had shipped from ArkivMusic.  I waited a few days before shipping my return (that of the damaged box), because I did not want to do without in the entire interim.

Bunny

OMG! The seal of approval from the hurwitzer?  It's almost enough to scare me! But it is a really excellent album.  I guess he gets it right sometimes. ;)

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on May 17, 2007, 03:53:34 PM
Hey! A Steve sighting!

D Minor, have any of your orders come in yet?

Barshai came yesterday (still wrapped).

Received notice that Jansons has shipped from Florida.

Bunny

Quote from: D Minor on May 17, 2007, 02:43:07 PM
Fun Fact: Yakov Kreizberg is the younger brother of conductor Semyon Bychkov . . . . . .

Bychkov has some interesting Shosty too.

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on May 17, 2007, 03:53:34 PM
I received an advisory e-mail that my replacement box of the Maksim Dmitriyevich set had shipped from ArkivMusic.  I waited a few days before shipping my return (that of the damaged box), because I did not want to do without in the entire interim.

What happened to your original box?  (again?)

BachQ

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on May 17, 2007, 03:59:17 PM
What happened to your original box?  (again?)

The parcel came slightly crushed.  One and a half of the shallow sides of the box were fairly neatly creased.  None of the discs seemed to have suffered any actual damage (the box is large enough that the discs have some play both side-to-side and vertically . . . which is probably part of the problem).

I sent a neutral-toned e-mail to their Customer Service, and they promptly promised to make good.

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on May 17, 2007, 04:05:33 PM
The parcel came slightly crushed.  One and a half of the shallow sides of the box were fairly neatly creased.  None of the discs seemed to have suffered any actual damage (the box is large enough that the discs have some play both side-to-side and vertically . . . which is probably part of the problem).

I sent a neutral-toned e-mail to their Customer Service, and they promptly promised to make good.

Karl, I'm saddened that you will be deprived of your newly-acquired Maksim Dmitriyevich cycle for a few days . . . . . .  :'(

karlhenning

I am touched by your friendly concern, mon vieux!

I am braced for the privation . . . .

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on May 17, 2007, 04:12:38 PM
I am touched by your friendly concern, mon vieux!

I am braced for the privation . . . .

Deprivation only heightens your desire . . . . . .

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: D Minor on May 17, 2007, 02:43:07 PM

How interesting!

Speaking of Bychkov, apparently he's embarking on a complete cycle for Avie. Can't confirm that but the signs seem to point to it. Should be interesting.

I've picked up the 7th from this Avie set but haven't ventured further since two of the other recordings - the 8th and 11th - are duplicated on his earlier Berlin Philharmonic releases...and I already have those.

In fact, these Berlin recordings (5, 8, 11) have always held a place in my heart and it saddened me he never went further. I credit my fondness for the 11th to Bychkov's very fine Berlin reading. I wonder how the recent Avie compares...

Anyway, as soon as this cycle(?) moves into territory not duplicated by Bychkov/Berlin I'll likely begin following it very closely. His new 4th is perched right atop my want list...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

SonicMan46

Boy, All - w/ so many recommendations (and newer ones 'popping up') - the WAIT continues for me - still looking to purchase my first 'complete' set; just so many choices - maybe I need 5 or 6?  ;) ;D

Michel

karlhenning

What has disappointed you about the Jansons set, Michel?  I've only heard his Eighth, Tenth and Fifteenth, but of these the Tenth and Fifteenth are among my favorites!